IGNORED

Great Turkey for mom

iluv2hunt

My parents only get out hunting a couple times a year and won’t hunt unless I’m with them so I took my mom and dad out for a turkey hunt today. We met up around 5 am and got settled in the blind around 5:45. We were hunting the same field where me and my sister-in-law killed our  birds on Monday. There has been turkeys in the field every  morning and afternoon all week. So I knew there were turkeys in the area. We started hearing gobbling on the next farm over as it’s was getting day light but the wind Started to pick up so it made hard to hear. About 645 we hear gobbles from behind us off in the distance. I made a few yelps and got a response. After a few minutes the tom gobbles again and is closer now. So we knew he was coming. I had two hen decoys set up. A breeding hen and upright hen. I was sitting behind my parents so I couldn’t  see out of the blind as well as my parents. My dad taps my leg and says he’s coming from the left. He’s wasn’t  kidding. This Tom came in strutting and was on a March right up to the breeding hen. He immediately climbed on the decoy and started to breed my decoy. My mom asked if she could shoot him and I gave her the green light to take him. One shot from her 20 gauge dropped him at 21 yards. He tipped the scales at 22lbs and sported 103/4 inch beard with 1 1/4 inch spur on the right side and 1 inch spur on the left. We almost doubled up an hour later. On another really nice Tom but he wouldn’t get any closer then 55 yards. My dad didn’t feel comfortable with the shot so the Tom lives to gobble another day but he put on a show for us. It was a great day of hunting. 

6136C184-4C88-4FFF-AB73-6904C58FA46C.jpeg

FC9006C1-7197-45D8-884D-75CF2AD7E868.jpeg

Edited by iluv2hunt

3 hours ago, iluv2hunt said:

My parents only get out hunting a couple times a year and won’t hunt unless I’m with them so I took my mom and dad out for a turkey hunt today. We met up around 5 am and got settled in the blind around 5:45. We were hunting the same field where me and my sister-in-law killed our  birds on Monday. There has been turkeys in the field every  morning and afternoon all week. So I knew there were turkeys in the area. We started hearing gobbling on the next farm over as it’s was getting day light but the wind Started to pick up so it made hard to hear. About 645 we hear gobbles from behind us off in the distance. I made a few yelps and got a response. After a few minutes the tom gobbles again and is closer now. So we knew he was coming. I had two hen decoys set up. A breeding hen and upright hen. I was sitting behind my parents so I couldn’t  see out of the blind as well as my parents. My dad taps my leg and says he’s coming from the left. He’s wasn’t  kidding. This Tom came in strutting and was on a March right up to the breeding hen. He immediately climbed on the decoy and started to breed my decoy. My mom asked if she could shoot him and I gave her the green light to take him. One shot from her 20 gauge dropped him at 21 yards. He tipped the scales at 22lbs and sported 103/4 inch beard with 1 1/4 inch spur on the right side and 1 inch spur on the left. We almost doubled up an hour later. On another really nice Tom but he wouldn’t get any closer then 55 yards. My dad didn’t feel comfortable with the shot so the Tom lives to gobble another day but he put on a show for us. It was a great day of hunting. 

6136C184-4C88-4FFF-AB73-6904C58FA46C.jpeg

FC9006C1-7197-45D8-884D-75CF2AD7E868.jpeg

Congrats! 

That 2nd bird was waiting for hens to go to him so he could breed them.  A hen will go to a tom when she's ready.  Move the decoys closer to your blind.  If they were at 20 yards put them at 10 yards.  

You'll get em.  Good luck.