IGNORED

Anyone Shooting TAC? 2021

thefirstndsecond

This will be my first year shooting something like this. A few of us heading there.

I will get getting in shape for this. Already down some and will need to drop more and get in better shape.

Anyone here thinking of going or who have gone to a TAC or large 3D shoot?

Excited for the opportunity. New bow coming.  Hope to show you guys once we get it set up. Looking to have a nice front and side stabilizer. My first adjustable sight. Sticking with the G5 quiver though. I love that thing.  Going to try a new hook release and may start fooling around with a target release.

Will be looking into a little lighter arrow.

I shot FMJ's the last few years for hunting and a couple 3D courses. I wanted to shoot what I hunted with.

*5mm FMJs vsd 5MM FMJ match are +/- .002 vs +/-.001 straightness

Current 5mm FMJ's (340)
Arrow length 29.5 inches

Arrow 11.3 per inch
Nock - Standard - 9 grains (nock turnals 23 grains)
Blazer Vanes - 6 grains each
HIT 16 grains
Broad head 100 or 125

Arrow = 333.35 + (nockturnals) 23 + (6(3)) + 16 + broad head

390.35 + broad head = Slick trick magnums 125 - 515.35

Arrow - 333.35 + 9(X Nock) + 18 (Fletching) +16 for insert +  broadhead = 501.35

These were about 10.3 FOC

This year I am thinking of trying something of a lighter arrow so I can get better foc ( Forward of center) something along the lines of 15%

To do this looking into Easton AXIS, Black Eagle, and GT.

I wanted to get in the arrow weight range of maybe 450 to 500 with a higher FOC.

This also lets me play with more types of broadheads.

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

Ditch the FMJs asap.  They're terrible arrows.  They get destroyed easily,  and you'll never get decent FOC unless you're putting 400-500g up front.  Gold Tip Hunter Pro or Black Eagle  Carnivores work pretty well.  

My main arrow is a GT Hunter pro, 100g stainless steel ethics archery insert and 100g broadhead.  3 AAE Max stealth vanes and a standard GT nock. 500g total...15% FOC.  Perfect for most game. Probably a little light for hogs

2 hours ago, not on the rug said:

Ditch the FMJs asap.  They're terrible arrows.  They get destroyed easily,  and you'll never get decent FOC unless you're putting 400-500g up front.  Gold Tip Hunter Pro or Black Eagle  Carnivores work pretty well.  

My main arrow is a GT Hunter pro, 100g stainless steel ethics archery insert and 100g broadhead.  3 AAE Max stealth vanes and a standard GT nock. 500g total...15% FOC.  Perfect for most game. Probably a little light for hogs

They worked well for what I was using them for. You see the reason why I want to switch. 

Was looking at the gold tips, the black eagle impacts and the carnivores.

Funny how that is the direction I was headed. 

Do you shoot 3d a lot?

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

1 hour ago, thefirstndsecond said:

They worked well for what I was using them for. You see the reason why I want to switch. 

Was looking at the gold tips, the black eagle impacts and the carnivores.

Funny how that is the direction I was headed. 

Do you shoot 3d a lot?

I don't really shoot 3d, but I'd like to.  You could certainly shoot a lighter arrow for 3d, but then you'd need to re-tune and re-sight in when you were hunting.  Or you could find a middle ground.  Truthfully,  a 500g arrow flies pretty flat out to 40 or so, depending on the bow setup

I shoot 3d and nfaa tournaments almost every weekend from next week to the end of summer.  TAC shoot is a ton of fun.  I shoot up to 100 yards everyday and really have done a lot of experimenting and fine tuning on all my equipment.  For 3d and long range flight, ive always build arrows between 10-15% foc.  For indoors or hunting, my arrows are usually 12-17% foc.  Proper bareshaft tune is most essential.  Bareshaft tune to 20 yards, then fine tune past that to 30 yards past.  Form and shot execution is a huge part of long range tuning which in turn equates to better accuracy.  There is usually a good shoot (indoors and outdoors) within reasonable driving distance every weekend

I have never done bare shaft tuning. I will work on that with a couple guys who have.

Both shoot indoor leagues and have shot TAC. They are levels above where I am and I want to learn.

I have typically set up for 40 and 50 yard shots. TAC will be longer.

I am going to take them up on any knowledge I can. 

10 hours ago, BCsaw said:

The Rinehart 100 is coming back to NJ in September.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thats great news!

In NJ, there are archery clubs that will host a 3D or indoor shoot EVERY weekend from now until the end of summer.  These clubs are (indoor) wopena, waxobe, garden state archers (eckman range).  For outdoor shoots, check out garden state archers, black knight bowbenders, farmers archery, lincoln park archers, and Obissquasoit Bowmen.  I wanted to note that all shoots can be shot for fun even if they are a competitive shoot.  They are for all levels of archery (pro to beginner, compound or trad and sometimes allow xbows) regardless of the venue.  They are also tons of shoots at clubs outside of NJ also.  

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all this info. Sorry I didn't see the replies.

I work Sundays, but will make more of an effort to get myself and my daughters into more archery.

To me 3d shooting seems to be the best way for me to become one with my set up.

I have easton 5mm axis match on order and may order something else for TAC. New world for me.

by the way.. I picked up my new bow.. pics to come.

Just to give you some numbers. These are 2 of the arrows I have at home that I shoot:

28.5” Easton Axis 300. 50 grain brass insert, (3) 3” AAE Max vanes and 125 grain head. 517 grains

28.5” Gold Tip Hunter 300. 12.1 grain insert. 20 grain FACT weight. (3) 3” AAE Max vanes and 125 grain head. 465 grains. 

I am the Lorax - I speak for the trees.