IGNORED

Training locations

Hi everyone! I’m new to this site and hoping for some recommendations for locations to train my retriever. I live in the Belmar area, so central NJ spots would be best. Looking for fields and for water. Was thinking Assunpink would be good but it’s just a little far for everyday driving. Anyone know of anything closer? I know Manasquan WMA has some fields but they all seem to be pretty thick. Any suggestions welcome...Thanks!

Hi everyone! I’m new to this site and hoping for some recommendations for locations to train my retriever. I live in the Belmar area, so central NJ spots would be best. Looking for fields and for water. Was thinking Assunpink would be good but it’s just a little far for everyday driving. Anyone know of anything closer? I know Manasquan WMA has some fields but they all seem to be pretty thick. Any suggestions welcome...Thanks!
Manasquan fields are not that thick I run my Brittany there often as I live in Brick

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!" - Chesty Puller

You might try try Collier's Mills.  The WMA has two good sized water impoundments. 

If you do go to Assunpink, be aware that they do a lot of fishing there and, when I went there some years back there are usually rigs and hooks and all manner of junk, including broken glass  in and around the parking areas.   I would be careful about beer bottles and such close by any roads and parking areas in ANY WMA.  

RayG

Birddogger hit upon a very important point and that is letting your dog go in water where they fish.  There are always hooks and lures submerged that were broken off near the shore line and there is also the hook with a bit of powerbait still on that's laying alone the shore also.  I stopped swimming my GSP at Assunpink & Colliers Mills or anywhere else where there is a shoreline fishing presence. I don't want her with a barbed hook in her mouth or paw!

You can find spots at all these places where the shoreline fisherman don't go.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

bowhunter , what side do you go to ? brick or allenwood ? i live in point and always run the dog at colliers mill , finding the brick side to thick , a lot of ticks , they do no controlled burn there , 

i have not gone there in 10 years ( the field on top of the hill )

bowhunter , what side do you go to ? brick or allenwood ? i live in point and always run the dog at colliers mill , finding the brick side to thick , a lot of ticks , they do no controlled burn there , 
 i have not gone there in 10 years ( the field on top of the hill )
Manasquan has changed a lot in ten years. They control burn the three fields on Brick side and opened up the main field. There are still ticks but nowhere near as bad as it was

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!" - Chesty Puller

Great info, thanks everyone. What a shame about all the hooks in the water... ill definitely keep that in mind. I’ll probably look for permission for some private land, too. 

Bowhunter, do you think it’s short enough for easy beginner level retrieves? Looking to introduce gunfire and want to keep his confidence up with fun and easy retrieves at first. 

Great info, thanks everyone. What a shame about all the hooks in the water... ill definitely keep that in mind. I’ll probably look for permission for some private land, too. 

Bowhunter, do you think it’s short enough for easy beginner level retrieves? Looking to introduce gunfire and want to keep his confidence up with fun and easy retrieves at first. 
The front field off of ridge rd past Brick dpw would be good for that.