IGNORED

Carp fishing?

smungung

7 minutes ago, bucky said:

I always leave the bail open and place a small  stone on the line or loosen the drag all the way up :up:

Holy moly  thought I was the only one who did that. Small stone or little twig. If you can find a small sapling with a y to rest your rod and works great, April May can have windy days lake River I cast out take the slack out, keep your ride as close to the water as possible on the stick, I couldn't always rely and find his stick so I made my own hangers at a heavy duty clothes hangers that I carried in my backpack. My rigs were egg sinkers on the main line, small barrel swivels, 3 ft of segar fluorocarbon leader,egg sinker size was dependent on  the body of water I was fishing. I kept an assortment of sizes on me. My go to Hook for carp was #4,10/12 for trout.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

56 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

Holy moly  thought I was the only one who did that. Small stone or little twig. If you can find a small sapling with a y to rest your rod and works great, April May can have windy days lake River I cast out take the slack out, keep your ride as close to the water as possible on the stick, I couldn't always rely and find his stick so I made my own hangers at a heavy duty clothes hangers that I carried in my backpack. My rigs were egg sinkers on the main line, small barrel swivels, 3 ft of segar fluorocarbon leader,egg sinker size was dependent on  the body of water I was fishing. I kept an assortment of sizes on me. My go to Hook for carp was #4,10/12 for trout.

Use this same concept as you and bucky in NY on the reservoirs after ice out. The other is an empty soda or beer can toss a few pepples in it wrap line around the stick you place in the can and when can goes over the bail is open so trout can run feeling no resistence

these are my go to flies for carp. notice how all the hooks are facing up. thats important and will get much more hook ups with how carp feed. i make sure to cast far enough upstream so my flies are already on the bottom by the time it gets to the carp. its tricky. 

KIMG1946.thumb.JPG.4d97509ef5de802cf6951f09566b16da.JPG

9 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

Yes it is calm enough!. It's tidal water so you just got to play the tide right. High tide can bring debris from the riverbanks but no big deal. Hasn't stopped these people.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/belleville/belleville-crew-team-still-going-strong-at-70

You’ve  bow fished this spot before? I’m worried I’ll get some weird looks if I do.

Smungung

17 hours ago, Recurve hntr said:

When I was a kid I would walk to clementon lake right next to clementon amusement park. There was an old man around 75 or 80 fishing for carp. He would use a heavy rod with heavy line. He made a corn meal dough mixed with mulberries. God he would catch monster carp out of that lake.  I was probably around 12 yrs old. He told me what to do to catch one. I had a small zebco push button rod and reel.  The one thing he told me not to do was put my rod down unattended. He told me the carp would pull it in real quick. Put it down for like one minute . Well let’s just say I never saw that rod again. Lesson learned!

I learned to fish, and love to fish, on my zebco push button black and white

42 minutes ago, smungung said:

You’ve  bow fished this spot before? I’m worried I’ll get some weird looks if I do.

Yes I have bow this spot for years many hours. But that was many years ago,only bad looks I got from the other guy hey you shot my they can look all they want all you need is your fishing license.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

29 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

Yes I have bow this spot for years many hours. But that was many years ago,only bad looks I got from the other guy hey you shot my they can look all they want all you need is your fishing license.

Thanks for that info. What did you do with the fish after you shot them? I would eat them since I hate wasting animals, BUT since were talking about the Passaic I’ll pass on that lol.

Smungung

3 minutes ago, smungung said:

Thanks for that info. What did you do with the fish after you shot them? I would eat them since I hate wasting animals, BUT since were talking about the Passaic I’ll pass on that lol.

Cats and garden fertilizer.

I used to fish a couple of dams on the main stem of  the Raritan River, the carp would swim upstream to spawn and would congregate in the dams , some years it was lights out fishing using my noodle rod. I also caught plenty of big trout while carp fishing that were stocked way upstream that would swim down and hold in the oxygen rich water but both dams are gone now:cryingcry: So if there are any dams up your way give them a try using canned corn or make some cornmeal, note when your done making cornmeal make a one inch ball and make sure it bounces or it will not stay on the hook when you cast  :up: Carp fishing is a lot of fun so if anybody needs recipe for cornmeal I will happily post it up

Edited by bucky

45 minutes ago, bucky said:

I used to fish a couple of dams on the main stem of  the Raritan River, the carp would swim upstream to spawn and would congregate in the dams , some years it was lights out fishing using my noodle rod. I also caught plenty of big trout while carp fishing that were stocked way upstream that would swim down and hold in the oxygen rich water but both dams are gone now:cryingcry: So if there are any dams up your way give them a try using canned corn or make some cornmeal, note when your done making cornmeal make a one inch ball and make sure it bounces or it will not stay on the hook when you cast  :up: Carp fishing is a lot of fun so if anybody needs recipe for cornmeal I will happily post it up

Get a good rain in April/May and they gather at the dams trying to get up stream. Oakford lake in New Egypt they would  look like salmon try to jump up the falls.

13 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

Agreed, it's considered fishing, so wherever you can fish you can shoot carp. I had park rangers stop me while bowfishing but they couldn't come up with any good reason to stop me so I went on my way:up:

On 3/26/2021 at 11:18 PM, hunterbob1 said:

I grew up fishing the Passaic River. We used to line up on 21 bow fishing during the spawn that's early May, can't catch em on the rod and reel. Post spawn hell yeah. Can't park there anymore in 21 long long time ago they put signs up. I'm going to burn the spot but it don't matter you'll probably be the only one there. Public parking boat launch/parking route 7 Belleville Pike route 21 and Park avenue in Nutley. Quarter mile walk up route 21 North, there's a tributary that runs underneath the highway, big mulberry tree there have to hit it on the high tide.

Bob I grew up Bowfishing the Rt 21 above the falls. Many days spend at the whales mouth. As for the Mulberry spot I know that one also. Small world ! 

1 hour ago, OMC said:

Bob I grew up Bowfishing the Rt 21 above the falls. Many days spend at the whales mouth. As for the Mulberry spot I know that one also. Small world ! 

Yep small world indeed. Them were the good old days lined up in the shoulder on 21 at the bridge with our handheld spotlights hooked up to our batteries of our truck.lol. it was our warm up tune em up dialing in practice grounds before going for a torpedoes in the Delaware and the Hudson.

IMG_20210328_162037225.jpg

IMG_20210328_161945309.jpg