IGNORED

Question for food plot guys using ATVs

My best friend growing up recently purchased a 112 acre farm near our other hunting farm outside Cooperstown. The previous owner had several food plots that are now overgrown. I plan to use glyphosate (Roundup) to kill off the weeds and I purchased a disc harrow and a drag harrow for my Yamaha Grizzly 550 to rejuvenate the plots this year. 

My question is how much added weight are you placing on your disc and how securely are you attaching it?  I purchased a King Kutter (see photo) and have heard about 100 lbs does the job well.  Can I just toss something like two 50 lb sacks of birdseed on the unit?  

688AEAC3-02C3-4FC8-A42B-1FC1333B6251.jpeg

1 hour ago, MRMCR said:

I would guess it depends if you want to scarify or really turn it over........

I’m really not going to know until I get up there and try turning over the first plot. They have obviously been worked before, but to what depth I have no idea. It’s shale country, so few large rocks which is good. 

2 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

My best friend growing up recently purchased a 112 acre farm near our other hunting farm outside Cooperstown. The previous owner had several food plots that are now overgrown. I plan to use glyphosate (Roundup) to kill off the weeds and I purchased a disc harrow and a drag harrow for my Yamaha Grizzly 550 to rejuvenate the plots this year. 

My question is how much added weight are you placing on your disc and how securely are you attaching it?  I purchased a King Kutter (see photo) and have heard about 100 lbs does the job well.  Can I just toss something like two 50 lb sacks of birdseed on the unit?  

688AEAC3-02C3-4FC8-A42B-1FC1333B6251.jpeg

I used this type of unit a few years back. Good for making small, in the woods, plots with not much effort. In the previously planted fields I would start by mowing as close as possible, spray, and then try adding weight until you get the desired depth or disturbance.

19 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

I’m really not going to know until I get up there and try turning over the first plot. They have obviously been worked before, but to what depth I have no idea. It’s shale country, so few large rocks which is good. 

And i know you usually deal with water not earth..........

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

Just remember when you spray round up that the weeds or  grass you want to kill must be actively growing.  Depending on what you are growing for a foodplot will determine  seed depth.   Most guys will scatter seed and drag in. Seed to soil contact is key.

"All men die, not all men really live". WW

1 hour ago, ithaca10 said:

Don't forget Roundup causes cancer.

Not if you don’t breath it in. I wear the proper mask whenever I spray glyphosate.  I beat cancer once, no interest in facing it again any time soon. The boom sprayer behind the ATV helps keep it low to the ground and not as prone to becoming airborne. 

52 minutes ago, Rusty said:

For beer I'll sit on the disc harrow.  :D

I spent my childhood bouncing around behind a tractor on this thing so I'm highly qualified.  :rofl:

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 5.24.20 PM.png

You’re hired. And I know just the right combo of wheat beers to keep you entertained without falling off drunk too soon! :drunk:

2 hours ago, Zipper said:

Just remember when you spray round up that the weeds or  grass you want to kill must be actively growing.  Depending on what you are growing for a foodplot will determine  seed depth.   Most guys will scatter seed and drag in. Seed to soil contact is key.

My plan is to mow once and close and as things green up, hit it with glyphosate. I’ve got four plots that range in size from exactly 1 acre to .2 acres. But we have at least 40 acres in corn and the neighbor has hay fields with clover and Timothy. 

I had a similar disc like that and fabricated a platform made of plywood for bottom and angle iron for sides.....I ratchet strapped a heavy 3’ x 3’ concrete step pad 2 inches thick onto the platform to weigh it down and sink the disc teeth into the ground. 

I remember the concrete slab sliding around a bit and even cracking because it was such a turbulent ride....so if you build a platform make sure your weight is strapped securely down. 

maybe try 80 lb bags of Quikcrete put in burlap bags for weight?

sounds like u have some bigger 40 acre “reservoir “ plots that provide food and these 1 acre smaller plots can be focused as hunting plots.....so you may want to focus on planting some fall crops.....but in the meantime mow/roundup/disc throughout spring and summer a few times to kill the seed bank stored in the soil so your fall plots have no weed competition