IGNORED

Lost or broken fishing rods & reels

I saw a post from flukebelly where he said he had "the pleasure of watching a $400 set up sink into the deep after missing my rod holder behind me ," . It got me thinking who else has lost or broke a rod while fishing or in transit to or from fishing. 

About ten years ago I took a friend of mine and his son who are both experienced at fishing on my boat to go fluke fishing. While we were out fishing my friend said to me that he really liked my one setup, (it was a Shimano Torium  TO 30 on a Cabela's rod and it was somewhere around $300 for the set up) my reply to him was it was my favorite combination out of all my rods and reels.  A couple of drifts later I went into the cabin to grab something and I hear my friend yell my name and he said "your rod" I thought it had a fish on so I told him to reel it in, he said "no, your rod" so I came out of the cabin and he was standing there pointing into the water and told me he leaned the rod on the gunnel and it went over, and he said we can get it, I said it is gone, we were in about 25 feet of water and with wind and tide we would never find it. 

About 3 years ago I took an inexperienced friend and his two young children fishing on my pontoon boat and when we were docking he offered to help and I told him to just stay out of the way and I would take care of everything, when he jumped up to "help" when he tripped on his own two feet and when he fell he broke one of my rods.

I took another friend fishing when he had one of my rods and was bending the tip with his hand and saying he liked the action on it, I told him not to bend the rod like that or he would brake it when he replied you can't brake a rod like that watch and as he was bending it he snapped the tip on it. 

And one more friend broke my rod in a car door. . . .  . . . . . I think I need new friends

I’ve lost 1 rod over. On a buddies boat, he didn’t have the seat secured to the floor 🤦🏼‍♂️. He takes off, I roll backwards. I’m just grabbing to break my fall, some how knock my rod over the side. I was falling on my back as I see the rod falling. Probably 15 years ago and I can still picture in slow motion the rod going over lol. 

With that in mind, I “caught” two set ups in the same week, two different trips and two different boats. One was a cheap glass rod that I used for years, was my favorite black fish rod for awhile, nice back bone, reel was cheap and shot, so I threw it away. 

The second set up, was a cheap rod I threw out. It had a Penn 109 Levelwind that I rebuilt and used for years. Both set ups ended up getting stolen when someone broke into my backyard shed. 

1 hour ago, ratherbhunting said:

I saw a post from flukebelly where he said he had "the pleasure of watching a $400 set up sink into the deep after missing my rod holder behind me ," . It got me thinking who else has lost or broke a rod while fishing or in transit to or from fishing. 

About ten years ago I took a friend of mine and his son who are both experienced at fishing on my boat to go fluke fishing. While we were out fishing my friend said to me that he really liked my one setup, (it was a Shimano Torium  TO 30 on a Cabela's rod and it was somewhere around $300 for the set up) my reply to him was it was my favorite combination out of all my rods and reels.  A couple of drifts later I went into the cabin to grab something and I hear my friend yell my name and he said "your rod" I thought it had a fish on so I told him to reel it in, he said "no, your rod" so I came out of the cabin and he was standing there pointing into the water and told me he leaned the rod on the gunnel and it went over, and he said we can get it, I said it is gone, we were in about 25 feet of water and with wind and tide we would never find it. 

About 3 years ago I took an inexperienced friend and his two young children fishing on my pontoon boat and when we were docking he offered to help and I told him to just stay out of the way and I would take care of everything, when he jumped up to "help" when he tripped on his own two feet and when he fell he broke one of my rods.

I took another friend fishing when he had one of my rods and was bending the tip with his hand and saying he liked the action on it, I told him not to bend the rod like that or he would brake it when he replied you can't brake a rod like that watch and as he was bending it he snapped the tip on it. 

And one more friend broke my rod in a car door. . . .  . . . . . I think I need new friends

How come friends always break our rods and not their own. 

How’s about a success story...

while fishing a flooded reservoir at the cape, the wind caught my kayak sideways and rolled me over a submerged stump.

a few minutes later while taking inventory, i noticed that besides my anchor being m i a. Three of my Loomis bass rods were somewhere on the bottom.!! My friend and i marked the stump and went to Ocean State Job Lot and bought 2 small garden rakes. 

