IGNORED

i bought a stationary bike

Kype

i am no excerise expert by any means. but over the past year i felt my self getting winded walking up stairs at work. yes im a smoker. not proud of it, but i am. so last month i bought a stationary bike for my basement. i have been picking away at it over the last month. i started at easy peddeling for a mile. just to get going. my last ride was 3 miles in 15 min. and tonight i just did 10 miles in 38 min. machine said i burned 344 calories. 

is this a good time? i have no idea whats a good time versus miles with biking. the last bike i had there wan engine and put 15,000 miles on it. 

before and after riding i do 30 pushups. so tonight was a total of 60 pushups and riding 10 miles in 38 min. 

Edited by Kype

1 minute ago, not on the rug said:

I don't know what good times are for stationary bikes, but I'm happy to hear that you're doing that and some pushups.  Now quit smoking!

Agreed.  Kype you owe it to yourself to give them suckers up!!!  I would judge how you are doing by how you feel when done.  45 mins on a bike is a great cardio workout and like Phil said, the push ups are a great finish for some weight movement. Keep it up

18 minutes ago, Tuck said:

Agreed.  Kype you owe it to yourself to give them suckers up!!!  I would judge how you are doing by how you feel when done.  45 mins on a bike is a great cardio workout and like Phil said, the push ups are a great finish for some weight movement. Keep it up

i feel fine afterwards. just legs feel alittle like jello, but havent peddeled a bike since i was 17. 33 now. 

thanks. 

Any time/distance you put in is good, especially if just starting out.

When on the bike, rather than focusing on time per mile, keep your heart rate up. Depending on your age   and what not anywhere from 120-150 BPM will be a great workout! 

Getting started is the hardest part, hats off to you

4 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

The best resource for HR monitors is this guy. I just recently got a new one and spent a month doing research.  This guy reviews everything out there.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

Quitting isn't easy, but you could do it. I never smoked, but I dipped from 18-35. I haven't touched a tin since August, and honestly don't miss it at all. Stopped cold turkey. The first week is the hardest, then it got very easy. Good job bro, keep up the exercise, and when you're ready, quit the cigs.

Stationary bike is great because you always know where you are going and always know where you have been............also buy a good one....many times at our estate sales we sell a person an old crappy one......I always think they are going to struggle using that, get frustrated and give up.......so buy a good one and you are more apt to use it.......

Edited by MRMCR

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

That is great that you are making the steps towards a heart healthier life. Time on bike is good. If you have the opportunity to put youtube up we’re you are biking at try out interval training. I have been impressed with the Global Cycling Network (GCN) videos. They have a lot of them. There are also numerous videos by others and Amazon has many also. Interval training is great, breaks the monotony. 

I am the Lorax - I speak for the trees. 

Cycling has really taken-off this past year due to the pandemic. Peloton sales are thru the roof, and trying to buy a quality bike might take months, some are even sold-out for the year. Your pace is good, now to just incorporate riding into your schedule, so that you maintain it. Getting a heart-rate monitor in the future is good idea. Skip the push-ups on bike days and do some stretching before and after (trust me). Pushups/crunches are fine, but you might as well save them for days that you don't ride. Not sure what bike your'e using now, so hard to make many suggestions on equipment. 

While they have been around for a long time, there have been huge advancements in "virtual" cycling the past few years. If you enjoy it now, getting a Peloton (or similar) is a really good way to keep things fresh, engaging and useful to everybody in your household. Yes, the subscriptions and price do suck, but like any other exercise gear, look at the used market a few months after the New Year.

There are also smart Trainers and smart stationary bikes that integrate with apps and can provide really, really good workouts. Think of it as cycling simulations. Zwift, Trainerroad and Rouvy are just some of the offerings; and monthly subscriptions are way less. This is what I use now, and I promise you that there is a large puddle of sweat on the ground after every ride.

I was a smoker for a really long time too, always hated it, but had a helluva time kicking it.