Scallops - advice sought

All the recent cast iron threads have me hankering for pan seared scallops.

What is the best time of year to buy them in NJ and where can I buy them as close to fresh off of the boat as possible?

I grew up getting them off the boats as they landed and having had scallops that fresh and sweet I just cannot abide the bleachy taste that many of the store bought or restaurant cooked ones have.

All help will be appreciated - thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, smittty said:

It’s hard to get them right off the boat unless you know someone unless you buy a bag. A bag is 50 pounds give or take. Get a few guys to split it up and I’ll get them for you if you want but it’s almost impossible to buy a few pounds off the boat 

What would the cash price for a bag be (ball park)?

Just now, madeinuk said:

What would the cash price for a bag be (ball park)?

Depends on what size and what day price changes daily. But I will tell you they are so much better when there fresh not many guys have even had a fresh scallop. You can’t get them off any boat. Most boats fish for 14-20 days then ship to market then to you my local fish monger or restaurant so most of the time that scallop you eating is weeks old. True day boat scallops are not easy to come bye but you can take them and eat them right out of the bag in cooked delicious 

1 minute ago, smittty said:

Depends on what size and what day price changes daily. But I will tell you they are so much better when there fresh not many guys have even had a fresh scallop. You can’t get them off any boat. Most boats fish for 14-20 days then ship to market then to you my local fish monger or restaurant so most of the time that scallop you eating is weeks old. True day boat scallops are not easy to come bye but you can take them and eat them right out of the bag in cooked delicious 

What do you know about scallops lol ? 

1 minute ago, smittty said:

I agree on the sooooo much better part. 

@madeinuk Up here, head to Metropolitan Seafood on 22 in Lebanon.  You won't find better seafood anywhere in these parts.  Mark goes in to the city at 3am to pick the freshest goodies from the market.  Nothing around is even a close second.  

If you find yourself in Cape May, the market at the Lobster House would be the place to go.  I think they're one of the largest suppliers of scallops on the east coast.  

Edited by not on the rug
2 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

@madeinuk Up here, head to Metropolitan Seafood on 22 in Lebanon.  You won't find better seafood anywhere in these parts.  Mark goes in to the city at 3am to pick the freshest goodies from the market.  Nothing around is even a close second

Bunch places within an hour that are selling stuff coming in from Day boats ..

day scallops that aren’t bleached are a thousand times better than those processed to sell at market 

45 minutes ago, smittty said:

If you had fresh scallops you will never again eat store bought brined scollops 

Edited by Lunatic