IGNORED

The 20 gauge is ready for the range!

GilV

Loaded 20, 20 gauge CCS sabots with Hornady XTP 250 gr 45 cal bullets and 10 DGS20 and Fury Plastic Wad Base slugs.

I loaded the CCS and DGS20 per load data of the supplier. I loaded the Fury to load data of the DGS20, since the Fury is lighter than the DGS20. I have seen others load the Fury with 4 grains more than my load with the same powder. Going to the range on Monday. Can't wait to see what they do at 50 and 100 yards.

IMG_1213.JPG

Eager to see the results. I have a 220 and was thinking of getting into this.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

The DGS20 and Fury slugs are so easy to laod. I am going to take some pictures of loading them. The CCS takes more since you need a press to get the sabot in. I am going to see if I can treat the hulls to make it easier to load.

If you buy pre primed hulls the only tool you need is a roll crimper.

What you see in the picture is more than you need to load the DGS20 or the Fury.

I reload rifle so I have a lot of reloading equipment. Some of what you see does double duty for my rifle reloading. Out of all of this equipment at minimum, you would need powder, a scale to measure the powder, a primed hull, the DGS20 slug and the roll crimper.

The roll crimper is the black tool next to funnel. It fits in a hand drill or better yet a small drill press. I use a small Craftsman drill press.

What ever you are going to do, you need load data for the specific slug or sabot you are going to load. You can get that from the supplier of the sabot or slug. There other manuals available also.

IMG_1217.JPG

The CCS Sabot with Hornady 250 grain is about $1.35 per round including a new primed hull and powder. The other two are much less expensive.

I have a mold for a Svorog Match slug that is just like the Lyman sabot. That could cost less than $.27 a round if you get the lead for free, like discarded wheel weights from a tire shop. I haven't made any yet since it so cold and I have to do that outside.

Edited by GilV

20 hours ago, GilV said:

The CCS Sabot with Hornady 250 grain is about $1.35 per round including a new primed hull and powder. The other two are much less expensive.

I have a mold for a Svorog Match slug that is just like the Lyman sabot. That could cost less than $.27 a round if you get the lead for free, like discarded wheel weights from a tire shop. I haven't made any yet since it so cold and I have to do that outside.

If you go that route, save yourself the trouble and avoid wheel weights. The lead content is minimal compared to what you need. 

• 2 years later...

I know this is an older thread but just wondered how you made out in the end and what combo did you settle on. Specifically how many grains of Blue Dot did you use with the 20 ga. CCS sabots and Hornady HTP 250 gr 45 cal bullets? Or have you tried other powders/combo's? Any idea on FPS?

Any info would be much appreciated and at least a starting point for me.