IGNORED

Share your best whitetail pic/story

OhioWRO

I see your operation is in Trumbull Country on the PA border up near Lake Erie.   This site is very OHIO-friendly and always of interest.  I have some great Ohio hunting memories in Tuscawaras country as well as many in NJ but these folks here are bored of hearing them. 

Please feel free to lure some of these great Jersey hunters out to your place...   We love Ohio because it's "driveable" and a "one buck state" (opposite of 6-buck state of NJ)

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 minute ago, JHbowhunter said:

I see your operation is in Trumbull Country on the PA border up near Lake Erie.   This site is very OHIO-friendly and always of interest.  I have some great Ohio hunting memories in Tuscawaras country as well as many in NJ but these folks here are bored of hearing them. 

Please feel free to lure some of these great Jersey hunters out to your place...   We love Ohio because it's "driveable" and a "one buck state" (opposite of 6-buck state of NJ)

Maybe a NJWW guided hunt in the making?

1 minute ago, JHbowhunter said:

offerering a NJWW Moderator a free hunt would be GREAT for business!  lol

After seeing you digging arrows out of trees , and hearing Nj22 found more arrows of yours after you left , he may choose a different mod lol

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Hunting near Round Mountain in Hunterdon county during the fall of 2008, I was finding very large scrapes along with deep rubs on trees from 8 to 10 inches in diameter. Not just scratches in the bark but deep, shredding gouges that could only be made by a large set of antlers. I hunted a few different properties in the area. I was finding sign of this buck on all of them but through October, November and into December I never caught sight of him.

At the same time, about a mile away, a friend of mine was hunting a pair of large 6 point bucks. He had them traveling together on trail cam and in the late fall he was able to arrow the smaller buck. Now during shotgun and muzzleloader he had his sights set for the larger of the pair. Being a taxidermist, he was able to set his own hours and was out hunting for the large 6 pointer nearly every day.

2009 buck 7.jpg

In mid December I found a rub line on the edge of a five acre grass field. The field edge was comprised of a wind break of pines. About twelve or so of the pines were rubbed pretty good. Some of them even larger than I had seen before.  At the midpoint of the wind break, about 25 yards into the field, stood a lone cedar tree. The cedar was probably about 30 feet tall and perfect cover to set up a ladder stand in. I was able to force the stand up into the branches than climb up and cut my way in towards the trunk until the stand was resting against the trunk. At that point I was able to strap the stand secure, did some more trimming and had a nice little nest to spend all my free time in for the next couple of weeks.

2009 buck 9.jpg

I had a week of vacation left and decided to burn it on a last ditch effort to kill this buck rather than float it into the next year. I hunted every day, pretty much all day from December 21st to December 29th, with the exception of Christmas Day. On two of the days the wind was wrong and I hunted a different property but other then that I was in my "nest". Amazingly, nearly every deer that walked into that field passed right between that cedar and the tree line. Over the course of the week I had dozens and dozens of deer walk past me at under 25 yards. One afternoon a small 6 point basket racked buck came walking down the tree line from the north. As he was passing by the pine tree directly in front of me, he kind of sidled up to the tree and started rubbing the OUTSIDE of his antlers on it. This tree was about 12 inches in diameter and the bucks spread was only about 6 or 8 inches. He really went at it and bark was flying off the tree as he got out his aggression. Doubt started creeping into my mind as I put together large rubs, soft wood and small bucks!

Monday, December 29th was my last consecutive day off. I had to be back in the shop on Tuesday and I was closing at 1:00 Pm on New Years eve but this felt like my last shot. Just at dusk, on the field edge directly behind me, through the cedar branches I saw a few does enter the field. I scanned the field edge in front of me and then back to the does. Only instead of a few does there was a large buck! A very large buck, easily twice the size of the now small seeming, fawn like does in front of him. For the first time in more than a week in that cedar stand, I grabbed for my bow. Time slowed down but oncoming darkness accelerated it's pace. I was watching the group of deer fade from view even as they painfully slowly made their way closer to my perch. As they passed by me I could barely make out the outlines of their bodies but could clearly hear the hoof steps in the frozen grass. I waited another 20 minutes or so for the area to clear out before I exited my stand and made my way home.

I hunted the afternoon and evening on New Years eve but other than a few does I didn't see anything of note. That night I ceremoniously burned my tag.

2009 buck 10.jpg

Edited by Woodsman416