IGNORED

Comparing Splitting Mauls

Rusty

Our get-together on the 20th is the perfect opportunity to compare and evaluate different weight and style splitting mauls.  I'm torn between the Gransfors Bruk and the Helko Werk.  If someone could bring the Gransfors and someone else the Helko I'd greatly appreciate it.  :D

While we're at it, if someone else could bring a 6 lb. Truper with a hickory handle with the plastic collar I'd appreciate that too.  :D  

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 5.54.12 AM.png

Edited by Rusty

This looks like a good on as well.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessories/axes/splitting-maul/596271501/

I have been using a Fiskar x27 because I could not find anything I liked locally with a wood handle.  I have at least 5 years with it and no problems.   The handle is much better than any fiberglass ones I tried.

I spent most of my money on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.

22 minutes ago, MRMCR said:

Sharp edge or heavier weight ??  or both  which is better to have ?.........

That's why we need to conduct a scientific study on the 20th.  We'll have plenty of rounds to split so it's the perfect opportunity to compare various weights, shapes, and sizes.   

27 minutes ago, CJ3a said:

This looks like a good on as well.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessories/axes/splitting-maul/596271501/

I have been using a Fiskar x27 because I could not find anything I liked locally with a wood handle.  I have at least 5 years with it and no problems.   The handle is much better than any fiberglass ones I tried.

I have one of these. For popping rounds I prefer my Counsel Tools Maul over this. But once popped I do prefer this. Due to the head shape it is. Slightly different swing as to my mauls. I feel I need to drop my knees while keeping back straighter when swinging. 

And yes Rusty, I would love to get my hands on a Hulks or Gransfor to play around with at the wood pile. 

I do have a Gransfor splitting wedge. Now that thing is heaven. Razor sharp with a twist. Pops rounds fast, even with knots. 

Edited by Ron

I am the Lorax - I speak for the trees.