IGNORED

Maiden voyage

Timo

Passaic river is a good yakking river.  It barely moves.  Best time to yak it is when it is flooded.  I remember one time being on the Passaic near great swamp and yakking through the forest in about 2' of water.  Strangest feeling sitting in a boat floating in the woods.  I got lost and spent about 15 minutes looking for the channel.  I've also yakked it near two bridges north of 80.  It wasn't flooded that time, but there were a few people in larger boats flying down the river.  Those wakes sucked, but I've yakked for years and could deal with them.  Plus, it was summertime, so a little water wasn't anything to worry about.

Like other said, wait until it's warmer.  One of the things you forget when you're in a yak is that you're sitting in the water.  If that water is 40°F, it gets cold quickly.  If you get any water on you or in the boat, it's going to get cold very quickly.  I've even put a wet suit (3/2 mils) on when it's around 70°F going down the Musconetcong.  When you're wet and there's no sun, you can get hypothermia when it's 68°F outside.  It happened to me, and it sucks.  If you are going out now, you'll go into shock within 10 minutes of hitting the water.  Find a small body of water where you know you can get to shore quickly if something happens, and go with someone if you really want to go out.  Also, no shame in wearing a PFD in the spring.  It WILL save your life.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

4 hours ago, MRMCR said:

Wait for warm water.........if you dont have experience and you fall in, youll be in trouble.............

A kid who worked for me years ago lost a buddy of his in the bay , kayak tipped over in high winds......they found the kayak and his phone but never found the body...

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

2 hours ago, Timo said:

Anybody ever fish white lake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blairstown/hardwick?  Yup, it’s a really cool lake. Not to big. Really clear water and deep in the middle.  I’ve caught fish most times I’ve gone. Nothing to brag about however being you can look right down and see the fish 15’ below you gets frustrating when they are decent size.  There’s a bait store called knot just flys in blairstown on 94 in the Valero gas station

Blairstown/hardwick?  Yup, it’s a really cool lake. Not to big. Really clear water and deep in the middle.  I’ve caught fish most times I’ve gone. Nothing to brag about however being you can look right down and see the fish 15’ below you gets frustrating when they are decent size.  There’s a bait store called knot just flys in blairstown on 94 in the Valero gas station

Good deal. Maybe that’s where I’ll break the ice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk