IGNORED

Full Size Truck Decisions

MikeStaten

Thanks for the replies to my Tundra post.  

Figured I’d start a new one as I’m undecided on brand at this point.  To be honest I don’t really care what brand I get.   I also don’t need all the latest tech.  Basically what I want is something that is reliable and under $50k.  Towing won’t be an issue as the most I’ll be towing is a 16’ boat or a camping trailer that at most will weigh 6000 pounds.  

The internet review sites are all over the place.   Take a look at consumer report GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado reviews versus everyone else’s.    Consumer reports says they are terrible and everyone else gives them good reliability ratings.  

The Tundra seems to have everything I need but the gas mileage sucks and they are a little pricy when you compare features to other brands which offer more features.

The Ram looks great but you need to step up to the higher level trims to get all the safety features (automatic breaking, blind spot etc..). higher trims are amazing inside but pricy and stuff I really don’t need.  They really do have a nice ride too   

No real dings on the F150, except some concerns on the reliability and expense to fix the EcoBoost engines. Also, dealerships seem reluctant to give me an out the door price.  One asked me if I wanted to order one without knowing the price yet..?!?  Appears it will do everything I want in the XLT trim.  Still deciding which engine to get if I go that way.  2.7 or 3.5 EcoBoost or 5.0 8 cyl.

GMC/Chevy    I like the looks the best and the pricing isn’t too bad but the recent reliability reviews have me reluctant to consider them, especially the 8 speed transmission    

Nissan Titan    I actually like this one a lot except for the ride is a little harsh compared to any of the others i test drove. I don’t need the smoothest riding truck but this one was noticeably harsher on bumps.  5 yr / 100k bumper to bumper warranty is best out there.   Price also isn’t bad.      

Anyway, just thought I’d ask for input.    Posts like “x brand is awesome and everything else sucks”, “real men drive ABC brand” etc.. are not needed.   More interested in specific pros and cons and if anyone has purchased recently, I’d be interested in deals you got.

thanks

I just bought a 2021 tundra love everything about it so far but it’s still a baby so have no input on it, everyone i Know who has owned tundras or Tacoma’s have nothing but good things to say. Yeah it’s behind in tech and I get average 16mpg but It wasn’t too expensive and the engine, transmission are made in USA and it was assembled in Texas if that matters to you 

1 minute ago, james7 said:

I just bought a 2021 tundra love everything about it so far but it’s still a baby so have no input on it, everyone i Know who has owned tundras or Tacoma’s have nothing but good things to say. Yeah it’s behind in tech and I get average 16mpg but It wasn’t too expensive and the engine, transmission are made in USA and it was assembled in Texas if that matters to you 

Can you Post or PM me with details on model and price you paid?   Thanks!

I've been a GM guy all my life, all my trucks have gone over 250,000 some into the 300,000's . We still have one of the first trucks, a 71 Chevy 4X4 Shortbed. The current LT motors are brilliant, fantastic power and great fuel milage .You can lay down two strips of rubber if that's your thing and still get mileage into the 20's !Not only are they great looking trucks but they are part of Americana , just listen to how many country songs mention them.

000_0004.JPG

Edited by FLDBRED-BDC

Pennsylvania Upland Hunting

If you are going to get a full size truck and thinking about an F150, dont get an Ecoboost engine if you are going to do any serious towing

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Two friends and myself had multiple F-150’s, 3 of which didn’t last past 80,000mi before engines crapped out. Mine the whole left bank of cylinders crapped the bed. I had it in to ford 3 times, always the same...we cant find any problems. Finally when it died on the road they said the reason the never found the issue was that the sensors were bad as well. The only good truck ford ever made was the full size bronco.

currently have a 2020 GMC Sierra.    Not impressed. It has all the bells and whistles but the 4wd sucks. Turning radius when engaged is horrible ! 

Had a ram 1500 up until last year. BEST full size truck i have ever owned. Never had a problem, always a beast in snow and mud, very nicely equipped. Had the most testicular fortitude out of the bunch.

overall the best truck i have owned out of them all, was a  95 Tacoma. Little 4wd, 4cylinder that pulled my bass boat, 4 wheeled through anything-even salt water and sand! The only thing that ever went wrong with it was user error, i filled the bed with firewood a bit too high and busted the leaf springs on a bumpy dirt road. I bet its still running today in some third world country.

1 hour ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

What are you going to use it for?

I skipped over the 150/1500 series and went into the 2500 series because they are better built vehicles.  You can get nearly the same trim but a better truck.

Daily driver, trailering 16’ Jon boat, trailering camper trailer (under 6k lbs.).  

35 minutes ago, MikeStaten said:

Daily driver, trailering 16’ Jon boat, trailering camper trailer (under 6k lbs.).  

If you're mainly staying on asphalt you can get away with a 1500 series truck.  You get better MPG and decent hauling.  RAM just won a bunch of awards in 2020 and I think they are also highly rated in 2021.  I have a 2018 2500 in the Bighorn package that I paid just under $50K for.  I also added things beyond the Bighorn package, so you have room to add additional safety features.  I've had my 2500 just over three years with 52K on it with zero problems.  Other than oil and tires, I've had some body work done because people think they can road rage me and end up hitting me and regretting it.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

I’ve had fords and chevys 

fords are great. Gas mileage sucked 

chevys gas mileage is great, engine so far great. 
the frame and body is rusting out I only got 76000 miles on her. Power window doesn’t always work and the heater fan sometimes doesn’t blow hard.

I think my next one will be a Ford and I’ll drive slower 

Mike.. 

I will tell you this.. I’ve have had a 2 Dodges, 5 Toyota’s including a Tundra which I loved, and now on my 3rd Sierra Denali.. Never an issue with any off them and my 2021 Sierra with the 10 speed is flawless.. Mine is a special model, however never a single problem with any! The 8 speed GM has had problems, and fixed it quickly with the new 10 speed.. You can even feel it shift.. Drive them all, save the Sierra for last.. You’ll find your answer..