is there such a thing as a quality gun mounted camera?

I'm half thinking of buying one but they get such bad reviews.  Was thinking of videoing a deer hunt or two.

Anyone have a gun or hat mounted camera they're happy with?

From all the problems reported with them, I'm skeptical that I would be happy with the best one.

I wasn't happy with Tactacam 2.0 (they are up to 5.0 now, I can't speak to the newer models).

I like my ShotKam, but don't buy it if you want this to record something like a deer hunt. ShotKam isn't for recording hunts like that... it is for a different use-case.

I took my friend’s father out last year and called a bird in for him. He had the tactacam 5.0 and I wasn’t overly impressed. 

First video is from Tactacam 2.0 - second video is from my crappy smart phone - quality wise, can you tell the difference? :)

Note the phone can zoom in and out, Tactacam 2.0 can't.  And the Tactacam was not mounted straight on the gun -- it was rotated a bit unbeknownst to me at the time. The Tactacam 2.0 mount doesn't ensure the camera is oriented properly so you have to make sure you do it right. I had to rotate the video during editing (that's why it looks cock-eyed on an angle). Of course, the phone isn't attached to the gun so.. there's that. The Tactacam gives you hands-free video capability - as long as you keep the gun pointed towards what you want to video, even after the shot.

And, yes, amazingly, these were taken at almost the exact same spot on the same farm field 1 year part):

I have a newer version of Taxtacam but the problem with it is the same. Not very good wih low light and not enough zoom to see any detail even at 30 yards.
I use it to review my hunt and on two occasions when I was not sure of shot placement I could review the video on my cell phone and make a decision from there. Other than that the quality just isn't there 

The problem with any gun-mounted camera is recoil.  You’ll have great video until you shoot, then all hell breaks loose.  This is why some of the better hunting videos you see on YouTube have two to three cameras, usually GoPros, mounted in different places.  When the gun goes off, those cameras won’t move.  So you get to see what happens after the shot.

50 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

The problem with any gun-mounted camera is recoil.  You’ll have great video until you shoot, then all hell breaks loose.  This is why some of the better hunting videos you see on YouTube have two to three cameras, usually GoPros, mounted in different places.  When the gun goes off, those cameras won’t move.  So you get to see what happens after the shot.

Yep, I've thought about that, it's really hard to self film, get great footage with no recoil jump.  Think I'll try a head mounted iphone, if it doesn't work, oh well, very little $ laid out.