Feral Cat colonies....negative impacts on wildlife

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, gregtpal said:

Just think how often you see a cat hunting while you are hunting....most are there doing that 24/7/365...

That reminds me of something that happened to me this past small game season. I shot a squirrel with my airgun, but I didn't retrieve it -- I left it lay dead out in front where it dropped because there were more squirrels around that I wanted to try to get.

A cat walked in, practically did a double-take when it saw the dead squirrel just a few feet away from it, and immediately froze and then went into "stalk mode", grabbed the squirrel by the neck, turned and carried it away! I guess he needed it more than I did; I just let him take it.

Edited by mazzgolf

Had an incident two weeks ago, when a very sickly looking cat showed up at my house.  Unfortunately, where I now live, shooting is not an option - no safe angles, too many prying eyes.

I trapped it on a Saturday.  Called the Cumberland County animal shelter and was told they would not take it, it's the responsibility of the municipal animal control officer.  Called him and was told he only works Mon. thru Fri.!  I left the poor, whining thing in the trap until it could be taken away on Monday.  (Yeah, I did feed and water it.)  I think it would have been more humane to put a .22 bullet in its melon, but I'm not getting arrested over a worthless cat.

14 minutes ago, 6.5 Swede said:

Had an incident two weeks ago, when a very sickly looking cat showed up at my house.  Unfortunately, where I now live, shooting is not an option - no safe angles, too many prying eyes.

I trapped it on a Saturday.  Called the Cumberland County animal shelter and was told they would not take it, it's the responsibility of the municipal animal control officer.  Called him and was told he only works Mon. thru Fri.!  I left the poor, whining thing in the trap until it could be taken away on Monday.  (Yeah, I did feed and water it.)  I think it would have been more humane to put a .22 bullet in its melon, but I'm not getting arrested over a worthless cat.

They dont make it easy for you any more

3 hours ago, 6.5 Swede said:

I think it would have been more humane to put a .22 bullet in its melon

Reminds me of a story I heard from Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs fame. Listen to him tell the story of how the animal rights people don't get it (at least in this one particular instance).

Start at the 1 minute 25 second mark .... you get the idea by the time you get to minute 6. You can continue on, though, if you want a good laugh :) 

What part do you guy's not understand . Its not the cats fault some one dump him. put the blame on the POS  that dumped them.. they are just trying to survive. i have a friend that has a big barn right off the road and people dump their house cats they no longer want ... That Sucks for the Cat !

6 minutes ago, jumpthestring said:

What part do you guy's not understand . Its not the cats fault some one dump him. put the blame on the POS  that dumped them.. they are just trying to survive. i have a friend that has a big barn right off the road and people dump their house cats they no longer want ... That Sucks for the Cat !

We get it but what is the solution? 

6 hours ago, Lunatic said:

We get it but what is the solution? 

I wish i had a solution . There are responsble pet owners that love their animals. than there is people who could give 2 shits about what happens to them. 

2 minutes ago, jumpthestring said:

I wish i had a solution . There are responsble pet owners that love their animals. than there is people who could give 2 shits about what happens to them. 

If we started enforcing the law and prosecuted offenders and gave the stiff fines we could probably lower local taxes.

7 hours ago, jumpthestring said:

Nobody blames the cat but sacrifices must be made.