Got Covid-19 Vaccine Shot today.

4 hours ago, OldMenRule said:

I have yet to come across a person happy with their back surgery. I think the failure rate for major back surgery is in the 60% range or higher. By contrast cervical surgery is in the 90% success rate. I'm sorry for your pain. As to the vaccine, it is a personal choice which should be based on YOUR unique situation. I had Covid last year at this time. Back then it was thought to be more of a death sentence then today. Having worked closely with Covid patients and having seen the viruses  effects I was scared shitless which for me is rare given I usually walk around in my own world. 

I've been vaccinated and I'm happy with my choice. Mild reaction ( some chills ) and that was it. I've had similar reactions to the flu and shingles vaccine. The major problem with the vaccine ( and virus) is distrust in the system. Americas political system is broken beyond repair and with it goes the trust of the populace. Again as I've mentioned I spend a great deal of my day working with Covid patients and several of my co-workers have had Covid a second time,  Some worse then the first time.  

If your isolated from the virus and from those who might be exposed you might entertain skipping the vaccine. Your weight appears to be your main issue but losing weight when your in pain is not as simple as some like to believe. Speak with your physician, balance your needs and go from their. 

Again I'm truly sorry for your pain. I've had a bad back since my early 20's. I had to give up hockey, running and a few other things I enjoyed. Plain sucks. 

Good luck, God bless. 

I agree and appreciate everything you said. I use to run a lot and it was easy to maintain my weight. I’ve been trying my best to stay active. My wife is retired law enforcement and she is a fireball of energy. I’m lucky to have her because she motivates me to get moving.  I hope I didn’t give people the wrong idea. I am not against the vaccine. I’m personally just afraid of it for myself. 

7 hours ago, Ms Grit said:

I’ve been directly exposed 3 times, once helping take care of my dad before he passed away, and I did not get sick. I was recently tested for the antibodies, which I do not have. My dr said I must have a good immune system. I’m good with that for me. We all must make whatever decision we believe is best for ourselves.

Yes! This is entirely possible. I few years back I recall reading an article about a gay man who had encounters with several HIV infected partners and he never contracted the virus. Scientist were about to begin a study as to why he did not get HIV. So yes, there are people who will not get Covid-19.

12 minutes ago, trapoholic said:

Yes! This is entirely possible. I few years back I recall reading an article about a gay man who had encounters with several HIV infected partners and he never contracted the virus. Scientist were about to begin a study as to why he did not get HIV. So yes, there are people who will not get Covid-19.

When I was in hi school did a project about it.  Google HIV IMMUNITY.  It's somthing like 20 percent of Europeans are immune.  It said it was because of being direct descendants of people who were infected with the bubonic plague.  I know a bit off topic

20 hours ago, trapoholic said:

Got my first vaccine today at Holy Name in Teaneck. I felt like a dog waiting in line at the municipal parking lot for its rabies shots! Go back in three weeks. Can't wait. LOL

At this point if you're wanting and waiting for a "vaccine" I truly do THANK YOU.

What ever takes the pressure off MY FAMILY I am in favor of

Japan doesn't care if you are Vaccinated or not. You won't be able to go to the Summer Olympics there.

2021 Summer Olympics: Foreign visitors will not be permitted at Tokyo Games, which will go ahead as scheduled - CBSSports.com

I was talking to a friend in Brazil last night and he reported that three of our now 50-something, no underlying condition, friends from the street I used to live on died of COVID last week. Everyone I'm speaking to is talking about people dropping like flies and a lot of those telling me this are former supporters of their Pres. Bolsonaro, who touted Chloro and denied the danger of COVID across 2020.

The Brazilian variant seems incredibly deadly, at least at the moment. It's pushed Peru into a full-on 3rd wave with incredibly high death rates. I see no figures from Brazil or Peru on mortality rates, but the hospitals are choked and ambulances are parked in their driveways, waiting for a bed to open up.

Last week the Brazilian variant was identified in Brooklyn.  I respect people's right to decide. But when you decide, you should realize that a more dangerous variant is on the horizon and my information does NOT come from Dr. Fauci. Also, it'd be good to realize that the effectiveness of vaccines comes in great part not on an individual basis, but on vaccinating large percentages of the population so the disease finds no or fewer hosts and no longer circulates freely. People who celebrate "herd immunity" might carry their insights into vaccination too and understand that your individual choice doesn't impact you and your family alone

22 minutes ago, JFC1 said:

I was talking to a friend in Brazil last night and he reported that three of our now 50-something, no underlying condition, friends from the street I used to live on died of COVID last week. Everyone I'm speaking to is talking about people dropping like flies and a lot of those telling me this are former supporters of their Pres. Bolsonaro, who touted Chloro and denied the danger of COVID across 2020.

