IGNORED

Where do I start?

DonW

Hey Guys,

This will be my first year turkey hunting, I have a nice farm with tons of birds to hunt. I don't really even know how to phrase this, but where do I start? How do locator calls work? I have a lot of question, and any information will be greatly appreciated! I have mouth calls, a box call and a friction call. Bushden was kind enough to send me his document on calling, so I have been practicing that. I just have no idea what to do to locate a roost tree and things like that. Turkey hunting always seems such a daunting task to me. Youth season starts April 1, with archery starting on the 5th. 

Thanks!!

DonW

I don't roost, I have a general knowledge of location of birds in all the places I hunt. I personally enjoy walking around the woods looking for them when they don't feel like talking after flydown. I would suggest hooking up with someone in your area to tag along with or actually hunt with

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

If there are "tons" of birds, don't get too concerned. I have a spot near my house that I have permission to only deer hunt. Throughout the season, I can practically walk up on them. If you have open areas to observe, go out in the day and find their strutting areas. If you can't get there during the day, get there at least an hour before sunrise and use shock calls or hen calls as soon as you get out of your vehicle. I've had turkeys roosting right by my parking spot. Walk  around and every 75 yds or so, let out some more locator calls. Also, you can skyline birds roosting in trees if there is sufficient moonlight. Just set up around 75 yds or so and use a hen call to let them know where you (hen) are. Don't overcall. Just enough to get their attention. Setup your decoys about 25 yds away and hope they come your way. If not you can either run and gun or sit tight calling. Good luck. 

Go out in the evenings and listen go often see if you can pinpoint general area.  You don’t need to know the exact tree.  If you can find the general roost area that’s a great start already.  Don’t over do it in the morning don’t push it too close and don’t over call.  Let the woods wake up on its own then start the calling.  I seldom use locators at all.  I let them tell me where they are first thing.  Most of all be patient and learn from everytime our.  Good luck!

I am no turkey expert and live an hour from where I was hunting turkeys. I know several areas that usually hold turkeys and head there in the dark. My first sit ever I had two toms come to my call a few minutes after they flew down. I got greedy though and swung the barrel to shoot the second one since it was bigger-- that little move and they were gone in a flash. Lesson number one learned. Their eyesight is beyond incredible.

My next sit was in a ground blind. I was trying  to get my slate and somehow it rubbed perfectly like I was calling. Well the tom gobbled from the roost right behind me. I then  made another mistake by calling right at legal time. The tom gobbled again and within seconds was walking right past me. Problem was I was still holding the slate and not the gun. So I got the gun up, hit the slate once and dropped it in my lap. A second later he was 20 yds in front of me.Bang, lights out. So I definitely had some beginners luck and also made some mistakes along the way. Don't over think it. Just have fun. Learn from mistakes but don't beat yourself up over the mistakes. Good luck and post up your first turkey pics.

I agree with everything people said above. I don't use locator calls much, if at all. Don't worry about that. When I first started, all I had was a box call. Harvested a bird my first season - harvested 2 the following season. With a simple box call for calling - that's all I used those 2 seasons.

I also don't "roost" - I usually don't know where they are roosting anyway. You don't want to get too close to the roost anyway - if you walk under them you will either spook them or they will fly down in the complete opposite direction where you are and you'll never see them.

I like walking in early, pre-dawn, and just listen. If you hear them, great. If not, once shooting time comes around, let out a few yelps and hopefully you'll get a response. At that point, its game on. Maybe move a little closer (get to within, say, 200 yards of the gobbles you heard) or just sit tight and use that box call for some yelps to let them know where you are.

Don't over-think it if you know you have a lot of birds on your property, just make sure they don't see you first :)  Sit down next to a tree pre-dawn in a spot where you know they tend to travel and you should bring them in with some slight calls.

This might sound weird but, since it is your first year - you don't want to harvest a bird on your first day out anyway, so don't be disappointed if you don't get one right away. Get as many hunting days under your belt - it's awesome being out in the woods hearing the gobblers do their thing - and if you harvest one your first day, you'll lose all that valuable time and experience out in the field talking to birds, seeing how they react, etc. etc. If you get busted by a bird, just laugh it off and say to yourself, "Well, at least I had action and got close! I'll get one tomorrow".

Learn basic calls...go hunt and enjoy.  Remember this...turkeys are incredibly stupid...BUT...have zero curiosity.  Have fun...FYI...you don't need super 3.5 mag shells to kill a bird....all hype imo.

Never has used more than 3" shell of 5's...maybe 4's...anything 40yds and under...DEAD...1 shot.  Don't read into all the hype.

Thank you for all the advice and tips! I really appreciate all the knowledge you experienced hunters are willing to share, Thank you all once again, I'm excited to try something new.