IGNORED

thoughts on Turkey hunting in rain

megavites

so my plan is to get out for the 1st time tomorrow with what looks like light rain in the forecast. Never hunted them in the rain and not sure what to expect. From what I've read they may stay on the roost longer or alter their routine.

Any insight?

32 minutes ago, megavites said:

so my plan is to get out for the 1st time tomorrow with what looks like light rain in the forecast. Never hunted them in the rain and not sure what to expect. From what I've read they may stay on the roost longer or alter their routine.

Any insight?

Here's my forecast. All my life of my hunting experiences, I ignored the forecasters on the news, they get a lot of money for being wrong, if I'd have to listen to them I wouldn't have gotten 75% of the harvests that I have taken! Git out there and git her done.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

28 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

Here's my forecast. All my life of my hunting experiences, I ignored the forecasters on the news, they get a lot of money for being wrong, if I'd have to listen to them I wouldn't have gotten 75% of the harvests that I have taken! Git out there and git her done.

Bob couldn’t agree more.  Some of my best days hunting were crapshoot days that we very close to not happening but I took a chance and it payed off.

1 minute ago, Eyesofthewoods said:

Bob couldn’t agree more.  Some of my best days hunting were crapshoot days that we very close to not happening but I took a chance and it payed off.

That's the spirit kiddo. 

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

I have to admit I’m nervous about my shotgun getting soaking wet (it’s not a waterproof waterfowl gun or anything, just a regular wooden stock Mossberg 500 with blued barrel). Not to mention I’m still pretty new to hunting and have no camo rain gear yet, so I would also be soaking wet after a while if it indeed does rain. I live about 70-80 minutes away from my hunting zone so Idk about waking up at 2:30am only to get soaked, though I would be willing to do it if: A. it doesn’t ruin my gun, and B. I actually have a chance of getting a bird. In my limited experience and what I’ve heard, they tend to be so much less active in the rain. It’s been a terrible season for so far in zone 2... went out 3 days of A week with only 1 distant gobble, and nothing in the crazy wind first Saturday of E week.

1 minute ago, alabjr said:

I have to admit I’m nervous about my shotgun getting soaking wet (it’s not a waterproof waterfowl gun or anything, just a regular wooden stock Mossberg 500 with blued barrel). Not to mention I’m still pretty new to hunting and have no camo rain gear yet, so I would also be soaking wet after a while if it indeed does rain. I live about 70-80 minutes away from my hunting zone so Idk about waking up at 2:30am only to get soaked, though I would be willing to do it if: A. it doesn’t ruin my gun, and B. I actually have a chance of getting a bird. In my limited experience and what I’ve heard, they tend to be so much less active in the rain. It’s been a terrible season for so far in zone 2... went out 3 days of A week with only 1 distant gobble, and nothing in the crazy wind first Saturday of E week.

Set up a blind.  You'll be nice and dry

11 hours ago, alabjr said:

It’s a shotgun. It will be fine. Just give it a good cleaning. Good luck

22 hours ago, alabjr said:

When you're done hunting break the gun down, clean, dry, and lubricate. It ain't made out of salt, it won't melt 

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."