54 minutes ago, Mallard1100 said:

I was on the hunt for blues on the fly today. Found them in shallow calm water fishing a popper but they just would not commit which was strange. They would follow and track then take a short swipe and not hit it. I lost 2 and landed 1 but had endless follows and boils. Did manage a few stripers mixed in which was nice on a popper. 

BD9FA7E9-F65D-4093-A677-7ED30EBEF6A7.jpeg

8232BBCF-080B-4BCB-9678-5BC472F32431.jpeg

Probably with just another couple degrees warmer water and they should be a lot more active.  I couldn't get one to come up on any top water. But they would jump on a plug just under the surface. 

Posted (edited)

My dad loved catching blues, when was I young we would hit the Shrewsbury Rocks late afternoons and catch alligator blues with umbrellas rigs so reeling in several at time wasn't uncommon. I caught enough back then to last me a lifetime, trust me if I never see one again it wouldn't break my heart...lol

Edited by bucky
1 hour ago, Buck154 said:

Probably with just another couple degrees warmer water and they should be a lot more active.  I couldn't get one to come up on any top water. But they would jump on a plug just under the surface. 

My father and I came to the same conclusion. Except these fish would not take anything subsurface. They would stalk the top water even pencil poppers and give a very subtle strike or false attack.  Awesome to watch the shark like attacks but they would short strike and be gone. Hoping within a week or so their aggression will rise. :)

8 hours ago, archer36 said:

Try making fish cakes out of them. The best you will eat. Just remove all of the brown meat along the middle of the fillet before cooking. 

Montauk Crab Cakes (made with Bluefish) 

I was asked to post this.
Ingredients:
1 lb Bluefish filets (removed of skin and dark meat)
1 egg
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
2 tsp. Worcestershire
1 Tbs. Mayo
1 Tbs. chopped parsley
1 Tbs. melted butter
3/4 cup plain bread crumbs
butter or oil to fry in
lemon wedges

Poach the Bluefish filets in white wine until flaky and let cool. Break up meat (as much as you like) and add all remaining ingredients except oil and lemon. Mix well, form patties (about 4" in diameter), and chill in frig. about 30 min. Heat the oil/butter in frying pan. Dip crab cakes in flour and fry until golden. Keep in mind, the Bluefish has been pre-cooked so it doesn't have to fry long. Squeeze lemon prior to eating. I like mine topped with tartar sauce or horseradish mayo.
Enjoy and don't tell anyone it's Bluefish!

Note: you can add red or green bell pepper to your liking. 

Very similar recipe however we use instant mashed potatoes in place of the breadcrumbs. 

As others stated bleed them and ice right away with saltwater bath. 

Also the fish caught in a chum slick are disgusting. 

12 hours ago, bucky said:

My dad loved catching blues, when was I young we would hit the Shrewsbury Rocks late afternoons and catch alligator blues with umbrellas rigs so reeling in several at time wasn't uncommon. I caught enough back then to last me a lifetime, trust me if I never see one again it wouldn't break my heart...lol

Don't matter if it was a bluefish, bass or a 5 gallon bucket. They all fight similar on the rods you use with umbrella rigs. Way to heavy. I like anything that is pulling drag so big blues on the right tackle are fun. I don't fish for food, I fish for fun. If I want fish to eat I will go for fluke, seabass or tog. 

37 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

Don't matter if it was a bluefish, bass or a 5 gallon bucket. They all fight similar on the rods you use with umbrella rigs. Way to heavy. I like anything that is pulling drag so big blues on the right tackle are fun. I don't fish for food, I fish for fun. If I want fish to eat I will go for fluke, seabass or tog. 

If you want a fight...............tuna, tarpon, & swordfish. 

12 hours ago, OMC said:

Very similar recipe however we use instant mashed potatoes in place of the breadcrumbs. 

As others stated bleed them and ice right away with saltwater bath. 

Also the fish caught in a chum slick are disgusting. 

Some recipes call for crumbled saltine crackers instead of bread crumbs too. 

2 hours ago, Buck154 said:

Agreed, I have caught them with all types of tackle after catching 2 or 3  the luster is gone. If they would unhook themselves at boat side 5 or 6 would be fine:up: