IGNORED

New Deer Rifle!

trapoholic

12 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

It’s crazy to see the prices they are selling these old rifles for .

‘in the 80’s you could buy them for 150 bucks with a good scope 

I bought a 760 BDL new for $175 in .270 caliber circa 1980. Sold it about 10 years ago for peanuts compared to what I could get these days. Who knew? 

My father had a 270 from one of the first years they made that caliber . Early 50’s.

he always laughed that he paid 53 dollars for it .

thinking he won the lottery when they were selling for 150 in the 80’s

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Bojaffa said:

Geeze. The prices these rifles are going for on GB is crazy. There’s gotta be so many buried in old timers closets around the Northeast. 

Yes indeed! I firmly believe that there are hundreds right here in NJ that will never be used by anyone in that family again. Most will end up at your local gun shop. Most widows or even elder hunters cannot be bothered with showing the rifle to a stranger and furthermore, can't be bothered with doing a private transfer. So look for them to show up at your local gun shop.

58 minutes ago, trapoholic said:

Yes indeed! I firmly believe that there are hundreds right here in NJ that will never be used by anyone in that family again. Most will end up at your local gun shop. Most widows or even elder hunters cannot be bothered with showing the rifle to a stranger and furthermore, can't be bothered with doing a private transfer. So look for them to show up at your local gun shop.

A few years back I sold a rifle to a gent. Turned out to be a real nice guy and we got to chatting. He was a collector of firearms. He showed me a small amount of his collection which was enormous. He was a Vietnam Vet, kinda of ill. A single guy with no immediate family. I tried to contact him a bit ago but he had moved with no forwarding address. I often wonder what happened to him and if he passed what would happen to that collection. 

4 hours ago, trapoholic said:

Yes indeed! I firmly believe that there are hundreds right here in NJ that will never be used by anyone in that family again. Most will end up at your local gun shop. 

Yep. I've picked up 3, stole them really from local shops in the last year or 2.

A first year production 1952 in 30-06 with 22 inch barrel.

A 1965 30-06 with a 22 inch barrel.

And a 1971 BDL Deluxe with basket weave checkering in .270 Winchester with 22 inch barrel.

It was obvious that all 3 had sat in a closet for years. The 1965 was so full of dust that the muzzle was plugged solid with dust and you couldn't see the rifling, I was amazed that it even went up for sale in that manner. 

Have a 760 in 30-06 that was my uncles.  He gave it to me before he passed.  That gun has killed more PA deer in the several years that I've had it than any number of guns that I own.  Every time I pull the trigger I think of him and get a little choked up.  A few years ago I came across a mint 760 in .308 for a pretty good price and couldn't turn it down.  Mounted a Leupold VXII on it and it sat ever since.  Never even shot it yet.  This spring I'll sight it in (so I say), but it'll never take the place of the 30-06.  

If any hunting guns could talk I'd venture to say 760's/7600's would have the best stories.

10 minutes ago, B B said:

Have a 760 in 30-06 that was my uncles.  He gave it to me before he passed.  That gun has killed more PA deer in the several years that I've had it than any number of guns that I own.  Every time I pull the trigger I think of him and get a little choked up.  A few years ago I came across a mint 760 in .308 for a pretty good price and couldn't turn it down.  Mounted a Leupold VXII on it and it sat ever since.  Never even shot it yet.  This spring I'll sight it in (so I say), but it'll never take the place of the 30-06.  

If any hunting guns could talk I'd venture to say 760's/7600's would have the best stories.

Is your .308 Cal 760 a Factory Carbine or the standard 22" barrel?

19 minutes ago, B B said:

If that .308 is a carbine are you looking g to sell it ? 742's have alot to say as well as far as hunting stories go

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

Very nice, congrats and good luck with it. I use a lever action rifle myself but i use a pump action shotgun more 😄... fathers service buddy who lived in PA hunted with a Rem pump rifle...what model i don't know but it was chambered in 308 his son used 1 in 270. Very reliable and they took many deer and black bear with them over the years. Sadly the guy passed in 2000 from a heart attack.