IGNORED

Mineral Site.....Anyone Start ?

BHC

8 minutes ago, Jcol6268 said:

Well before I say this, they aren’t apples to apples lol. The Di-cal for me is the expensive part. It’s usually about $40 for a 50lb bag, if I remember to buy it early enough, like now. Once people get to making their minerals I’ve had hard times finding it, until I no longer need it. That’s really what made me start using Trophy Rocks, Bio Rocks, and Deer Cane. I’ve found they last just about as long as my heavier home made mixes, are easier to carry out, and cost less, even at full price. However, I generally grab them when they are on clearance. And for the record. I don’t put out a ton of minerals. I like them for inventory purposes. I feel better about a small side benefit regarding herd health, but  it’s just a supplement. I will only put one site out per property, and I don’t use them on all of my properties. 

If you just want to attract deer a simple salt lick will be your cheapest bet. Mineral blocks are usually more expensive by the lb than your own mix with Di-Cal. 

8 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

Do you guys put out mineral sites for deer sightings, antler growth, doe/ fawn health or all of the above?

I have always done it for antler growth and doe / fawn health first. But it’s great for taking inventory of your herd. I love watching a buck grow his antlers from start to finish .  

46 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

If you just want to attract deer a simple salt lick will be your cheapest bet. Mineral blocks are usually more expensive by the lb than your own mix with Di-Cal. 

Yeah the salt doesn’t get the side benefit. If I’m just using for attraction I’ve used licks before. As far as minerals I find that the lb per lb comparison isn’t equal.  Comparing the units of nutrition there would be a difference. (Now that I’m typing this and thinking about it, I used to make my homemade minerals with a lot of product per site, maybe I’m doing this wrong and wasting product). However as far as how long they last and need to be freshened up, I find they are similar to the rocks. Between cost and pack ability, I find myself doing less and less homemade minerals every year. If I am doing a small property where I’m not lugging minerals more than a few hundred yards it’s one thing, but if I have to travel any distance I much prefer a rock that I can get for cheap and easily throw in my back pack.  That’s my experience at least. I don’t think I did a single homemade mineral last year.  

12 minutes ago, Jcol6268 said:

Yeah the salt doesn’t get the side benefit. If I’m just using for attraction I’ve used licks before. As far as minerals I find that the lb per lb comparison isn’t equal.  Comparing the units of nutrition there would be a difference. (Now that I’m typing this and thinking about it, I used to make my homemade minerals with a lot of product per site, maybe I’m doing this wrong and wasting product). However as far as how long they last and need to be freshened up, I find they are similar to the rocks. Between cost and pack ability, I find myself doing less and less homemade minerals every year. If I am doing a small property where I’m not lugging minerals more than a few hundred yards it’s one thing, but if I have to travel any distance I much prefer a rock that I can get for cheap and easily throw in my back pack.  That’s my experience at least. I don’t think I did a single homemade mineral last year.  

More than one way to skin the cat.

I find carrying a half full 5gl bucket is easier than then the heavy blks. 

Edited by Lunatic

Does the ground get torn up with a huge depression where you guys put it out ? I use Tractor Supply blocks on top off cut off stumps to avoid large depressions in the ground.

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

I'm cheap and lazy, I just put out a 50 lb trace mineral block and a 50 lb white salt block each spring.  There's usually half of each block still left from the previous year when I add the new ones.  The area around them is pretty torn up from the salt leaching into the soil year after year.  

I use it to take inventory  first and foremost, it helps with overall health or health in one way then great

They will dig the ground and eat the dirt as the minerals get absorbed into earth with rains......they will slow down from the minerals come September/October