Real ID required for air travel starting Oct 2021

21 hours ago, smittty said:

So for international travel you need this new ID along with a passport and no drivers license 

No, only for domestic flights. However you can travel domestic with a passport so if you have one there is no need to get the real I’d 

36 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

No, only for domestic flights. However you can travel domestic with a passport so if you have one there is no need to get the real I’d 

I also herd that once implemented a normal drivers lisence won't be sufficient to purchase a fire arm.  Again not sure if true but who knows.

15 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

I also herd that once implemented a normal drivers lisence won't be sufficient to purchase a fire arm.  Again not sure if true but who knows.

B.S.never happening, original dl,fid, on file grandfather clause.

Edited by hunterbob1

This will tell you what you need to be a real I'd in NJ.  In the last step one of the options is a FID.  If it's laminated and the State hasn't changed their rules it can't be used.  I tried to use my did the last time I needed a NJDL and they wouldn't accept a laminated FID.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/realid/selector.html

As far as needing a Real ID for guns the text below is a quote from ATF

Question #1: An unlicensed person wishes to purchase a firearm from a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) in a State that has adopted the REAL ID Act. The unlicensed person presents a DL that is marked across the face of the license in capital letters, “This Driver’s License Is Not Valid for Federal Identification Purposes.” Is such DL an “identification document” that an FFL may utilize for identifying the purchaser in accordance with the Brady Law, 18 U.S.C. 922(t)?

Answer #1: Yes, provided the DL or ID meets the requirements set forth by the Gun Control Act (GCA) and its implementing regulations. If the DL or ID meets the definition of “identification document” as defined in 18 U.S.C. 1028(d) and 27 C.F.R. 478.11, it would be acceptable for purposes of the firearm transfer. 27 CFR 478.11 defines the term identification document as: “A document containing the name, residence address, date of birth, and photograph of the holder and which was made or issued by or under the authority of the United States Government, a State, political subdivision of a State, a foreign government, political subdivision of a foreign government, an international governmental or an international quasi-governmental organization which, when completed with information concerning a particular individual, is of a type intended or commonly accepted for the purpose of identification of individuals.”
Please note that the identification verification requirement to transfer a firearm is not considered an “official
purpose” under the REAL ID Act. The Act defines
“official purpose” as accessing Federal facilities, boarding Federally-regulated commercial aircraft, and entering nuclear power plants.

Edited by nickmarch
38 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Was just saying what I herd at is does say official purpose.  And again who knows what else it will be required for

Incorrect. Crap like that fuels the flames of nonsense when it comes to NJ Firearms Laws. All that does is add confusion and conjecture to those that are trying to stay compliant and lawful.

Edited by Bucndoe
14 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

Incorrect. Crap like that fuels the flames of nonsense when it comes to NJ Firearms Laws. All that does is add confusion and conjecture to those that are trying to stay compliant and lawful.

Notice I said I herd and it may not be true and apparently it is not.  

9 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

I heard the moon is made of cheese. Get what I'm trying to say ?

Correct I also said it may have not been true.  And apparently where I herd it was an article quoting the California Governor saying it would be mandated not only in California but eventually the  the nation .  What I did not see or hear was that he was overturned and that it was not true..  so my mistake

Edited by vdep217
1 hour ago, vdep217 said:

Correct I also said it may have not been true.  And apparently where I herd it was an article quoting the California Governor saying it would be mandated not only in California but eventually the  the nation .  What I did not see or hear was that he was overturned and that it was not true..  so my mistake

To say it will never happen is just naive in the world we live in. Right is wrong, wrong is reworded and common sense is gone. 
I dont see anything good coming from it. It is in place to correct one wrong and it will be used in the future to create another 

Edited by Lunatic
4 hours ago, nickmarch said:

This will tell you what you need to be a real I'd in NJ.  In the last

eponeoftheoptions is a FID.  If it's laminated and the State hasn't changed their rules it can't be used.  I tried to use my did the last time I needed a NJDL and they wouldn't accept a laminated FID.

Bought a mini laminator at a yard sale. I thought that was cool, laminated my social security card, hooker to DMV when I had to get a new license for that 6 point system. Sorry sir we can't accept this NJ🖕

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, njdoxie said:

Just FYI - The dead line for having a Real ID for air travel has been pushed back to May 2023

https://www.nj.com/news/2021/04/deadline-for-air-travelers-to-get-real-id-drivers-licenses-is-extended-again.html

That’s so your DL. Can be used for the midterm elections .

and all undocumented aliens are eligible to get licenses starting this week.