IGNORED

Refinishing an antique bamboo fly rod.

flukebelly

My buddy got a hold of 5 older , American Picker  style fishing rods. 4 were bamboo fly rods and one was a telescoping steel rod made by a hardware store in Conn. After looking through them we decided these old guys needed a chance to get back on the water.  I choose a 9ft unmarked rod that seems to feel like a 5wt. The only identification on the rod is a name that says N.S Erney. Allentown Pa. i assume it was handmade by this gentleman quite a while ago. It has a a few small twists , but nothing too bad. The tip has the most pronounced bend , but by repositioning the tip, the bend will flow with eyes when i reset them.

so far i have stripped off all of the old finish, removed the fraying old wraps, cleaned and polished the ferrules, sanded the cork, sanded the rod all the way down starting with 800 grit down to 6000 grit, and then after wiping with acetone, i let it dry to prep for the first coat of oil.

here are the first round of pics... i hope to take pics along the way and keep posting progress right up until the first fish is landed !

mine is the 3rd from the right.

BA4CE8AF-59F2-4490-8478-3AB9FD136CFC.jpeg

47DC6D17-9DD5-4274-A97B-2EEEFE27FFBF.jpeg

Fly reels are much harder to find........usually when I see that wooden box with fly rods in it its Japanese......cool stuff.......have fun.....

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

56 minutes ago, MRMCR said:

Fly reels are much harder to find........usually when I see that wooden box with fly rods in it its Japanese......cool stuff.......have fun.....

You are correct...the one in the box is a Sakura . 5 pieces in pretty decent shape. Found them on line for about $150 in mint condition. This one is NOT  mint. It’s 3rd on the list for refinishing. The Southbend with the automatic reel is next.

4 minutes ago, flukebelly said:

I love that reel ! It’s just so cheesy !

Haven't heard that in a coon's age.

It was metal heavy and awkward!

I then went to cortland  graphite.

Many people confuse the two, and it is a matter of opinion to a certain degree, but things can be sentimental, emotional, or dramatic without being cheesy.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Used to buy sell & trade bamboo fly rods and fly reels. Refinished quite a few rods also, some just a guide needing rewrapping some complete strip down like you are doing. Fun relaxing work, enjoy !

Have 2 Leonards (model 49 & model50) I don't use and would sell or trade if anyone is interested and reels to fit. A Leonard 50 and a Hardy Perfect.

Below is a kind of neat lamp for a man cave. It has a Shakespeare N0. 1837 Model 60 reel / with line sell or trade also.

IMG_20210507_092716936_HDR.jpg

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

Just remembered that I bought the lamp without the reel from Mark Dettmar when he and his Dad had their shop in Pennington. A great guy who passed on to other waters too early. Can't remember the name of their shop?

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

22 hours ago, flukebelly said:

You are correct...the one in the box is a Sakura . 5 pieces in pretty decent shape. Found them on line for about $150 in mint condition. This one is NOT  mint. It’s 3rd on the list for refinishing. The Southbend with the automatic reel is next.

Ive seen those automatic reels in a few different colors.....blue, green and burgundy......they were a novelty during their time.....

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

6 minutes ago, MRMCR said:

Ive seen those automatic reels in a few different colors.....blue, green and burgundy......they were a novelty during their time.....

I fought with the reel line retrieve more than I fought with the fish , kinda  like Henry and Edsel it was a flop.:banghead:..lol

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

1 minute ago, hunterbob1 said:

I fought with the reel line retrieve more than I fought with the fish.:banghead:..lol

At least you fought some fish..................

• 4 months later...