Real ID required for air travel starting Oct 2021

You can use a passport in place of it, so I just had my passport renewed, but I don't trust the state of NJ to come thru on this, but I would still like to get a Real ID, but there are no appts being offered, zilch.

Anyone work for the DMV or have DMV contacts that could provide info on when Real ID appts will start back up?  I can find nothing online.

Thanks

24 minutes ago, njdoxie said:

You can use a passport in place of it, so I just had my passport renewed, but I don't trust the state of NJ to come thru on this, but I would still like to get a Real ID, but there are no appts being offered, zilch.

Anyone work for the DMV or have DMV contacts that could provide info on when Real ID appts will start back up?  I can find nothing online.

Thanks

Don’t understand what you mean by real ID as far as I know a drivers license is a real. ID

2 minutes ago, smittty said:

Don’t understand what you mean by real ID as far as I know a drivers license is a real. ID

Real ID is a certain standard of license issuance that has certain standards. Currently Real ID is a limited base issuance to NJ drivers and a majority of licenses are not Real ID and unable to be used for flight travel come 10/21. 

Edited by Jcol6268
54 minutes ago, njdoxie said:

Thanks

I got mine last year, no problems.  I simply waited until the last day of my then current driver license, brought in my points to prove who I am, and left with a new secure ID card/license.

28 minutes ago, smittty said:

No, it is not researched like a passport enough to be the same as a passport.  The new IDs are.  By researched, I mean they confirm through enough sources that you are who you say you are. 

Edited by Bucksnbows
25 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

I got mine last year, no problems.  I simply waited until the last day of my then current driver license, brought in my points to prove who I am, and left with a new secure ID card/license.

No, it is not researched like a passport enough to be the same as a passport.  The new IDs are.  

Yea ok never heard of such a thing

Just now, smittty said:

Yea ok never heard of such a thing

I fly for work at times and they are making it mandatory. NJ was one of the last states to comply and they were late to the table. But Covid moved it all back a year. Come October, if you fly and don’t have one, only a valid Passport will allow you to get on that plane. Domestic or foreign travel. 

7 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

I fly for work at times and they are making it mandatory. NJ was one of the last states to comply and they were late to the table. But Covid moved it all back a year. Come October, if you fly and don’t have one, only a valid Passport will allow you to get on that plane. Domestic or foreign travel. 

I have a Trusted Traveler Global ID card.  I'm good.

15 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

What if you have TWIC card I wonder....

4 minutes ago, njdoxie said:

Well when in the hell is the DMV going to start offering appts again, or do I just walk in with the required documentation and get it?

can you just walk into a mvc? is everything by appointment now?