IGNORED

OTC Bear Tags

BHC

I often wonder just how many of the private land hunters complaining about bears actually open their land up to bear hunting.....

We will have 5 guys once again in the gap trying for bear....hopefully there are some bears on that public ground

referral-0686239001424316551.png

PredaTorch.com         Hot Estrous Doe and Other Deer Scent, Night Predator Lights

Hey Joe

State is saying 5901 permits left. For the life of me I cannot understand why there isn't more hunters doi there part to curb the bear population up there. Only 4,099 permits sold... And I have 2 and so does one of my guys... Probably closer to 3000 hunters targeting bear up there. Why the severe lack of interest when there have been so many complaints from non hunters and hunters alike?

PredaTorch.com         Hot Estrous Doe and Other Deer Scent, Night Predator Lights

I believe the lack of interest is related to the probability a hunter has to harvest a bruin.  I also believe this is partly due to the poor design of the bear season and a direct effect of the antis jeopardizing the hunt every year.

I have a feeling those folks who've seen bear on their cameras all year long won't see as many during 6-day because it's very late in the season.  If the state allows F&W to host a proper population management hunt, I suppose it would occur earlier in the year when the bears are more active.  Unfortunately, they don't have the opportunity to do that.

That's just my opinion.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I understand it not being cheap. I've been up every year since it restarted.

As far as success rates.... I guess guys are used to hunting and harvesting deer over bait piles and expected bear to be just as easy. Baiting does make it somewhat easier but it's not a cure all. As far the season being to late. I agree it is BUT all the bear are NOT denned up... The Pa studies which are extensive has shown countless times that bear are not true hibornators, but more sleepers... If the food is there then there are bear. They will feed all winter no matter how cold if there is food available.

The way I see it....

jerseys issue is a lack of pressure on private land while the public ground gets pounded. Bear are sensitive to that pressure and have much much bigger home ranges than deer. Once the Orange army hits public ground the bear head for places that are more quiet. Now of course there are some still around and some get killed but if the pressure isn't put where it's needed then they just will not be killed.

If Jersey truly wants the bear wiped out then make every area inside the bear zones both public and private completely open during the course of the season and put the pressure where needed.

If Jersey truly wants the bear wiped out then make every area inside the bear zones both public and private completely open during the course of the season and put the pressure where needed.

Whoever said any person or agency in NJ wanted the bears wiped out?  And I'm not sure what you're saying with "both public and private completely open.....".  Does that mean my landowner needs to ignore his property rights for 6 Day and let anyone that wants to hunt bears on his land?  Even though we have a hunt club hunting bears?  Perhaps you mean something else.  

Why the lack of interest................. IMO:

1. the season overlap.  If I think I have deer very nearby, I might not shoot a bear, not wanting to give away my position;
  2. the hassle of getting a bear out of the woods, getting it to a butcher, potential taxi costs...........like BHC said - not cheap;
  3. the idea that bear meat is inedible.  I think that's a common misconception when, in reality, I think bear is better than venison, IF property handled;
  4. its the 5th year in a row - the allure for those who were already previously successful is worn off;
  5. its six-day deer season.  Private land guys after strictly deer are not gonna open it up for bear hunters only to screw up deer season.

As far as success rates.... I guess guys are used to hunting and harvesting deer over bait piles and expected bear to be just as easy. Baiting does make it somewhat easier but it's not a cure all. As far the season being to late. I agree it is BUT all the bear are NOT denned up... The Pa studies which are extensive has shown countless times that bear are not true hibornators, but more sleepers... If the food is there then there are bear. They will feed all winter no matter how cold if there is food available.

The way I see it....

jerseys issue is a lack of pressure on private land while the public ground gets pounded. Bear are sensitive to that pressure and have much much bigger home ranges than deer. Once the Orange army hits public ground the bear head for places that are more quiet. Now of course there are some still around and some get killed but if the pressure isn't put where it's needed then they just will not be killed.

You mention two very good points:  baiting and the orange invasion.

I think a lot of bear hunters don't bait.  I don't, but then again I'm looking for deer.  I don't want to bear-bait my deer spot.  Additionally, you need to be 300 feet from bear bait, you can hunt on top of your deer bait as a comparison.  My deer bait for bow season is 20 yards away from my blind.  Making a 100 yard shot is not ideal, and it means if you bait you need to have a wide open space with a generous (IMHO) shooting lane.  I know in my spot I'd have to set up at the extreme ends of the area to comply with the 100 yard rule.  Just some differences between baiting deer and bear.

I agree that when the orange army goes tromping through the forest that everything moves to the suburbs.  That's one of the reasons I usually don't hunt 6-day.  I'm sure the bear, which I consider slightly smarter than deer, move far away.

Jersey needs to improve the hunt overall, but we're stuck because the antis were more organized than we were, and we allowed them to dictate this season to us.  Next time we need to be more vigilant.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

Whoever said any person or agency in NJ wanted the bears wiped out?  And I'm not sure what you're saying with "both public and private completely open.....".  Does that mean my landowner needs to ignore his property rights for 6 Day and let anyone that wants to hunt bears on his land?  Even though we have a hunt club hunting bears?  Perhaps you mean something else.

I mean that all we hear is how many bear there are and how much damage they are causing and how they are ruining people's deer hunting....

I mean that the state issues 10000 tags for a reason. They want more dead than 200-300 a year.

And yes I mean that if the state wants to get serious with population control then landowner rights need to be curbed for the greater good. Your property may get hunted but a great many more are getting deer hunted only. Deer is king apparently, habitat and population control be damned.

I say if the bear are such a problem then treat them as such and get serious with a solution. Im not saying some landowners and some hunters don't try to reduce them but there's a vast majority of deer hunters who could care less and focus solely on "not ruining their deer hunting"

Why the lack of interest................. IMO:

• the season overlap.  If I think I have deer very nearby, I might not shoot a bear, not wanting to give away my position;
  • the hassle of getting a bear out of the woods, getting it to a butcher, potential taxi costs...........like BHC said - not cheap;
  • the idea that bear meat is inedible.  I think that's a common misconception when, in reality, I think bear is better than venison, IF property handled;
  • its the 5th year in a row - the allure for those who were already previously successful is worn off;
  • its six-day deer season.  Private land guys after strictly deer are not gonna open it up for bear hunters only to screw up deer season.

Exactly!