2021 Garden Thread

On 5/5/2021 at 4:59 PM, LPJR said:

Late start but put some sweet corn and pumpkins in a small garden today...

20210505_130928.jpg

20210505_132223.jpg

The pumpkins that were planted exploded, so much so that I opened up the fence they were leaning on tonight to give them some room. 

Some cantelopes, lettuce, etc with some surprise pumpkins for the nieces (Giants), and the sweet corn is coming up nicely now. This rain this weekend will only help....

Resized_20210702_200305.jpeg

Resized_20210702_200247.jpeg

Resized_20210702_200327.jpeg

Resized_20210702_200314.jpeg

Resized_20210702_200535.jpeg

Some really impressive gardens guys!. I only do a few tomato plants now. When I did have a garden there were two or three plants that had to go in. Not going to go back and read all the pages but from what I've seen there's one plant that hasn't been mentioned. You Italian guys should know. (@lpjr).. here's a hint squash family the skin is lime green, May grow to 3 ft long but you don't want it to get that long because it gets tough. I'd pick him one and a half to 2 ft, but with three plants they are so aggressive and I had 8 ft wire fences next to trees they go right up the tree they're hanging from the tree so just for the heck of it, I'd have to get up the ladder to cut them down.True story  When I lived in Nutley my girlfriend would bring some to her co-workers  at work. She worked at Hoffman La Roche, So every morning she had to stop at the guard gate, guard looks in her car and sees him says you know there's no weapons allowed on the property. They both chuckled it was good times then. Baked fried grilled stuffed in a red soup it's an Italian staple. Pronounced gagoots.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/squash/cucuzza-squash-plants.htm

59 minutes ago, LPJR said:

The pumpkins that were planted exploded, so much so that I opened up the fence they were leaning on tonight to give them some room. 

Some cantelopes, lettuce, etc with some surprise pumpkins for the nieces (Giants), and the sweet corn is coming up nicely now. This rain this weekend will only help....

Resized_20210702_200305.jpeg

Resized_20210702_200247.jpeg

Resized_20210702_200327.jpeg

Resized_20210702_200314.jpeg

Resized_20210702_200535.jpeg

Looks like a Jungle Lou

13 hours ago, hunterbob1 said:

Some really impressive gardens guys!. I only do a few tomato plants now. When I did have a garden there were two or three plants that had to go in. Not going to go back and read all the pages but from what I've seen there's one plant that hasn't been mentioned. You Italian guys should know. (@lpjr).. here's a hint squash family the skin is lime green, May grow to 3 ft long but you don't want it to get that long because it gets tough. I'd pick him one and a half to 2 ft, but with three plants they are so aggressive and I had 8 ft wire fences next to trees they go right up the tree they're hanging from the tree so just for the heck of it, I'd have to get up the ladder to cut them down.True story  When I lived in Nutley my girlfriend would bring some to her co-workers  at work. She worked at Hoffman La Roche, So every morning she had to stop at the guard gate, guard looks in her car and sees him says you know there's no weapons allowed on the property. They both chuckled it was good times then. Baked fried grilled stuffed in a red soup it's an Italian staple. Pronounced gagoots.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/squash/cucuzza-squash-plants.htm

Holy Gagoot Bob!!! Never heard of these things!!

some happy happy girls out there!!

im guna crawl back under my rock now!   Lol

4272106D-8873-47EC-ADCF-5762BB12EB20.jpeg

761ABBD5-22AA-4BB7-A917-B6A8C60A21D2.jpeg

C8AA1FE7-AEC2-4ED6-82D0-62354BA7C49B.png

Picked a couple cups of blueberries the other day. Some wine berries today.  

Came home and checked the garden. Effen squirrels left a couple cherry tomatoes on my deck rail with one friggin bite taken out.  We picked a half dozen cherry tomatoes, a handful of sun sugar tomatoes (I think that's the name). Cucs are growing. Tons of peppers just nothing red yet.  

Let my boys dump one of our potato buckets. Got 6 taters out of it.  They will go well with some grilled Ribeyes later today. 

Happy 4th y'all. 

Good little harvest today.  Kentucky wonder beans, straighterneck squash, and tons of Boston pickling cucumbers, poblanos and Jalapeños.  

Whipped up a dozen mixed jars of 1/2 sour pickles, pickled Jalapeño and some “hot” 1/2 sour pickles.  It’s the same recipe I just throw in sliced pablanos and jalapeño in the same jar.  Made my rounds to a few neighbors and gave 9 jars away.  Now I just have to wait 3 days until they are ready to eat !! 

891FAD30-9745-4CFB-BAAB-CEBE7AAAE32D.jpeg