my best carp months are april and may. i bring a noodle rod and an 8 weight fly rod. man they are fun to catch. only fish i ever had into my backing. one of my favorite fish to target. its a win win all around, you have to be stealthy, make good casts, then get rewarded with a great fighting fish. 

11 hours ago, Kype said:

my best carp months are april and may. i bring a noodle rod and an 8 weight fly rod. man they are fun to catch. only fish i ever had into my backing. one of my favorite fish to target. its a win win all around, you have to be stealthy, make good casts, then get rewarded with a great fighting fish. 

At my parents cottage we used to catch em as kids on an eagle cow noodle rod with light weight line.  Used to ball up a piece of bread and put it on the hook.  It was lots of fun!  They were stocked by the lake association to cleanup some algae but they just made a bigger mess so whenever we caught them we were supposed to kill them as per the rules.  Once I caught a few though I couldn’t it was just to fun!

15 hours ago, SPEARFISH said:

My favorite time is when the mulberries are dropping

You know any places with mulberry trees over hanging water? My local stretch of River only has mulberries more “inland”

37 minutes ago, smungung said:

You know any places with mulberry trees over hanging water? My local stretch of River only has mulberries more “inland”

I grew up fishing the Passaic River. We used to line up on 21 bow fishing during the spawn that's early May, can't catch em on the rod and reel. Post spawn hell yeah. Can't park there anymore in 21 long long time ago they put signs up. I'm going to burn the spot but it don't matter you'll probably be the only one there. Public parking boat launch/parking route 7 Belleville Pike route 21 and Park avenue in Nutley. Quarter mile walk up route 21 North, there's a tributary that runs underneath the highway, big mulberry tree there have to hit it on the high tide.

Edited by hunterbob1

When I was a kid I would walk to clementon lake right next to clementon amusement park. There was an old man around 75 or 80 fishing for carp. He would use a heavy rod with heavy line. He made a corn meal dough mixed with mulberries. God he would catch monster carp out of that lake.  I was probably around 12 yrs old. He told me what to do to catch one. I had a small zebco push button rod and reel.  The one thing he told me not to do was put my rod down unattended. He told me the carp would pull it in real quick. Put it down for like one minute . Well let’s just say I never saw that rod again. Lesson learned!

2 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

I grew up fishing the Passaic River. We used to line up on 21 bow fishing during the spawn that's early May, can't catch em on the rod and reel. Post spawn hell yeah. Can't park there anymore in 21 long long time ago they put signs up. I'm going to burn the spot but it don't matter you'll probably be the only one there. Public parking boat launch/parking route 7 Belleville Pike route 21 and Park avenue in Nutley. Quarter mile walk up route 21 North, there's a tributary that runs underneath the highway, big mulberry tree there have to hit it on the high tide.

Sounds awesome I’ve never been there before but I’ll check it out, do you think that stretch of River is calm enough for something like a canoe or kayak? 

6 hours ago, smungung said:

Sounds awesome I’ve never been there before but I’ll check it out, do you think that stretch of River is calm enough for something like a canoe or kayak? 

Yes it is calm enough!. It's tidal water so you just got to play the tide right. High tide can bring debris from the riverbanks but no big deal. Hasn't stopped these people.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/belleville/belleville-crew-team-still-going-strong-at-70

8 hours ago, Recurve hntr said:

When I was a kid I would walk to clementon lake right next to clementon amusement park. There was an old man around 75 or 80 fishing for carp. He would use a heavy rod with heavy line. He made a corn meal dough mixed with mulberries. God he would catch monster carp out of that lake.  I was probably around 12 yrs old. He told me what to do to catch one. I had a small zebco push button rod and reel.  The one thing he told me not to do was put my rod down unattended. He told me the carp would pull it in real quick. Put it down for like one minute . Well let’s just say I never saw that rod again. Lesson learned!

I always leave the bail open and place a small  stone on the line or loosen the drag all the way up :up:

Edited by bucky