IGNORED

New to NJ , where to start?

PURPLE HAYSE

2 minutes ago, 10deer said:

in your backyard lots of deer around  in piscataway  look at the deer damage behind the way station on 287 nothing for the first 4 feet  

Yea I got almost pet deer in the small woodlot behind our apt where I walk my dog. It blows my mind they let people get so close without caring, down south that would be the recipe for a very short life span.

4 minutes ago, PURPLE HAYSE said:

I absolutely love hunting low swamp land it makes me feel at home!

Home is where the heart is, root's are important!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

2 minutes ago, PURPLE HAYSE said:

And could someone please explain the no Sunday public land hunting up here? I mean I get that it's not allowed but why? I thought I was from the dang bible belt but geez that's a tough one to get past.

You can Sunday hunt on public lands - but only for deer and only with archery equipment. No firearms on Sundays and no archery unless it's for deer.

Why? *shrug* But, I'm sure it's some kind of traditional Blue Law thing, but I also think it's for noise-reduction on Sundays - letting people that live next to hunting grounds to live in peace for at least one day a week :) 

1 minute ago, mazzgolf said:

You can Sunday hunt on public lands - but only for deer and only with archery equipment. No firearms on Sundays and no archery unless it's for deer.

Why? *shrug* But, I'm sure it's some kind of traditional Blue Law thing, but I also think it's for noise-reduction on Sundays - letting people that live next to hunting grounds to live in peace for at least one day a week :) 

Oh wow thanks, I totally missed that part! I'm pretty much bow only most of the time so that's awesome!

8 minutes ago, PURPLE HAYSE said:

Y'all seem to be loaded with deer, at least around the edison area where I am. I'm actually kinda surprised that only one buck per season is allowed (unless I read that wrong) 

:rofl: That's what some people on here want, but that's not NJ... the number of bucks per year is VERY liberal, if you are willing to pay for permits. Yes, its one buck per permit per season, but there are several seasons - fall bow, permit bow, shotgun, muzzy, winter bow... all allow bucks to be shot (e.g. shooting a buck during fall bow doesn't mean you can't shoot a buck during permit bow doesn't mean you can't shoot a buck during shotgun, or muzzy, or winter bow). Very liberal bag limits here. It's even "worse" for does.

:rofl: That's what some people on here want, but that's not NJ... the number of bucks per year is VERY liberal, if you are willing to pay for permits. Yes, its one buck per permit per season, but there are several seasons - fall bow, permit bow, shotgun, muzzy, winter bow... all allow bucks to be shot (e.g. shooting a buck during fall bow doesn't mean you can't shoot a buck during permit bow doesn't mean you can't shoot a buck during shotgun, or muzzy, or winter bow). Very liberal bag limits here. It's even "worse" for does.

Ah that does make it a bit different, I'm used to it all being one long bow season from mid September til end of February with 2 bucks or 6 total deer per season unless it's at a urban hunt area then they don't count towards your bag limit.

Here's your bag limits for archery - the limits "reset" for each new season. The only time one season affects the other is 6-day vs. shotgun permit season -- IIRC if you shoot both your allowed bucks during 6-day, you can't shoot a buck during shotgun permit season. (BTW: "6-day" refers to the statewide shotgun season that occurs one week in December - this season only requires you have a shotgun license (no permits required) and you can hunt anywhere stateside -- no need for zone specific permit). And once you read about our zone-specific permitting system, you are going to wish you were back in Arkansas :) 

https://www.njfishandwildlife.org/pdf/2020/deer_regs_archery20-21.pdf

Here's your bag limits for archery - the limits "reset" for each new season. The only time one season affects the other is 6-day vs. shotgun permit season -- IIRC if you shoot both your allowed bucks during 6-day, you can't shoot a buck during shotgun permit season. (BTW: "6-day" refers to the statewide shotgun season that occurs one week in December - this season only requires you have a shotgun license (no permits required) and you can hunt anywhere stateside -- no need for zone specific permit). And once you read about our zone-specific permitting system, you are going to wish you were back in Arkansas :) 

https://www.njfishandwildlife.org/pdf/2020/deer_regs_archery20-21.pdf

Gotcha, I'm pretty selective in what deer I take so it shouldn't be much of a problem for me , but if it was only a single buck per year like I thought. I would have a hard time using it on a mediumish size buck.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Mazz, I’m sorry hope you don’t mind, I’m sure you know but the op may not. It’s not public land but wmas and obviously private lands and as stated archery for deer. 

Yes. Sorry... Thanks for correcting. Even though things like state parks and state forests are also public lands, that isn't included in the Sunday hunting laws.. only on public lands that are designated WMAs.

On 5/1/2021 at 2:22 AM, PURPLE HAYSE said:

I'm from Arkansas but lived in nyc the past few years. I just moved to Piscataway and would really appreciate any input on nearby public land. I'm not asking for spots , just which lands are worth checking out first.

WMAs are usually packed. I have a stand up on Federal land where supposedly nobody had been in years  according to the group i hunt with but yet this year the orange army invaded. I'm guessing COVID-related. If you want to hang a stand up i highly recommend locking it, i constantly see posts about stolen stands as well as stolen trail cameras.

Private land is clutch. If you can land permission to hunt private land by all means take advantage of that.

As stated previously on this chain, New Jersey does provide wonderful hunting grounds. I do hunt a WMA and Federal public land during season. Baiting is not legal on Federal Land - it is legal on WMA's and private as an FYI.

On 5/1/2021 at 1:39 PM, BHC said:

Where to start you ask....start by moving out of this sh*t hole state 

The State is great with hunting and fishing opportunities but the government here wants to bend you over every chance they get. Guess I got to reluctantly agree with you.

On 5/1/2021 at 2:22 AM, PURPLE HAYSE said:

I'm from Arkansas but lived in nyc the past few years. I just moved to Piscataway

If you're into such things, Rutgers gives priority to Piscataway residents for the management bowhunt at their ecological preserve there. Used to, anyway.

Welcome to NJ.