Musconetcong River help

Tired of trout fishing down here in lakes and ponds. Want to take a trip up and fish a different area but am clueless. I will be using spinning gear with plugs and spinners. Can someone pm an address for a parking area? Directions are kinda vague online. 

Edited by Bucksnbows

It’s a long river with multiple spots to park and fish. I always go on google earth and find the river i want to fish and then follow it along checking roads that run beside it or crossing it. Lots of little one car parking spots by small bridges because most bridges aren’t close to houses. 

Found many good spots on a lot of streams this way. You can even drop a waypoint at the spot and then plug that into your gps.

• Bucksnbows changed the title to Musconetcong River help

The Musky is 42 miles long and at least half that is open to the public either on public lands or private lands that allow angling. Stephens State Park up north is a popular spot. Further down is the access just as you get on 57 South with one of the many Division fishing accesses. Point Mountain is a Trout Conservation Area with special regs like no bait and only one fish over 15” may be kept.  Most of the bridges over the river are stocking points although not all. The middle and lower rivers all have plenty of access and it is the river that sees the most stocked trout because of all the access. 

7 hours ago, Kype said:

if you ever want to drive up to bloomsbury, i can show you around. the musky flows through my backyard. i cant imagine only ever fishing lakes and ponds for trout. that would bore the hell out of me. 

I will def let you know if I make it up there.  Thank you! 

@Bucksnbows will give you the intel on this river.  I kayak it all the time, and there are plenty of places to park along the river that aren't too far from some decent fishing.

Any smallmouth off the kayak in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
43 minutes ago, Timo said:

Any smallmouth off the kayak in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't fish from the kayak, I ride the river.  There are some good flurries of small rapids on the river, and then some long slow stretches.  Great river to kayak.  You want to do it when the river is registering over 450 cps.  I prefer 600 cfs.

On 4/3/2021 at 4:05 PM, Bucksnbows said:

The Musky is 42 miles long and at least half that is open to the public either on public lands or private lands that allow angling. Stephens State Park up north is a popular spot. Further down is the access just as you get on 57 South with one of the many Division fishing accesses. Point Mountain is a Trout Conservation Area with special regs like no bait and only one fish over 15” may be kept.  Most of the bridges over the river are stocking points although not all. The middle and lower rivers all have plenty of access and it is the river that sees the most stocked trout because of all the access. 

Twitter I'd beat the rush going into Stevens State Park and opening day  like 4:00 a.m. in the morning cross over a little bridge it's  trout unlimited guys standing in a 10 foot circle.lol.. my fish, no my fish I caught him first. Hell with that, I drove downstream of course 246 parked in an old motel what's the old sport shop in the diner I'd fish that all by myself, Riverdale and come out with a ton of golf balls in  behind the golf course.

25 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

Twitter I'd beat the rush going into Stevens State Park and opening day  like 4:00 a.m. in the morning cross over a little bridge it's  trout unlimited guys standing in a 10 foot circle.lol.. my fish, no my fish I caught him first. Hell with that, I drove downstream of course 246 parked in an old motel what's the old sport shop in the diner I'd fish that all by myself, Riverdale and come out with a ton of golf balls in  behind the golf course.

Oh, I know the golf course.  If you are kayaking down the river you have to do a portage right at the golf course.  So here I am, some fat guy in a wet suit dragging a kayak out of the woods along the edge of the course next to some nicely-dressed golfers.  What a sight to see.  I think they lost all hope in humanity after seeing me that day.  I, of course, had a great day on the river.