So, as I mentioned elsewhere, I'm completely new. And I've realized that I'm failing because of something that is completely obvious, but I haven't figured out how to correct it. Simply put: I don't know what to look for, nor how to even find the areas where I should be looking.

I'm hoping somebody out there would be willing to let me tag along with them this coming Saturday. I won't even bring my weapon (unless you ask me to), I'm not looking to step on anybody's harvest. I just want to see what an experienced hunter sees and learn from them. Is anybody willing? I'm in Oxford, Warren County. However, if you're willing, I'll find a way to be wherever at the crack of dawn on Saturday. I just want to learn.

Thank you!

Absolutely everything is a chance for me to learn. If you're going out on Saturday, and are okay with me tagging along to learn, I'd love to come with. Even if nothing is found, I still learn.

Posted (edited)

My permit is Zone 9, Period E (so, I have this coming Saturday and the following Saturday remaining). I've been roaming through Pequest Wildlife Management Area, and have spent a few days worth of time since January (meaning around 40 hours total) exploring it. Not nearly enough, I know, but I'm worried about messing up other people's hunts by not knowing enough of what I'm doing, so... Yeah. That's where I am right now.

Edited by JustMike

I know this isn't your question but... Let me say....

When I first started, I got D permit because you get 10 days and you can hunt morning and evening. I recommend D to new hunters if possible for those reasons, plus the woods are less crowded because people are either burnt out and stop hunting or think it's harder to hunt late season so don't go out D weeks.

Getting an E permit is the worst one to get because (a) you only get 4 days, not the 5 with A, B,C or 10 with D and (b) it's the weekend and everyone is out so there's lots of crowding on public land.

I guess if work or school is in the way and you can't get out during the week, E would have to be it ... But I recommend starting with D if it's at all possible. New hunters need all the time they can get out in the field to get experience, the 10 days versus the 4  means more chances to learn the ropes and get experience.

6 hours ago, rgw said:

I have killed at least one bird every year since I was 10, now 41, probably going to hang it up, I can’t find one to save my life this year 

I went out twice.  Called in two jakes the first time but not within range.  I would not have shot them anyway.  I've been hunting for awhile now and pass on jakes.  Second time I had birds gobbling in the same spot but some dude was ripping up calls like he was in a nation calling championship.  I did not hear a shot and moved on.  I agree with you.  I do not see the number of birds I used to.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JustMike said:

My permit is Zone 9, Period E (so, I have this coming Saturday and the following Saturday remaining). I've been roaming through Pequest Wildlife Management Area, and have spent a few days worth of time since January (meaning around 40 hours total) exploring it. Not nearly enough, I know, but I'm worried about messing up other people's hunts by not knowing enough of what I'm doing, so... Yeah. That's where I am right now.

Just looked at the map of where you've been hunting. Red trail, to yellow trail, cross power line, on top of that ridge by day break and listen.  That's where I would try.  Never been there.  Anywhere on top of that ridge along the private pieces, looks like a lot of woods up there. 

Edited by Nomad
Posted (edited)

Don't know what zone it is Mike. Probably available over the counter permits. Hella alotta turkeys in Glen Gordon up the top of sanatorium road. Unfortunately it's a refuge New Jersey Land trust property. sagedorn. I think you can park and hunt the mountain on 31 across the street from satorium Rd,not sure,not far from you worth checking it out good luck👍

Edited by hunterbob1
8 hours ago, Nomad said:

Just looked at the map of where you've been hunting. Red trail, to yellow trail, cross power line, on top of that ridge by day break and listen.  That's where I would try.  Never been there.  Anywhere on top of that ridge along the private pieces, looks like a lot of woods up there. 

Why there? Asking out of genuine curiousity. Is it just because of the woods, or the border of woods and open space, or the adjoining private property, or something else that makes you choose that? I admit that something about that region made me think of it as plausible, but I have no idea what, or why somebody else might choose it. Thank you!

8 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

Don't know what zone it is Mike. Probably available over the counter permits. Hella alotta turkeys in Glen Gordon up the top of sanatorium road. Unfortunately it's a refuge New Jersey Land trust property. sagedorn. I think you can park and hunt the mountain on 31 across the street from satorium Rd,not sure,not far from you worth checking it out good luck👍

Turns out that's also Zone 9, so the permit I have is good for there as well. Need to ask why it's unfortunate that it's a refuge/new jersey land trust property, though. I'm sure there's rules I'm missing that make that matter, but I have no clue what I'm missing. Thank you!

9 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

I know this isn't your question but... Let me say....

When I first started, I got D permit because you get 10 days and you can hunt morning and evening. I recommend D to new hunters if possible for those reasons, plus the woods are less crowded because people are either burnt out and stop hunting or think it's harder to hunt late season so don't go out D weeks.

I actually chose E to try to give myself more time to read and watch videos before I went out. Didn't help as much as I had hoped :) Ah well, next year, I'll be choosing the longest time window I can.

8 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

If you're talking about Polktown Mountain (south bound side of 31), that's zone 8 turkey

10 hours ago, JustMike said:

I first started I hunted Pequest. Killed my first bird there at 10:30 am. Been a long time since I've been up there. The birds like to roost up on the highest point most of the time. Put on the foot miles looking for scratching's.  And be out in the woods early. Birds gobble early and shut up when they hit the ground a lot of times. Good luck

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, JustMike said:

Why there? Asking out of genuine curiousity. Is it just because of the woods, or the border of woods and open space, or the adjoining private property, or something else that makes you choose that? I admit that something about that region made me think of it as plausible, but I have no idea what, or why somebody else might choose it. Thank you!

I like to get up high and listen.  Most guys won't walk in that far.  By now turkeys have got bumped into overlooked spots. Looks like you could get way up on top and listen down the the other side going towards private.  

The easy ones that were down around the fields are probably up over the top.  Like someone else said look for scratching that will tell you if there are birds around.  

Edited by Nomad