IGNORED

FS: Beavertail Stealth 1200 fishing/duck boat

njhunter24

I have this same boat - it's what I camo painted a couple years ago --- use it for fishing, crabbing, and hunting.

Note: it is officially classified as a canoe (the official paperwork classifies it as "canoe") so by law you don't need to register/number it even if you put on an electric trolling motor (I confirmed this with DMV when I first bought mine and asked about registering it and getting numbered)

Great boat! GLWS

beavertail1200-camo1.thumb.jpg.c30897fed1fe66750aed432021522673.jpg

8 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I have this same boat - it's what I camo painted a couple years ago --- use it for fishing, crabbing, and hunting.

Note: it is officially classified as a canoe (the official paperwork classifies it as "canoe") so by law you don't need to register/number it even if you put on an electric trolling motor (I confirmed this with DMV when I first bought mine and asked about registering it and getting numbered)

Great boat! GLWS

Great job on the paint. And thanks for the clarification on needing to register it for a motor. I just assumed it would need to be lettered to have a motor on it since we are in Soviet NJ 

4 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Great boat! GLWS

That is incorrect , if you put a motor on a kayak or a canoe it has to be registered in NJ

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

24 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

That is incorrect , if you put a motor on a kayak or a canoe it has to be registered in NJ

Not what New Jersey DMV / Title Records Unit told me - I both called and emailed them, and both times I was told the same thing. I even saved the email they sent me so I could prove what they told me. Statute says you don't title/register/number canoes (regardless of it being motorized). Here's the statute 12:7-34.38:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2016/title-12/section-12-7-34.38/

"A vessel shall not be required to be numbered under this act if it is: ... (i) A canoe or kayak..."

DMV wouldn't even register it - I asked.

7 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Not what New Jersey DMV / Title Records Unit told me - I both called and emailed them, and both times I was told the same thing. I even saved the email they sent me so I could prove what they told me. Statute says you don't title/register/number canoes (regardless of it being motorized). Here's the statute 12:7-34.38:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2016/title-12/section-12-7-34.38/

"A vessel shall not be required to be numbered under this act if it is: ... (i) A canoe or kayak..."

DMV wouldn't even register it - I asked.

Right from Njmv site .

‘once motorized they are supposed to be registered 

636CEC32-269B-421B-A8E9-EF8A308AE3F0.jpeg

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

Remember, just like the NJ Hunting Digest "is not the law" - neither are these webpages you point out (boat-ed.com and paddlecamp.com). When I talked to the DMV (I talked directly to the Title Records Unit), I actually did point out these pages to them (the DMV's own website has something similar which is where I think boat-ed.com and paddlecamp.com might have got it from) and I asked them about it. They confirmed that isn't the law.

If you read the actual NJ law (statute 12:7-34.38) - and here's a screenshot below of the actual law on the NJ legislature website - you can clearly see what those webpages like boat-ed.com mistakenly did. They made an error - they conflated paragraph (h) and (i) into one, making it seem like only non-motorized canoes/kayaks are exempted. But that's not true according to the law. Section (i) is completely separate - canoes are exempted and there is no qualification of it having to be non-motorized. And, again, DMV wouldn't register my boat when I asked - they told me no need to because of that statute, paragraph (i).

canoe.jpg.f55682e940ce6e48ac1e46bbaf7f1cc4.jpg

11 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Remember, just like the NJ Hunting Digest "is not the law" - neither are these webpages you point out (boat-ed.com and paddlecamp.com). When I talked to the DMV (I talked directly to the Title Records Unit), I actually did point out these pages to them (the DMV's own website has something similar which is where I think boat-ed.com and paddlecamp.com might have got it from) and I asked them about it. They confirmed that isn't the law.

If you read the actual NJ law (statute 12:7-34.38) - and here's a screenshot below of the actual law on the NJ legislature website - you can clearly see what those webpages like boat-ed.com mistakenly did. They made an error - they conflated paragraph (h) and (i) into one, making it seem like only non-motorized canoes/kayaks are exempted. But that's not true according to the law. Section (i) is completely separate - canoes are exempted and there is no qualification of it having to be non-motorized. And, again, DMV wouldn't register my boat when I asked - they told me no need to because of that statute, paragraph (i).

canoe.jpg.f55682e940ce6e48ac1e46bbaf7f1cc4.jpg

First one I posted is right from the DMV site 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

5 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

First one I posted is right from the DMV site 

I know. And when I talked to the DMV, I asked them about that very same web page because I was confused. They told me, in effect, their website is wrong.

But, again, that website is not the law (just like you can't point to the NJ Hunting Digest to a CO and say, "but look, it is in here!" If there is a typo or a mistake in the Hunting Digest, you are SOL because the Digest isn't the law. It is the same thing here.

Just take a look - I posted the screenshot and link right from the NJ legislature website (which is the law, so it trumps whatever some web administrator wrote on the DMV website). The actual law is clear - and not only that, you can see how the author of the DMV website made the mistake - they combined the law's paragraph (h) and (i) into one, which is wrong. They did not describe the law accurately.

7 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

I know. And when I talked to the DMV, I asked them about that very same web page because I was confused. They told me, in effect, their website is wrong.

But, again, that website is not the law (just like you can't point to the NJ Hunting Digest to a CO and say, "but look, it is in here!" If there is a typo or a mistake in the Hunting Digest, you are SOL because the Digest isn't the law. It is the same thing here.

Just take a look - I posted the screenshot and link right from the NJ legislature website (which is the law, so it trumps whatever some web administrator wrote on the DMV website). The actual law is clear - and not only that, you can see how the author of the DMV website made the mistake - they combined the law's paragraph (h) and (i) into one, which is wrong. They did not describe the law accurately.

There was a change in the law a few years ago . They used to want you to TITLE  canoes and kayaks over 12’ .

‘nobody did it . 
they changed the law to not need to TITLE canoes and kayaks .

‘but they STILL  need to be Registered once you add ANY. Motor .  .

‘we have been stopped in motorized kayaks that were less than 12’ that need neither and we’re still harassed because they were motor driven .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

2 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

‘we have been stopped in motorized kayaks that were less than 12’ that need neither and we’re still harassed because they were motor driven .

That's why I printed out not only that law, but the email the DMV sent me saying I don't need it, and I keep a copy with me on the boat. There's nothing I can do - it's a catch-22. People want to tell me I need numbers, but I can't number it because the DMV won't register it because it is classified as a canoe and by law those aren't registered. *shrug*

Either way, someone buy this boat! It's awesome... with or without a trolling motor! :)