IGNORED

Autism and the outdoors

Marksman57

I am reaching out to members that have children with autism or other special needs. I have three children, two of them are non verbal and autistic. I would like to find ways to introduce them to the outdoors. Anyone aware of any programs in the state or advice for exposing kids with special needs to the outdoors ?

2 minutes ago, Marksman57 said:

I am reaching out to members that have children with autism or other special needs. I have three children, two of them are non verbal and autistic. I would like to find ways to introduce them to the outdoors. Anyone aware of any programs in the state or advice for exposing kids with special needs to the outdoors ?

My significant other's 21 yr old son  is autistic and "overly verbal" although she was told at age 2 he would never talk ... I have been very in tune with the full "spectrum" as result and feel your pain.  I am not aware of any such programs - but will certainly explore this.   God bless - this is a very tough area to explore and as much as I think the outdoors should be "perfect" unfortunately nobody realizes just how difficult this truly is.  

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Contact BUCKMASTERS they sponsor those with disabilities , maybe they can lead you in the correct direction 

https://buckmasters.com/Resources/Disabled-Hunters

For Information Contact:
Larry F. Hart / Buckmasters American Deer Foundation National Director / BADF Director of Disabled Hunters Services / 3445 County Road 159 / Bangs, Texas 76823 / email: lfhart99@gmail.com

3 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

My significant other's 21 yr old son  is autistic and "overly verbal" although she was told at age 2 he would never talk ... I have been very in tune with the full "spectrum" as result and feel your pain.  I am not aware of any such programs - but will certainly explore this.   God bless - this is a very tough area to explore and as much as I think the outdoors should be "perfect" unfortunately nobody realizes just how difficult this truly is.  

Thanks for responding. It’s true it’s difficult to even get them out of the house yet do any kind of outdoor activity. However my daughter really enjoys hikes through the woods and I am going to try to introduce fishing 

Every child is different as my wife is a Special Education Teacher and has worked with a bunch with autism. She has a good friend that has a son with it. Sounds like you are trying and starting to get them out with the hiking. Like others said try some local pond fishing . Tough road ahead but all need a chance to enjoy the outdoors. Good luck

I had a client bring an autistic child on a charter .

‘he told me ahead of time that to understand his son would listen and do what ever he was told , but not to be upset that he wasn’t going to talk or respond to me .

told him no problem and off we went .

was a tough bite except for trolling .

‘after the first fish caught was a lull and as we were talking the son taps me on the leg and says fish on , as a rod was bent over .

‘he talked pretty much the rest of the trip .

was a very special  day for me on the water , that still brings a tear every time I think about it .

‘sometimes their truelly is magic in the air around us .

.good luck and I hope you get lots  of those special days .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

My Wife taught children in the Autistic Spectrum for 20 years. Young children to adults. Autism is a "spectrum". You can have severe disorder or mild. People with Autism can be highly intelligent. Open your mind up yo what this means and don't pre-judge. I think the best advice would be (as previously mentioned) to contact organizations like Buckmasters. I would even try "celebrities" like Steven Rinella from MeatEater. If they can not help you directly, they may be able to steer you in the right direction. 

Best of luck. 

I've worked in the ID/DD field for 20 years.  I don't know of any specific resources for the outdoors, but if you contact tour local Arc agency (there is one in every county in NJ) or Eastern Seals, they usually have recreation programs that you can get involved with or they can maybe help recommend other resources.  

@Marksman57if you want to PM me, I can try to help steer you in the right direction based on where you live

My grandson was mildly autistic as a youngster but he is now a junior in high school and will be getting his license and you would never know he had issues early in his life.

God Bless you your wife and children and prayers are being sent so hopefully it turns out for your family as it has for ours.

I thought, growing old would take longer ! 

I spent most of my money on shotguns and fly rods.  The rest I just wasted.

Have some different forms of it in the family as well. One nephew is high functioning and he took an interest in my mounts, pelts, sheds, and turtle shells. Those items triggered vast interest and questioning from him which was a shocker to even his parents. He isn't for hunting but understands the need for it as the other results is the cruelty of nature to the point where he actually defends it. I ended up just giving him a bunch of stuff to put in his room as they are truly appreciated for what they are. I have no idea where I'm going with this or what my point is, but those items were a trigger for him. I'm a simple redneck deplorable, but he opened up about it on his own and we have had some wonderful conversations about the outdoors. I don't think he could handle fishing but walking around the woods looking for the things that interest him would probably be a great day. The beauty of God's gifts are you never know where they are going to come from or what they may be. It is our human nature to want more or want something different than what we have. One of man's weakness is not seeing the gifts that may be right in front of us and not appreciating them for what they are. I probably didn't give you any answer to what you may be looking for but felt a need to share the experiences. Maybe there may be some help in there somewhere. 

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."