The Brazilian variant seems incredibly deadly, at least at the moment. It's pushed Peru into a full-on 3rd wave with incredibly high death rates. I see no figures from Brazil or Peru on mortality rates, but the hospitals are choked and ambulances are parked in their driveways, waiting for a bed to open up.

Last week the Brazilian variant was identified in Brooklyn.  I respect people's right to decide. But when you decide, you should realize that a more dangerous variant is on the horizon and my information does NOT come from Dr. Fauci. Also, it'd be good to realize that the effectiveness of vaccines comes in great part not on an individual basis, but on vaccinating large percentages of the population so the disease finds no or fewer hosts and no longer circulates freely. People who celebrate "herd immunity" might carry their insights into vaccination too and understand that your individual choice doesn't impact you and your family alone

The longer it takes to vaccinate a majority of people, the more Variants will grow. 

22 minutes ago, JFC1 said:

The problem is the vaccine is not eliminating the host as a traditional vaccine does.  It lessons the effects being vaccinated against covid you can still get carry and spread

Just now, vdep217 said:

The problem is the vaccine is not eliminating the host as a traditional vaccine does.  It lessons the effects being vaccinated against covid you can still get carry and spread

Yeah, that's a troubling issue. It does seem that you can transmit the disease after you get the jab.  Beyond being worried by that, it makes me think of two things:

1) by avoiding full-blow COVID it does reduce the intensities of viral loads and the risks and breadth of transmission, even though it doesn't end the possibility of transmission

2) that would suggest that Fauci was correct to wear his mask(s) even after vaccination and Rand Paul was mistaken in his diatribe, right? Or am I missing something else? 

2 minutes ago, JFC1 said:

Yeah, that's a troubling issue. It does seem that you can transmit the disease after you get the jab.  Beyond being worried by that, it makes me think of two things:

1) by avoiding full-blow COVID it does reduce the intensities of viral loads and the risks and breadth of transmission, even though it doesn't end the possibility of transmission

2) that would suggest that Fauci was correct to wear his mask(s) even after vaccination and Rand Paul was mistaken in his diatribe, right? Or am I missing something else? 

Lessening symptoms does not mean it's not full blown covid or lesson the viral load it simply means your body is more suited to fight it.  As for masks there's experts on both sides for and against but not arguing the mask issue

5 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Lessening symptoms does not mean it's not full blown covid or lesson the viral load it simply means your body is more suited to fight it.  As for masks there's experts on both sides for and against but not arguing the mask issue

lessening viral load means you shed less to those around you.  Not sneezing and coughing expels less viral matter into the bus or classroom, right? And if your body is more suited to fight the virus,that means that it'll probably go away faster so you'd have a shorter time period in which to pass it on?

Sure, no need to argue masks, but what I'm taking from what you're saying is that there's a good argument for mask use after the jab if COVID itself doesnt go away entirely (full blown suggest to me the symptoms and hucking gobs all over the bus)

I think we're on the same general page. But your comments shed new light on other comments here and elsewhere I've seen recently. Thanks

8 minutes ago, JFC1 said:

lessening viral load means you shed less to those around you.  Not sneezing and coughing expels less viral matter into the bus or classroom, right? And if your body is more suited to fight the virus,that means that it'll probably go away faster so you'd have a shorter time period in which to pass it on?

Sure, no need to argue masks, but what I'm taking from what you're saying is that there's a good argument for mask use after the jab if COVID itself doesnt go away entirely (full blown suggest to me the symptoms and hucking gobs all over the bus)

I think we're on the same general page. But your comments shed new light on other comments here and elsewhere I've seen recently. Thanks

With mask wearing I believe we are going to see a negative effect when we are back to normal.  Every day germs u were used to will now be foreign the cold will knock some out as the body is not used to fighting it any longer.

Again thr vaccine lessons severe effects but if it reduces coughing than ok it could reduce load

3 hours ago, vdep217 said:

With mask wearing I believe we are going to see a negative effect when we are back to normal.  Every day germs u were used to will now be foreign the cold will knock some out as the body is not used to fighting it any longer.

Again thr vaccine lessons severe effects but if it reduces coughing than ok it could reduce load

Agreed, but only for the true believers in "the mask" will keep you safe.