IGNORED

P/U Truck tires - 20" vs 18"?

JHbowhunter

I miss my 87F250 with 33-12.50-16’s.  15 and 16 inch wheels were the norm. Amazing how things change. I’ve been running 18’s on my F150. No complaints. Good ride. Not to expensive to replace. 
   That being said I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a truck I really liked because it had 20’s. Buy the truck!! Post some pics!

I have my 2014 f150 with 20's.  I would have preferred 18 for running the beach and off road as woodman has stated, but have yet to have any issues. The stock ford tires did ok on the beach. The yokohama's are way better and really feel no disadvantage being 20's on sand with them.I always air down to 15psi.  Alternately you can go with taller 20" tires to get a little more sidewall. I do believe 18" tires run a wee bit cheaper too.

I’m down in Hatteras multiple times per year and drive in the sand all the time with my sequoia with 20’s. Make sure you air down heading out and air up as soon as you can after you hit the pavement. I have pulled a few jacked up trucks out with there mud tires. Not good in sand I’m using Goodyear Wrangler duratracs. They are great. 

On 2/24/2021 at 6:14 PM, JHbowhunter said:

Thinking about trading in my truck for a new F-150.  Trade in values are insane right now.  One I like has 275/60/R20 tires, and I tend to prefer more rubber/less rim and another I like is the less sporty 275/65/R18 size. 

I am NOT a tire expert, would love someone smarter than me to advise, like @Woodsman416

Thanks

I prefer more rubber less rim myself. Better for when you air down for sand driving...like on the beach. My Suburban has 265/70 R16. First 2 pickups i had wore 33x12.50R15...i had no trouble getting around with those however i never drove either on the beach. The only sand i encountered was in Wharton yet luckily no issues.

On 2/24/2021 at 6:33 PM, Woodsman416 said:

Larger wheel diameter and shorter sidewall means less lateral flex in the assembly and will give you better handing/steering response. Smaller wheel diameter with larger tire sidewall gives you more radial flex giving better rough road/off road forgiveness. In the end, for most people, it's a matter of aesthetics over function.

Your a pro at this👍

Decided to go with a black F150, 3.5L ecoboost twin turbo, with the 18" wheels, 275/65 R18.   Very well appointed XLT but has the integrated tailgate workbench, drop-down step to get into bed, power outlet, LED bed lighting, locking rear diff, and many other features.       There really was nothing wrong with my 2018 2.7L ecoboost, but trade-in values are insane right now I am getting 5K less than I paid for this truck, almost like "free money". 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

14 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Decided to go with a black F150, 3.5L ecoboost twin turbo, with the 18" wheels, 275/65 R18.   Very well appointed XLT but has the integrated tailgate workbench, drop-down step to get into bed, power outlet, LED bed lighting, locking rear diff, and many other features.       There really was nothing wrong with my 2018 2.7L ecoboost, but trade-in values are insane right now I am getting 5K less than I paid for this truck, almost like "free money". 

Congrats Jack! Pics?

48 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

So much for Jack owning a "truck".

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.