IGNORED

Rimfire help

To all of you rimfire aficionados, I could use some advice. I’ve had a bucket list item on my list that I’m finally going to pull the trigger on. I plan on buying an Anschutz rifle (probably the newer 1761) in a traditional stock in 22 LR. I think that I want the 2 stage trigger. I simply want to take the gun to the range and try to shoot the smallest groups that I and the rifle can shoot.....that and the occasional varmint raiding the garden (fairly close distance). I’m trying to find the right high end optic that will compliment this rifle. Looking at optics and reticles is making my head spin. I don’t plan on shooting past 100 yards; mostly 50-100. I would like pleanty of magnification for these aging eyes at 100 yards and the correct parallax for theses needs. I imagine that the proper reticle for my needs should be fairly simple, thin, and uncluttered. For those of you with experience in rimfire, I’d love to hear any and all suggestions. If you have exact scopes with reticle examples, please share them with me. Photos, etc would be helpful as well. Let’s see what you have. Thanks in advance for your help with this bucket list item. Rimfire is definitely new to me. Dave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dave, my first suggestion would be to sign up to the Rimfire Central forum. You’ll get advice and suggestions on anything .22 related that you can imagine. There are guys on that forums that live and breathe rimfire, you will get any possible question you have answered many times over. 

As far as your optic for a “short range” rimfire, you’d be surprised to learn that many of the shooters use this “Mueller APV 6-18X44 AO - $145” and similar models, as their primary scopes.  
Many rimfire shooters don’t go high end (relatively speaking) for their optics.  

You may want to poke around in RFC a bit before you make a final decision on what rifle you want. You may see a thing or two that influences your decision. 

keep us posted as to your progress, and if you decide to go the custom 10/22 route, let me know, I can be of more help in that category. 

Good luck with your decision, you will really enjoy shooting a rimfire, the bug bites pretty hard!

And as the shooters who shoot/buy the rifles that I’ve built say, “this rifle is a bit boring to shoot, all the bullets go in the same hole!” 😂

That will be your ultimate goal Dave, and you’ll have lots of fun trying to achieve it. 

Thanks Pathman! I already joined that forum and there’s a lot of information on there. I hate being a newbie on anything. I have so many questions yet it seems the more I know, the less I know. I really want to put a nice piece of glass on such a rifle. I’m sure that a much cheaper scope will do the job well. I’m just having a tough time finding the right combo of adjustability, power, parallax adjustment and mostly what type of reticle is used for this type of shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Njpddet said:

Thanks Pathman! I already joined that forum and there’s a lot of information on there. I hate being a newbie on anything. I have so many questions yet it seems the more I know, the less I know. I really want to put a nice piece of glass on such a rifle. I’m sure that a much cheaper scope will do the job well. I’m just having a tough time finding the right combo of adjustability, power, parallax adjustment and mostly what type of reticle is used for this type of shooting.

The search function is your friend Dave! 
Typically rimfire competitive shooters will use a very small dot or a very light wire crosshair. 
As with all optics, the more you pay the better quality you’ll get, but keep in mind, if 100 yards is your max range, you will get to the point where the cost/benefit starts to diminish and then you’re just pouring money into the scope that gives you no added benefit. 
That’s my opinion on it, same as with crossbow scopes. Guys spend hundreds on a scope they’re going to take 25 yard shots with, doesn’t make sense, but it’s your money so do what makes you happy, and it certainly won’t hurt you in any way other then in the wallet. 

Also, is 44 the right size objective or can I do a 50 (or more)? What do the majority shoot? Is the size a personal choice or what rimfire shooters need. I got a Zeiss with a 50 objective for a steal years back and it is by far the best glass that I have on a gun. I guess I’m asking, can I, could I / should I put a 50 mm on a rimfire? Will the higher rings make it less effective for shooting from a bench etc?

The search function is your friend Dave! 
Typically rimfire competitive shooters will use a very small dot or a very light wire crosshair. 
As with all optics, the more you pay the better quality you’ll get, but keep in mind, if 100 yards is your max range, you will get to the point where the cost/benefit starts to diminish and then you’re just pouring money into the scope that gives you no added benefit. 
That’s my opinion on it, same as with crossbow scopes. Guys spend hundreds on a scope they’re going to take 25 yard shots with, doesn’t make sense, but it’s your money so do what makes you happy, and it certainly won’t hurt you in any way other then in the wallet. 

I won’t say that 100 yards will be my max but to get started, I think it’s a good place to start. And I 100% understand with your summation on $vs reward. I just want to have room to grow into if needed and not regret buying an underpowered or incorrect reticle. I’m ok with crying once but would prefer not to cry twice. I truly thank you for your help in this endeavor.

I've been tweeking my 10/22 for a little bit and started with a 3-9 power for 50 yard work, that I upgraded to a vortex crossfireII 6-18x44 Ao. That lets me see pretty darn well where I want to hit.

I have not got into 100yard range yet, but at 50 theres plenty of power to it.

I think the vortex is not as clear compared to my cheapie leupold.

If colliers mills ever gets opened backup, you're more than welcome to meet up and give the vortex a test drive. The 3-9 is a nikon bdc i can bring along for looks.

You’re kinda in the area of personal preference now Dave, so that’s something you have to decide as far the height of the rings you get that can accommodate the larger objective, and if it shoots comfortably with the higher rings, again all personal preference. 

I've been tweeking my 10/22 for a little bit and started with a 3-9 power for 50 yard work, that I upgraded to a vortex crossfireII 6-18x44 Ao. That lets me see pretty darn well where I want to hit.
I have not got into 100yard range yet, but at 50 theres plenty of power to it.
I think the vortex is not as clear compared to my cheapie leupold.
If colliers mills ever gets opened backup, you're more than welcome to meet up and give the vortex a test drive. The 3-9 is a nikon bdc i can bring along for looks.

Thanks Greg. I have a 3x9 Nikon bdc on one of my slug guns. What reticle does your vortex have? Thanks for the offer Greg. Let’s hope this plague ends soon and we can get back to normal.

4 hours ago, Njpddet said:

Thanks Greg. I have a 3x9 Nikon bdc on one of my slug guns. What reticle does your vortex have? Thanks for the offer Greg. Let’s hope this plague ends soon and we can get back to normal.

Mine has the dead hold bdc. The adjustable objective is the way to go which ever scope you choose.

I picked up the titan stock for mine with the cheek riser, but have yet to shoot it.

I have this one.

My daughter has a BSA sweet.

Have a red dot on my charger.

I like vq, kidd

I really like brimstone triggers. Great work and fair price.

Both of my girls have custom bolts from jwc bolt works or atomic engraving.

Screenshot_20210305-185617_Chrome.jpg

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

6 hours ago, Njpddet said:

I won’t say that 100 yards will be my max but to get started, I think it’s a good place to start. And I 100% understand with your summation on $vs reward. I just want to have room to grow into if needed and not regret buying an underpowered or incorrect reticle. I’m ok with crying once but would prefer not to cry twice. I truly thank you for your help in this endeavor.

https://scopesfield.com/best-22lr-scope-for-target-shooting/

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt