IGNORED

Big Trout!

Nomad

On 4/13/2021 at 12:37 AM, nb6624 said:

Nice fish! Does anyone know how old a fish like that is? 

Three max. Hatchery fish are fed multiple times a day every day to maximize growth. Wild fish take longer to reach the same sizes due to food availability or lack thereof. 

2 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Three max. Hatchery fish are fed multiple times a day every day to maximize growth. Wild fish take longer to reach the same sizes due to food availability or lack thereof. 

At that rate they should double trout stamp to $20.00 and raise some 2 to 3 year old fish, bring on the quality !

15 hours ago, bucky said:

At that rate they should double trout stamp to $20.00 and raise some 2 to 3 year old fish, bring on the quality !

It’s all about the amount of raceways they have. The larger the fish, the fewer per raceway. NJ does release two and three year old fish as broodstock on a regular basis. And less than 10% of the yearling bows most are catching right now will hold over and grow larger by next year. 

14 hours ago, Nomad said:

I just wish they would stock some browns.  I miss those big browns lurking under the blowdowns, holding over and growing big.

Keep writing the Division and let them know. I’m surprised at how little pressure they have received on that topic as the years tick by quickly since furunculosis hit Pequest. 

Just now, Bucksnbows said:

It’s all about the amount of raceways they have. The larger the fish, the fewer per raceway. NJ does release two and three year old fish as broodstock on a regular basis. And less than 10% of the yearling bows most are catching right now will hold over and grow larger by next year. 

I am all for less trout but better quality:up:

2 hours ago, bucky said:

I am all for less trout but better quality:up:

I agree with you. I prefer large wild fish followed by holdover fish with some size to them and then lastly, fresh 11” stockies, in that order. NJ has some decent wild trout, but we will always have to rely on hatchery augmentation due to lack of habitat and large angler populations.