IGNORED

Dying deer camp article

Bonefreak

Many things to blame but mostly the pussification of men. Deer camp!? That’s a few days......maybe a week! I can’t get guys I work with to get away from their wives to fish for a few hours! Invite after invite turned down.  Very few can dedicate themselves to anything these days unless it revolves around a screen and the house. 

1 hour ago, Mallard1100 said:

Many things to blame but mostly the pussification of men. Deer camp!? That’s a few days......maybe a week! I can’t get guys I work with to get away from their wives to fish for a few hours! Invite after invite turned down.  Very few can dedicate themselves to anything these days unless it revolves around a screen and the house. 

Couldn't agree with you more. I shake my head when I hear guys saying "my wife is letting me go hunting this weekend". Never asked my mother permission to go hunting, wouldn't ask my wife either.

39 minutes ago, birdshotnj said:

Couldn't agree with you more. I shake my head when I hear guys saying "my wife is letting me go hunting this weekend". Never asked my mother permission to go hunting, wouldn't ask my wife either.

Hey @nmc02!  Take note!

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

5 hours ago, birdshotnj said:

One thing my Uncle and my father taught me at a young age, it’s best to let any woman know right away that she has no control over when you go hunting. I think it has served me well and none of the serious girls in my life ever batted an eye at me walking out the door or being gone a week for deer camp. They knew from the jump what they were getting into. 

I’ve been apart of a couple deer camps so far in my hunting career and I consider it a different part of hunting. While most of the season I am geared at being successful and shooting a deer. When at deer camp it’s all about enjoying it. I got my brother back into hunting this year by bringing him to deer camp in the Adirondacks. It’s a special place with great friends and it’s what I look forward to the most every year. 

I read this article before it was posted...few things in each year that I enjoy more than deer camp. This past year was the first time in 20 plus years that I didn't stay for the week. My wife asked that I not sleep at our cabin due to covid. I really cannot put in words how much I love the experience....setting up the cabin, amazing food, drinks by the fire, tradition, relaxation, the hunt, & lastly, the whole experience. It simply is a different environment in PA, NY, WI, MN, etc. Pray each day my son is a hunter, to share my love for this tradition. I can't wait for it this year......

17 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I read this article before it was posted...few things in each year that I enjoy more than deer camp. This past year was the first time in 20 plus years that I didn't stay for the week. My wife asked that I not sleep at our cabin due to covid. I really cannot put in words how much I love the experience....setting up the cabin, amazing food, drinks by the fire, tradition, relaxation, the hunt, & lastly, the whole experience. It simply is a different environment in PA, NY, WI, MN, etc. Pray each day my son is a hunter, to share my love for this tradition. I can't wait for it this year......

It’s definitely a mystical experience that touches the existence of soul!

We have had a deer camp of about 5 people going down to my pals WV 600 acres for about 18 yrs. The times we have had have been some of the most memorable times in our lives w friends!

All that being said....ironically....when my teen aged boy grew strong enough 2 yrs ago to handle the big woods...& I bought him a 35 Rem for the trip....my request to bring him did not seem appreciated by the property owners wife citing she wanted to keep the tradition of our small crew that had already been going !!  

Talk bout mind blown and kicked in the nutz for trying to continue father/son deer camp traditions!!

I have been barely able to go the past 2 years and been trying to find a Pennsy deer camp to bring the boy to, then I may bail on the WV trip and start a new tradition w the boy because the seasons run just about the same time around Thanksgiving. 

1 minute ago, Bonefreak said:

It’s definitely a mystical experience that touches the existence of soul!

We have had a deer camp of about 5 people going down to my pals WV 600 acres for about 18 yrs. The times we have had have been some of the most memorable times in our lives w friends!

All that being said....ironically....when my teen aged boy grew strong enough 2 yrs ago to handle the big woods...& I bought him a 35 Rem for the trip....my request to bring him did not seem appreciated by the property owners wife citing she wanted to keep the tradition of our small crew that had already been going !!  

Talk bout mind blown and kicked in the nutz for trying to continue father/son deer camp traditions!!

I have been barely able to go the past 2 years and been trying to find a Pennsy deer camp to bring the boy to, then I may bail on the WV trip and start a new tradition w the boy because the seasons run just about the same time around Thanksgiving. 

Land is getting more expensive everyday...do it soon!

21 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

Land is getting more expensive everyday...do it soon!

Me and my pal recently chatted bout buying land for recreational opportunities n we both realized we can’t afford property and will never be land barons 

We figured any out of state huntin trips will be a matter of camping out or renting hotel rooms n targeting public lands or knocking on doors....at least we now know the dream of owning land is just that...a pipe dream. 

9 hours ago, birdshotnj said:

One life, one go around. No time to be asking permission to do what you love or like to do. If you have to than you are married to someone who hates you. No need to neglect your family,  your wife as well. 

I was a member of a hunting camp, Camp Yellow Snow, for 30 plus years in Potter County, PA.  Fathers and their friends and all of their sons made up our camp.  We sold our half to the other owner more than 5 years ago after another buddy bought a farm in upstate NY with much better deer hunting.  And my buddy that sold his half of our PA camp just bought an adjacent farm in upstate, so we now have Camp Snarker which is on two farms outside Cooperstown.  Same idea, three buddies and our kids and a couple of the kids' friend go every year for both archery and rifle camp.  There is nothing like deer camp!

Bonefreak, don't surrender just yet.  there are thousands of acres in chenango county  NY  that are lightly hunted and hold some big bucks.  You just have to find a small piece of property with a cabin or trailer on it.   I'm sure there are other guys that know of the same set up in PA  and NY