Welded Jon boat in bay?

With my kids wanting to go fishing with me I got to get a bigger boat.  I want something in the 18 to 20ft range. It’s use would be freshwater rivers and mud ponds so a mod V or flat bottom is what I’ll need.

seaark looks nice and they seem like they might be ok for the back bays.

anyone take a Jon boat or utility boat out in the bay?

We started out with a grizzly 1860 center console. Ran that all over great bay. 

Gunnels are low so you have to watch other's wakes. Basically stay outta the ICW and have fun.  

Be warned though, slightest chop and its a rough ride.

Oh, and a cross wind will fight you to the death getting it back on the trailer. Have guide ons and helpful people will be a lot easier.

Edited by Greg

I used to run a 14 ‘ modified v aluminum boat all over the raritan bay and also Oceanside outside of shark river .

‘IMO it’s not a great set up for kids , you get pretty wet in the wrong conditions , and it can get ugly quick .

‘at that point you need bigger balls than brains .

Saltwater wise I think a small 19’ fiberglass boat just handles the seas and other boat wakes a lot better .

a small Sea pro , mako, tide water , sea boss is just a better choice .

‘they won’t break the bank and allow you a much safer platform ..

may not be the best option though for fishing river  systems .

I do mostly freshwater fishing and can’t afford two boats. Since I have to get a bigger boat for rivers and lakes I was thinking I could possibly take a larger Jon boat in the back bays for early flounder.

I would never take it in windy days in the bay or on popular days when traffic would be high.

if it’s to risky I would just stick to a traditional bass boat and stick to freshwater. 

34 minutes ago, Bones said:

I do mostly freshwater fishing and can’t afford two boats. Since I have to get a bigger boat for rivers and lakes I was thinking I could possibly take a larger Jon boat in the back bays for early flounder.

I would never take it in windy days in the bay or on popular days when traffic would be high.

if it’s to risky I would just stick to a traditional bass boat and stick to freshwater. 

IMO  flat bottom boats don’t do well in boat traffic   Or even tight waves including the modified V  front .

those boats are designed for river and lake use .

a V Bottom is a different story . A 16’ v bottom having higher sides would be a much safer platform .

as far as picking days , IMO you can never trust the weather forcast .

conditions change by the minute and you need to be prepared for the ugliness that happens quick .

flat bottom  boats are designed to be more stable on flat water , and shine in that setting .

a v bottom was designed to be used in more wave action and be more stable in it .

‘modified v somewhere in between , but imo still more versed to flatter water conditions .

bays and rivers going to inlets Oceanside 2 to 3 foot isn’t an uncommon occurrence.

Edited by hammer4reel
3 minutes ago, rgw said:

Hammer is correct, that being said I run a 17 foot flat bottom in river bay and been up to 9 miles out in ocean, you have to take it slow most of the time but you can make it work 

That’s not with young kids .

The way your fishing is hardcore , and You know how wet a ride it can become quick .

‘imo it’s a young mans game , and could really scare young kids to the point of making it even more dangerous .

‘people driving bigger boats past a small boater dont think twice about swamping a small boat , and making a fun time a nightmare 

2 hours ago, rgw said:

Hammer is correct, that being said I run a 17 foot flat bottom in river bay and been up to 9 miles out in ocean, you have to take it slow most of the time but you can make it work 

You have been 9 miles out in a 17 foot flat bottom boat??😵

I could never have a good time doing that

26 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

You have been 9 miles out in a 17 foot flat bottom boat??😵

I could never have a good time doing that

You have to have it in your blood and be a tar.

I remember somewhere in the middle 70s I think I was at the belmar Marine launch couple guys came in a 17 ft Boston whaler.