My poor long suffering wife!

17 hours ago, Nomad said:

If you have been bitten go get antibiotics right away.

I just took the doxycycline that the doctor called in for me - thanks for mentioning the antibiotics, I made sure  to contact my doctor first thing this morning Nomad!

3 hours ago, madeinuk said:

I just took the doxycycline that the doctor called in for me - thanks for mentioning the antibiotics, I made sure  to contact my doctor first thing this morning Nomad!

So everytime you get bitten by a tick you are supposed to go for antibiotics ?  seems extreme to me..

24 minutes ago, jumpthestring said:

So everytime you get bitten by a tick you are supposed to go for antibiotics ?  seems extreme to me..

The rule of thumb is yes if more than 48 hours.  The trouble is, few folks know when they were bit.  So a prophylactic 9 day round of doxycycline is typically prescribed which ensures no Lyme's disease.  Big old horse pills.  It takes a tick between 48 and 72 hours to transfer the spirochete into your bloodstream.  Sooner than that, it's just a tick bite likely without disease.  But many ticks also carry other diseases besides Lyme's, so do yourself a favor if bitten deeply and call you doc and ask him/her for doxy.    

6 minutes ago, Mink said:

When we were kids we were in the woods all day all year long, I don't remember getting loads of ticks !

I don't ever remember dealing with ticks as a kid either. And never had to deal with chiggers back then either. 

Ive got the deer fence up and hopefully they wont get in and be bringin the ticks.....my daughter did catch them last saturday examining the new fence  but they didnt try to jump it.......