IGNORED

Landscaping tree questions

Where does the backwash line for that pool go? Could be alot of reasons why the last few are stunted and burned. Have you fertilized? Over fertilizing can certainly burn the trees. Overwatering/ underwatering can cause similar symptoms.  Do those last four recieve less sun? 

1 hour ago, Scotty155 said:

Where does the backwash line for that pool go? Could be alot of reasons why the last few are stunted and burned. Have you fertilized? Over fertilizing can certainly burn the trees. Overwatering/ underwatering can cause similar symptoms.  Do those last four recieve less sun? 

Ty.

All get same sun.  Backwash goes 6 ft away to the right of them to the corner and low spot of property. 

No fertilizer as of yet.  The balls aren't completely buried,  should I build up with topsoil or mulch? Fertilizer?

6 minutes ago, Dominant buck said:

Ty.

All get same sun.  Backwash goes 6 ft away to the right of them to the corner and low spot of property. 

No fertilizer as of yet.  The balls aren't completely buried,  should I build up with topsoil or mulch? Fertilizer?

The balls aren't completely buried?..doh.. pull them out and dig that hole deeper!!!

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Bury the rest of the rootball in mulch. I suspect that they suffered from sun scald as its common with evergreens. What happens is the sun takes moisture out of the plant and if the ground is frozen the plant cant take up water. The plants affected will probably die or large portions of the plant will die might have to replace them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!" - Chesty Puller

3 hours ago, Bowhunter444 said:

Bury the rest of the rootball in mulch. I suspect that they suffered from sun scald as its common with evergreens. What happens is the sun takes moisture out of the plant and if the ground is frozen the plant cant take up water. The plants affected will probably die or large portions of the plant will die might have to replace them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ty

also forgot to mention, i have about 4 inches of black mulch all around mine. them seem to be doing well. i bought 4 footers in hopes of getting privacy from a neighbor. everything i read says they grow 3' a year. if mine dont start getting tall soon then ill replant my 4 footers and plants 8 footers. 

Unless it’s a saltwater pool, the backwash shouldn’t have anything to do with it. Could be sun scald...especially with them looking like they’re out in the open and near that bright white fence, but likely it’s either too little or too much water. If they were planted last season, they are definitely going through transplant shock and arborvitae will always look their worst this time of year especially if they haven’t been fed the year prior. 

At the time of planting and through the first season, it’s imperative to make sure the plant has ADEQUATE moisture. This means going out and actually checking to make sure the soil is damp and cool. If it crumbles apart in your hand it’s too dry, if you’re squeezing water out of it...too wet. 

Don’t listen to the guy that said plant them deeper...WRONG!!!  Rule of thumb...especially with needled evergreens, is “plant it high they never die”  I personally like to see all root balls about 2” above finished grade and a 2-3” mulch layer up to the root ball.  Only apply a super thin cover of mulch over the root ball.  Too much mulch is worse than none at all and will create an environment favorable to the establishment of girdling roots.

After all that explaination, what to do now?!  Apply a slow release fertilizer such as bio tone.  It’s high in mycorrhizae fungus and helps the trees roots to establish in your soil.  Keep checking the soil moisture through this spring and summer season...and don’t forget to do it!!!  Water accordingly...I’d plan on watering 2-3x per week on a one year old transplant. Just because it rains one day doesn’t mean that the plant isn’t in need of water the next.  Mother Nature does not transplant, so she usually doesn’t give enough moisture for plant survival alone.

feel free to close the thread now...lol!

Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?"

21 minutes ago, delvalhunter said:

Unless it’s a saltwater pool, the backwash shouldn’t have anything to do with it. Could be sun scald...especially with them looking like they’re out in the open and near that bright white fence, but likely it’s either too little or too much water. If they were planted last season, they are definitely going through transplant shock and arborvitae will always look their worst this time of year especially if they haven’t been fed the year prior. 

At the time of planting and through the first season, it’s imperative to make sure the plant has ADEQUATE moisture. This means going out and actually checking to make sure the soil is damp and cool. If it crumbles apart in your hand it’s too dry, if you’re squeezing water out of it...too wet. 

Don’t listen to the guy that said plant them deeper...WRONG!!!  Rule of thumb...especially with needled evergreens, is “plant it high they never die”  I personally like to see all root balls about 2” above finished grade and a 2-3” mulch layer up to the root ball.  Only apply a super thin cover of mulch over the root ball.  Too much mulch is worse than none at all and will create an environment favorable to the establishment of girdling roots.

After all that explaination, what to do now?!  Apply a slow release fertilizer such as bio tone.  It’s high in mycorrhizae fungus and helps the trees roots to establish in your soil.  Keep checking the soil moisture through this spring and summer season...and don’t forget to do it!!!  Water accordingly...I’d plan on watering 2-3x per week on a one year old transplant. Just because it rains one day doesn’t mean that the plant isn’t in need of water the next.  Mother Nature does not transplant, so she usually doesn’t give enough moisture for plant survival alone.

Ty it's much appreciated 

23 minutes ago, delvalhunter said:

I can assure you that a pool backwashing chlorinated water 6' from a tree is not good for the tree. 

59 minutes ago, Scotty155 said:

I can assure you that a pool backwashing chlorinated water 6' from a tree is not good for the tree. 

IF the chlorination in the water was the issue, you’d see complete browning of the entire plant...very quickly!  The amount of chlorination in the pool water is no more than if he were to apply a slow release lime to the soil...at the most.  IF the chlorine levels were high enough to affect soil pH and the ability of the plants to uptake nutrients due to this, he would surely have burned his skin when in his pool too.  Let’s have him take a soil sample in the area the trees are planted and see what the soil test comes back with...loser buys the winner (me) a new 12 ga franchi SLX.  If I loose, I’ll purchase you a piece of hunting gear equal or lesser value!  Loser pays for soil test too!  😂 

Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?"