IGNORED

For those who start gardening indoors

mike033089

Slowly getting the layout going of my garden and am planning to start heavy next season with planting.  I saw on the garden thread some guys starting seeds indoors vs buying veggie plants.  Does anyone have a link to a growing setup for indoors to start seeds vs buying plants each year .  Or any info on the setup I would need. Also why seeds vs buying started plants? Is it cheaper or better quality?  Any links or places to buy seeds and/or plants in the Warren county area (blairstown). Thank you.  

i start from seeds. only bec i like doing it that way. seems more rewarding to me then buying the plant already grown. i did buy a few plants last year though because i was having a rough time getting things going in my new house. i plant the seeds in egg cartons and then gradually keep moving up to bigger pots as they grow. i keep them in a window for the sunlight and when we get nice sunny warm days i put them on my deck and bring them in when the sun sets. mother day weekend i plant them in the garden. although last year i put in garden a week before mothers day and then mother day weekend we had a snow storm here so i had to tarp my garden. i didnt have a good garden last year. previous years was great. 

We start with seeds sometimes dried from previous years plants.
Put the garden in full sun and add horse manure.
When the time comes, Lowes usually has some nice vegetable plants.
Squirrels, g hogs and chipmunks will be ready to eat everything!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, mike033089 said:

Slowly getting the layout going of my garden and am planning to start heavy next season with planting.  I saw on the garden thread some guys starting seeds indoors vs buying veggie plants.  Does anyone have a link to a growing setup for indoors to start seeds vs buying plants each year .  Or any info on the setup I would need. Also why seeds vs buying started plants? Is it cheaper or better quality?  Any links or places to buy seeds and/or plants in the Warren county area (blairstown). Thank you.  

Build yourself a small hoop house greenhouse, like I did.....for less than $500 you can do a 12x12.......of course with using your own pipes and labor.......plastic was most expensive and I did buy some lumber......I can send you pics if you wish.....

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

My plan as of now is most likely raised beds or fencing off on the ground once I figure out how rocky it is. Unfortunately it will probably be pretty rocky ( to keep meat birds out) as I plan on fencing off the whole area with electric fencing and also raising my meat birds in the same area.  The fence will double to keep the pest out and bears/fox/yotes away from the meaties.  

I’ve started from seed last year with tomatoes, basil and peppers.  Did about two inches of soil in red solo cup with hole in the bottom for drainage.  Then put plastic wrap with holes punched in over the top with a rubber band and put them next to my bay window.  They started sprouting and really took off.  I fed them with a spray bottle but not to much a squirt a day maybe.  I transplanted to my garden in mid May and got hit with the snow as mentioned above which stunted some of the plants.  Some bounced back some didn’t but I had extras going indoors.  They produced okay. I needed more sun then what I provided too.  Regardless it was really fun.  Good luck!

Starting from seeds is wayyyy cheaper plus you get so much more. It is a major learning experience and you can make it as easy or as complicated of a setup as you want depending how much money you want to spend. You don't need a kit all the peices are easily obtainable. The only thing you can't do without is lights and they vary widely in price. I'm also a hug fan of germination mats they make seeds sprout much easier than without one. Having a shelving unit with adjustable shelves is pretty helpful as well. There are alot of people on here that are very successful at growing plants and far more knowledgeable than me but here's some stuff I have learned! Here's a picture of my first set up and here's a pic from right now ... I love to tinker with anything and everything so growing from seeds is just one more way for me to do that.

Get the peat pellets with the plastic tray and dome cover they come in trays if 72 and come with some fertilizer and labels.

When your growing from seeds there are so many things you can do wrong to screw everything up and sometimes you can do everything right and still not have good results but that doesn't happen too often. It's all about noticing what's happening that your doing wrong and correct it. Here's some thing's I have learned that will greatly increase your results.

# 1 soak your seeds in a water filled cup for a day before you sow them. This will really shorten the germination time and Increae the sucesss rate that they germinate by softening the seeds up.

#2 plant them at the right depth! Most seeds need very little soil overtop of them but it will tell you on the packet. I just make an indent with a pencil and then scrape the soil back over top

#3 use a heating pad under your trays to get the soil temp up to 75degrees range. Air temp and soil temp are not the same thing. Bottom heat will drastically improve you sucesss and the heating pads really aren't that expensive.

#4 keep the dome on top of you trays until the seedlings pop out then take it off or move your pellets that have sprouted to a different uncovered tray. If you don't they may start to get mold growth and rot out and die.

#5 get the plants right up under the grow lights most are leds now and produce little to no heat so your not going to burn the seedlings. I try to keep them a few inches away. This will make it so they don't get weak and leggy

#6 rotate the plants around under the lights if you notice them not growing straight up or see them getting leggy.

#7 don't over water them this is probably the biggest mistake made. And I am guilty of this one often. If you see the leaves getting yellow chances are you are over watering. There is a way to rescue the plants if you notice it early enough by mixing hydrogen peroxide into water and watering them with that. The extra oxegen gets Into the plants and can make them green again in a few days.

#8 if you see they just aren't really making any progress after getting there first set of real leaves or any time during growth they probably aren't getting the nutrients they need. You may notice they are getting purple. This can be fixed if caught early with little I'll effects by adding plant food. Just make sure your cutting significantly with water and not using the amount need for full size plants or you will kill them.

#9 you have to get them ready to go outside "hardening them off" you can run a fan on them. Swaying back and forth slightly will force them to thicken their stems to be able take the wind when they get outside. Also you should start Opening the window for a short amounts of time to get them use to the outside temps.

#10 grow lights should not be on 24/7 plants need a dark cycle inorder to grow correctly. Put them on a timer so they are only on between 15 and 18 hrs a day.

#11 this may be the hardest one to do. If you plant multiple seeds in each pod you need to thin them out eventually so they aren't over crowded. You will need to snip the inferior seedlings in each pod at the base with scissors and discard them. Leaving multiple sounds like a great idea an you would think you will produce more because of it but the plants won't grow as big or produce as much if they are over crowded

Just a few things to think about.. there are lots of other ways to mess it up also haha

IMG_20200519_201257.jpg

PXL_20210307_235152479.jpg

PXL_20210307_170107159.jpg

On 3/10/2021 at 6:32 PM, mike033089 said:

@Northjerseyoutdoorsman Would you happen to have the brand of the heat pads and what trays work with heat pads?   I’m seeing tons on amazon but reviews vary a lot!  Or even another website to order some things from?  Thanks

You can use any trays. These are what I use and I save them and buy the pellets in bulk boxes of 2000 and reuse them. That's the heat mat it's huge it will  hold 4 trays at once. The first one I used was taken off the bottom of an old lizard tank I had sitting around for years and I've read about people even using a regular back heating pad. They come in all sizes amazon is sold out of that one though

PXL_20210312_000644638.jpg

PXL_20210312_000403353.jpg