IGNORED

Ammo shortage....something smells

Bonefreak

Tried to buy a box of high brass 6s at Davis Sport shop in way up to Adirondacks for snowshoe hare huntin and the shelves were pretty bare....they had a few boxes of #9s

i heard about the shortage....watched the Federal Ammo company’s video by the factory manager claiming they can’t keep up w the demand....I heard bout the 8 million new gun owners in 2020 etc etc

my gut was right about the Plan-demic last February....& my gut is telling me that something smells about the ammo shortage .....

look at my quest at getting high brass 6s, small game season was 4 months ago and shelves are not restocked by now!!??  

something ain’t right

Think if you have 8 million new gun owners. And they each buy 4 boxes of ammo. That’s 32 million boxes of ammo that’s in demand of the already large demand. My department has had a back order of ammo in since before the shortage. Then they just doubled it because who wants to have a hard time ordering it?! Every LE agency in the country is probably doing the same. Add that to the military and all of the “hoarders” and you have quit the demand. You have guys buys ammo to guns they don’t have!! Panic creates buying and buying creates panic. It’s an endless cycle. I think we will be in the same spot this time next year. 

Everything ammo related is in short supply these days. Powder, primers, brass,etc.. Even finding reloading dies and equipment in popular calibers can be hit-or-miss. Hoarders certainly don't help; but you keep hearing stories of guys walking into gun shops and buying everything they can, just in case.

Have to agree with you a little bit. Same for some rifle hunting ammo such as 30-06 & 308. For the most part most seasons are over with and two loads I usually use haven’t been available at all. You can’t tell me that some of it shouldn’t be available gradually by now

Edited by Silver Belly62

So raw materials are an issue.

Supposedly we were getting them from China and Australia. 

Next, word is FB has cut off Australia citizens from US FB.

I know something is up. We haven't seen any new reports about over seas and the virus. No FB posts about Italy.

NOTHING FROM ENGLAND OR ITALY.

It is like information isolation. 

Now a place near me got about 2 full pallets of 7 and 8 12 and 20 ga. They went in about a week. I was able to shoot with friends and we went through 4 boxes of clays.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

16 hours ago, Silver Belly62 said:

Have to agree with you a little bit. Same for some rifle hunting ammo such as 30-06 & 308. For the most part most seasons are over with and two loads I usually use haven’t been available at all. You can’t tell me that some of it shouldn’t be available gradually by now

Manufacturers aren’t going to be producing for a little bit. They don’t consistently produce hunting rounds 365. They do production runs. Which is gunna continue the problem. Once it hits the market, after guys haven’t been able to find it they will stock up again creating a frenzy. 

7 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Would think very few of the “NEW” gun owners are looking to buy birdshot .

would expect more new gun owners were buying self protection stuff , not small game loads 

New gun owners are buying out of fear and want home protection they are buying what ever they can.  I was in shooters the other day and herd the guy telling one person we are out of buck shot but if you want somthing to keep in the house this will work.  Sold him a box of 3 inch remington turkey loads.

9 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

New gun owners are buying out of fear and want home protection they are buying what ever they can.  I was in shooters the other day and herd the guy telling one person we are out of buck shot but if you want somthing to keep in the house this will work.  Sold him a box of 3 inch remington turkey loads.

The number of new gun owners is huge. If only 20% bough shotguns and they can not get what they need they will buy anything they can use in the gun just to play with it.
If this applies to 20% of the new gun owners and each buys 5 boxes you are talking about 8 million boxes. 

I don't do conspiracy theories.  So I'll start there.  Not only did we have the riots leading to 8 million new gun owners, we had slower production for 3 years leading up to that while Trump was in office prior to Covid.  So on top of a big swing up in demand, we had a much smaller production of ammo due to lack of demand over a 3 year period.  Now add into the equation the fact that all items that need to be sourced including brass, lead, copper, etc. were all greatly slowed down by the pandemic.  And gun owners both new and old are hoarding ammo.  A perfect storm...but nobody is conspiring to keep ammo out of the hands of legal gun owners.  Nobody.  

2 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

I don't do conspiracy theories.  So I'll start there.  Not only did we have the riots leading to 8 million new gun owners, we had slower production for 3 years leading up to that while Trump was in office prior to Covid.  So on top of a big swing up in demand, we had a much smaller production of ammo due to lack of demand over a 3 year period.  Now add into the equation the fact that all items that need to be sourced including brass, lead, copper, etc. were all greatly slowed down by the pandemic.  And gun owners both new and old are hoarding ammo.  A perfect storm...but nobody is conspiring to keep ammo out of the hands of legal gun owners.  Nobody.  

And it's not the first time this has happened 

14 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Never, EVER, waste the opportunity for a good conspiracy theory.

Read this and get real paranoid.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/naomi-wolf-tucker-clinton-adviser-biden-lockdowns

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.