IGNORED

2/22/21 - Virtual Trout Stocking Meeting March 6 at 10am

I might log on to this to complain about the stupidity of the"winter stocking"  The stupidity comes in because they announce when they will do it. The result is droves of"meat fisherman" show up and fish while they are stocking. I was at Green Turtle Pond a couple of years ago when the stocking truck was there. They were lined up shoulder to shoulder on both sides of the truck. Winter stocking is supposed to be so trout are available through the ice once the impoundments freeze. If they want that to happen they should just not post online when the stocking is to occur and/or close the impoundments to fishing on the stocking day.

BTW many of these"meat fisherman" were leaving with more that four fish.

1 hour ago, 230jhp said:

I might log on to this to complain about the stupidity of the"winter stocking"  The stupidity comes in because they announce when they will do it. The result is droves of"meat fisherman" show up and fish while they are stocking. I was at Green Turtle Pond a couple of years ago when the stocking truck was there. They were lined up shoulder to shoulder on both sides of the truck. Winter stocking is supposed to be so trout are available through the ice once the impoundments freeze. If they want that to happen they should just not post online when the stocking is to occur and/or close the impoundments to fishing on the stocking day.

Winter stocking is not just for fishing the hardwater many county ponds /lakes even thou they are stocked winter stocking there isn't anyone permitted on the ice be fishing/ ice skating etc.

3 hours ago, 230jhp said:

It's the best way to be heard every year!  I've attended all but maybe one of these meetings when they were in person over the last 20 years and it's 95% the exact same faces year after year.  So very few take the time to get involved and attend to ask questions and hear from the Division biologists.   Guess it's easier to complain on a forum.  

That said, don't be discouraged when they don't make that change, but I agree with you 100% and have voiced this same thing previously as have many others.  In time, they just might listen because it is angler based and not a strictly science based decision and if anglers want it, they should agree to it.   

2 hours ago, Mallard1100 said:

I agree with you on the announcement portion. I wish the state would do away with it for both trout and pheasant. With that said, the winter stocking is not solely for trout opportunities through the ice. 

I can see it possibly happening for trout some day but do not think it would happen for pheasant. The reason being I think too many people would not buy a stamp because they do not know if there will be birds (yes there are always birds there for a trained dog) on their day off. 

I think the first year many moons ago when they started the fall stocking they only listed the week they would stock a particular body of water. That would be better then announcing the particular day and good compromise for every angler.