36 minutes ago, Rutting Buck said:

When do you typically start looking for those wild mushrooms?

I'm not a mushroom hunter.But met a kid once, about 5 years ago. This was Berkshire valley wilderness.He'd start out on the westbound side of route 15. All around the swampy area. He drive over to the east side and park on Berkshire valley road where Rockaway River crosses under. To the fire road you can walk all along the river to Long lake blue road. He had a backpack full. 👍

On 4/5/2021 at 4:00 PM, DonW said:

They are popping around here already! My buddy lives about 30 miles North in SE Nebraska found a nice mess over the weekend. I'll be out soon! Good Luck! 

Well, I  guess I should post a retraction! My buddy's full of crap!:cryingcry: I should've known better. Shame on me. I'll post when they really start popping!

• 2 weeks later...

Found just one single black morel this morning in Asbury so it is still on the early side around here.  The black ones are the first ones.

Only trouble is that the weather is about to get hot - time to test the old-timers' theory that 3 >70F days in a row switches the morels off.  If that is true then possibly the morel season will be over before it has a chance to really get started.

1 hour ago, madeinuk said:

Found just one single black morel this morning in Asbury so it is still on the early side around here.  The black ones are the first ones.

Only trouble is that the weather is about to get hot - time to test the old-timers' theory that 3 >70F days in a row switches the morels off.  If that is true then possibly the morel season will be over before it has a chance to really get started.

https://www.morels.com/threads/2021-central-nj-here.1249239/