Jump to content
IGNORED

Striper/Tuna Spinning Reel


haggerty1616

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, hope everyone is well. With the warmer weather approaching the fishing bug is coming to light. Looking to get a decent spinning set up for this year that can work well for both striper (do a good bit of jigging and live-lining) and also tuna jigging.

Got into tuna fishing with a couple buddies last year (don't go more than a dozen times a year and mostly trolling, but want the option to jig) and striper fish the bay a good bit in the spring. -Already have a bunch of conventional/casting set-ups.

Not opposed to any used reels that might be worth taking a look at either.

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As said that’s really two different reels .

stripers would be a 3500-4500

tuna a 6500.

could buy a slammer 6500 for tuna .

save few bucks and buy a battle 2 then for stripers .for a less expensive reel they perform really well 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

 

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can land a 40# striper on a 3000 size spinning reel.  A 40# tuna would dump and burn it.   Apples and oranges two completely different types of fish require two diff reels. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is your total budget? There are most opinions on reels....I am a Shimano guy; Hammer prefers Penn...etc.

However, if you know anything about braid....FACT>>>Jerry Brown is the best casting of all the braids for spinning reels. Splice a loop on the end of the braid & connect fluorocarbon leader using a loop to loop connection (cats paw). I prefer the BHP leaders (bhp tackle). Also, crimps are superior to knots. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, nmc02 said:

 Also, crimps are superior to knots. 

I def don’t totally agree with that .

‘IMO many new brands of even the best crimping tools , just don’t give a perfect crimp .

lots of variation between each brand of crimps and lune thickness .

I used to crimp all my mojo leaders my self .

100 and 150 crimped great in their sleeves . 130 seemed to be best both worlds , but never found a crimp that didn’t want to slide , and tried many different brands of sleeves as well as different tools .

 

a PERFECT crimp is def better than a knot that loses tensile strength , but it’s tough to always have them perfect .

 

I wish necopress made a small crimper for mono  that was perfect like their one for wire is

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

 

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/10/2021 at 8:01 AM, JHbowhunter said:

You can land a 40# striper on a 3000 size spinning reel.  A 40# tuna would dump and burn it.   Apples and oranges two completely different types of fish require two diff reels. 

You’ve obviously never seen the inner city families set up on the banks at the Pequest TCA fishing for 10” stocked rainbows using 30# surf rods. :rofl:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

You’ve obviously never seen the inner city families set up on the banks at the Pequest TCA fishing for 10” stocked rainbows using 30# surf rods. :rofl:

Always interesting when you see someone trout fishing with a 10' white fiberglass rod, 50 pound cheap Shakespeare mono that you can hear slapping against the rod guides from 100 yards away and then the splash of a 4 ounce sinker.  More interesting when said sinker lands right in front of you so you need to move or cast over their line. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

I def don’t totally agree with that .

‘IMO many new brands of even the best crimping tools , just don’t give a perfect crimp .

lots of variation between each brand of crimps and lune thickness .

I used to crimp all my mojo leaders my self .

100 and 150 crimped great in their sleeves . 130 seemed to be best both worlds , but never found a crimp that didn’t want to slide , and tried many different brands of sleeves as well as different tools .

 

a PERFECT crimp is def better than a knot that loses tensile strength , but it’s tough to always have them perfect .

 

I wish necopress made a small crimper for mono  that was perfect like their one for wire is

I only use the jinkai crimps & momoi mini locks...NEVER, NOT ONCE had a failure. Simple to use. Make 16-50 lb, 60-90, 100-130. Best crimping tool on market. Costs $75

20210312_150605.jpg

Screenshot_20210312-150639_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Edited by nmc02
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

I def don’t totally agree with that .

‘IMO many new brands of even the best crimping tools , just don’t give a perfect crimp .

lots of variation between each brand of crimps and lune thickness .

I used to crimp all my mojo leaders my self .

100 and 150 crimped great in their sleeves . 130 seemed to be best both worlds , but never found a crimp that didn’t want to slide , and tried many different brands of sleeves as well as different tools .

 

a PERFECT crimp is def better than a knot that loses tensile strength , but it’s tough to always have them perfect .

 

I wish necopress made a small crimper for mono  that was perfect like their one for wire is

I agree thats why I always "mushroom " the end of the mono/floro before pulling it tight and crimping it.....For tuna I crimp everything 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...