IGNORED

P/U Truck tires - 20" vs 18"?

JHbowhunter

Thinking about trading in my truck for a new F-150.  Trade in values are insane right now.  One I like has 275/60/R20 tires, and I tend to prefer more rubber/less rim and another I like is the less sporty 275/65/R18 size. 

I am NOT a tire expert, would love someone smarter than me to advise, like @Woodsman416

Thanks

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I'm in the same truck you are, Jack, but I'm running 20s.  The original pair look great and I still have them with maybe 27K on them so far in case I put them back on in summer.  My Coopers wear nicely.  Should wear longer than a smaller diameter is my guess.  Rides great on 20s.

Edited by Bucksnbows

Larger wheel diameter and shorter sidewall means less lateral flex in the assembly and will give you better handling/steering response. Smaller wheel diameter with larger tire sidewall gives you more radial flex giving better rough road/off road forgiveness. In the end, for most people, it's a matter of aesthetics over function.

Edited by Woodsman416

4 minutes ago, Woodsman416 said:

Larger wheel diameter and shorter sidewall means less lateral flex in the assembly and will give you better handing/steering response. Smaller wheel diameter with larger tire sidewall gives you more radial flex giving better rough road/off road forgiveness. In the end, for most people, it's a matter of aesthetics over function.

This.  

20s will run nicer on the road and the highway too.  Unless you're hitting some nasty spots off road or you spend more than half of your time in the dirt, I'd go with the 20s.  The sidewall height difference between those 2 sizes is only 1/2" anyway

1 minute ago, not on the rug said:

This.  

20s will run nicer on the road and the highway too.  Unless you're hitting some nasty spots off road or you spend more than half of your time in the dirt, I'd go with the 20s.  The sidewall height difference between those 2 sizes is only 1/2" anyway

sand?

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I have twenties on my truck right now, absolutely hate them. If you live in the ghetto and drive on the streets they're perfect if you actually drive your truck like a truck they're going to suck small wheel big tire only way to go

IMG_20200601_133004~2.jpg

Edited by Roon

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

1 minute ago, JHbowhunter said:

sand?

I'm not an expert on driving in the sand, but I think airing down and running the 20s shouldn't be a problem. Google it and see what guys are saying on other forums.  Maybe some other guys can weigh in on that.

Personally, the 20s will ride better for the other 50 weeks of the year.  If they suck in sand, buy some inexpensive 17s or 18s and put some Mud Tires on them just for sand use

1 minute ago, Roon said:

I have twenties on my truck right now, absolutely hate them. If you live in the ghetto and drive on the streets they're perfect if you actually drive your truck like a truck they're going to suck small wheel big tire only way to go

Most guys don't ever get their trucks dirty these days.