We went back into the stumps, in 30 mph winds, in our yaks , and pulled up 2 rods on the first 2 tries ! Got the third one back a few tries later.  

Best catches of the day ...lol !

Fluking many years ago I hooked a 7'G-Loomis Crankbait rod with a Penn International 965 on it. Wasn't in there long as nothing was growing on it. Took the reel apart and cleaned and greased it. Used the reel for few years. Still used the the rod all the time.  

Two seasons ago. I had a custom wraped united composits zeuse 276 go over with a penn 975ld. Was seabass fishing on the golf trade. I did not put rod deep enough into rod holder. While going to back of boat to put a keeper in the box over she went. What killes me the most is ponytail mike from grumpys designed that blank, so it was a blacklabel blank exclusive to grumpys b&t. And mike has now been gone 4 years to liver cancer. Hope your resting easy old buddy!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Buck154 said:

Fluking many years ago I hooked a 7'G-Loomis Crankbait rod with a Penn International 965 on it. Wasn't in there long as nothing was growing on it. Took the reel apart and cleaned and greased it. Used the reel for few years. Still used the the rod all the time.  

That’s one of mine ...thanks for finding it !:lookaround:

2 friends and I did an 8 day trip floating all of Wyoming’s best trout streams and camping each night. We threw big streamers until we saw risers or they started sipping hoppers.

We broke 6 orvis rods (thank God for the warranty) and a sage rod. On the last day we needed to fashion half a sage rod to an orvis rod that we called the Sorvis

Epic trip but taxing on the gear

I built my brother a high end custom rod for freshwater fishing a few years back.  We went on a family rafting trip on the Delaware so he brought the rod out for the first time.  Some other family with little kids was rafting in front of us and got their raft stuck sideways on a rock in some pretty fast current.  We were concerned that they were going to get dumped in the river so I paddled over to them and my brother yanked their raft forward to get it off the rock but when he did that our raft bounced and the rod flipped up and right into the river.  I can only hope that someone found that rod and got some use out of it.  The water was not all that deep but impossible to see in that current.

I built another custom fluke rod for a friend and he did not reel up quick enough when my friend who was driving the boat said lines up.  Rod got sucked out of his hands and into the prop at about 200 mph. 

Me and my Buddy got on a head boat years ago. Two guys drunk out of their minds walk on with a cooler full of beers and stand next to us. I knew it was going to be an interesting trip. About a half hour into fishing, one guy gets pissed about something, starts cursing, and throws his rod and reel overboard. Then he sits down and continued to drink beer. Funny stuff. 

Edited by archer36

1st rod I ever lost was a gloomis bucara with shimano 400 Calcutta baitcaster. Both brand new never fished. Went flicking near Verrazano and friend asked if he could try my setup. Sure go ahead I wax using my other setup first. Made a drift had few bites wanted to do drift again. Stopped lines in. “Where’s the rod?” Gone! He left sinker over side and of course it bounced over when we moved. 
2nd rod was st croix with Calcutta 251 flucking near islands by myself. Catching and having fun.  Making small drifts. Spun boat around to stay on a spot and rod went over. Slow motion watched it float out of reach. Went to grab another setup to try and cast few feet away and snag it but buck tail on setup got tangled at tip and by time I got it loose it was gone.

3rd setup was a shimano TLD25 setup while tuna fishing with 2 friends. Both kind of new to offshore trolling. Had my spread out and left this setup in rocket launcher to use maybe later for mahi. Sure enough one rod gets hit on side my friend set out. Outrigger was never locked in and it swung without clip releasing. I grabbed rod to get it to release from clip not knowing  line had grabbed the setup on top launcher. When I released it out of corner of my eye I seen something splash next to boat. “What was that?” No one knew but all seen a splash. Once we got fish in and went to re set we noticed one less Tld 25 setup in top. We now figured out what that splash was.

🤬🤬😡

About 20 years ago a friend of mine built me a fenwick rod for helping him out.  Closed the truck door on the tip of it.  Had to shorten it a couple inches. 

About 10 years ago I had a striper on the line and when I turned around the butt of the rod in my hand caught under the reel of my other rod in the holder and flipped it overboard.  My mitchel 300 I had for over 50 years, since I was 13, went with it.

I'm about due again

Edited by Greybeard