IGNORED

Deep fry experts help....

Bonefreak

My bro gave me a turkey and I usually deep fry the whole bird in my rotisserie Waring Pro fryer....

but this time I breasted it out, sliced and tenderized cutlets, soaked overnight in buttermilk, dredged it in Outdoor Life’s wild turkey winning recipe, coated in the Waring Pro fryer’s recommended fry batter and followed the fryers recipe book

tasted great but didn’t get the Colonel’s golden crunchy look....what went wrong??  Shud have I used corn meal in batter??

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/newshound/2012/11/wild-turkey-recipe-contest-and-winner-…/

9B17342F-621C-45AF-871F-AB307FC6534E.jpeg

88A20962-3039-462B-8BA8-6094F440B9A8.jpeg

EDE269D6-C936-4CD3-801E-71D07E6E2BED.jpeg

7E62B6C4-891A-4F1A-99F0-BA5E3818609B.png

Edited by Bonefreak

6 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

Fryer book said cook at 350 for 6 minutes and I followed that....

and the cutlets were taken out of the fridge for 1.5 hrs prior to prep to settle to room temp

Idk then but I do most of my stuff at 375 because there is always a temp drop when food hits the oil

AWM

I am guessing you need to keep it in the oil until it gets to the desire color. It will be only short additional time to get there. I know your book said 6 minutes but your book does not have all of your parameters like temp of the meat, moisture content of your breading ETC.   (this is assuming your oil temp is what it should be the fryer maybe too small and when you drop the meat the temp will drop too much and additional time will be needed))

Edited by Lunatic

42 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

Idk then but I do most of my stuff at 375 because there is always a temp drop when food hits the oil

Thanks!

fryer light turns green when it hits dialed in temp....I will do 375 next time to account for cooling issue

but I think it’s more of a batter issue..

the batter is a thick, bread-like, smooth crust instead of like pic on fryer. 

15A4B630-C034-4DCA-AD99-3F4E41270F58.jpeg

56483FCE-ADFA-487B-A297-6FE63EA91C47.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

Thanks!

fryer light turns green when it hits dialed in temp....I will do 375 next time to account for cooling issue

but I think it’s more of a batter issue..

the batter is a thick, bread-like, smooth crust instead of like pic on fryer. 

15A4B630-C034-4DCA-AD99-3F4E41270F58.jpeg

56483FCE-ADFA-487B-A297-6FE63EA91C47.jpeg

I think your issue is temperature. Any batter can be cooked to a desire color 

sounds like oil is not hot enough or you took it out too fast  those small home fryers are not as accurate as the big restaurant models and cool down fast when you drop  cold food in so you just may need to cook longer to desired crisp / darkness. and remember all oils are not equal ...

2 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

My world changed for the better when I began using a thermometer to ensure my oil is hot enough.  If too cool, the oil absorbs into the batter and it won't turn that golden brown we all want and it will be "greasy" to the touch.  

I bough a deep fryer several years ago and I used it once. For me it is not practical for home use. Too much oil is required and its not like a restaurant where you use the oil to cook in it all day. You fry something and then what do you do with all this oil? 

5 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I bough a deep fryer several years ago and I used it once. For me it is not practical for home use. Too much oil is required and its not like a restaurant where you use the oil to cook in it all day. You fry something and then what do you do with all this oil? 

Agreed, which is why I just do it in our kitchen in a cooking pot but with the thermometer so I know it's hot enough.  

2 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Agreed, which is why I just do it in our kitchen in a cooking pot but with the thermometer so I know it's hot enough.  

I actually do it in my cast iron pan. I put just enough oil to gave whatever I am frying submerged half way and I flip it to get it crisp on both sides.