IGNORED

Annual Adirondack snowshoe hare hunt with the boy results!

Bonefreak

Bugs 2    Elmers 0

Welp....the elusive and mystical North Woods snowshoe hare eludes us again!!

Hunted w guide Jamie Frasier near Schroon Lake in the Adirondacks last Sunday.  Weather conditions were perfect....9 degrees at sunrise warming up to 25-30 in PM, calm winds n sunny. @LPJR Declan’s coat look familiar!!??  Lol

Guides dogs had 2 good runs in the morning.

First chance was immediately after the below video of my boy walking up the trail ....he says, “there’s one!!”  So we see our first ever snowshoe hare hopping towards us in the wilds of his natural habitat....& he tucks partially behind a small evergreen branch bout 35 yds out....so I hold my 12 gage 870 on that spot and wait for my boy to take a shot cuz I wud rather have him get our first hare....POOM!! His 20 gage Bennelli cracks off a shot....& I see the hare scurry up the hill!!  I should have shot as soon as I heard his shot but I think I was in shock of just seeing the friggen thing!!  Lol

His next chance was on a different hare that the dogs ran for bout 30 mins and he actually snuck behind my boy at some point....but the dogs brought him back and I hear on the radio my boy says....”he just passed me...get ready out there”....then I hear his Bennelli crack off again!!  The guide comes over to help look for the hare n nuffin!!  He missed again!!  Apparently the hare didn’t pass him....he just appeared to pass by but hunkered down behind a snow drift then my boy saw him again. 

The afternoon hunts were uneventful with the dogs not opening up much on fresh scent although there were plenty of hare tracks and decorative Adirondack Christmas trees!!

Welp....we will be back next year and it is now our quest to kill one of these friggen things!!!

https://www.adirondackmountainandstream.com/about-us.html

56ECC6AA-7F60-4F80-91A0-A3BC0483C8F4.gif

89F51F2D-598F-49BE-B709-ADFD192AE5A0.jpeg

2E5BB2EB-1C9F-4550-90B2-171BBCB1536D.jpeg

49E01B7E-7D61-4A08-802F-F51B18F1B15A.png

684041A6-41E2-46D3-B763-A75BFE610DEB.jpeg

7758EA9F-F2D5-4FEB-9925-CD10907FA6D7.jpeg

9CA8A4DE-9960-4C1F-B8E2-89D01540357A.png

Edited by Bonefreak

1 hour ago, GilV said:

If I knew you were going I would have given you the hi brass 12 gauge 6 shot. Looks like we are close.

I hunt north Jersey for cottontail over beagles. I love hearing them howl!

Good looking out G!!  Thanks!!

I think next year I’m bringing my turkey gun loaded w 3.5 inch Winchester XR #6s....

we just received sensitive intel that the 2 hares my boy missed were apprehended hopping across the Canadian border wearing Russian issued, snow Camo ballistic vests!!

Gotta' be in it to win it.  I am never laughed harder while hunting hares!  As soon as you see one or the dogs get on one, all hell breaks loose and it's a friggin' comedy.  Glad you two had a good time and got a few shots off.  It's all about the smiles.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

3 hours ago, WVAhunter08 said:

Wow that’s awesome. I have my first on the way, a boy due at the end of may, and I hope we can do hunts like this! Thanks for sharing, special times! 

Congrats on your boy!!  

Another sportsman to our ranks!!

You guys are guna have a blast!!

On 2/27/2021 at 10:25 AM, Bonefreak said:

Good looking out G!!  Thanks!!

I think next year I’m bringing my turkey gun loaded w 3.5 inch Winchester XR #6s....

we just received sensitive intel that the 2 hares my boy missed were apprehended hopping across the Canadian border wearing Russian issued, snow Camo ballistic vests!!

😃😄😀 i'd leave the 3.5 6 shot at home and use an M249