IGNORED

Iowa nonresident hunting

2lungking

Hello members I am looking for anyone with experience hunting Iowa whats the process of just buying points for a future hunt ? Do you have to buy a license just to get a point like in some western states. What are the good zones to hunt and how many years does it take.

Tia

No you don’t need to buy license to buy points. Depending on weapon choice depends on how many points you need. Some of the best zones take 3-4 points to draw. Go to Iowa DNR website and look at zone maps, draw statistics and all the stuff for Non residents. I hunt southern Iowa but know people who hunt other parts and they do very well. If you are going with a outfitter see what zone he is in and you will see how long it will take to draw. Hunting license is not cheap then add in the preference points.

3 minutes ago, Whitetail31 said:

No you don’t need to buy license to buy points. Depending on weapon choice depends on how many points you need. Some of the best zones take 3-4 points to draw. Go to Iowa DNR website and look at zone maps, draw statistics and all the stuff for Non residents. I hunt southern Iowa but know people who hunt other parts and they do very well. If you are going with a outfitter see what zone he is in and you will see how long it will take to draw. Hunting license is not cheap then add in the preference points.

Thanks for the quick response would you happen to know if its too late to buy a point ?

45 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

Maybe Zipper will chime in @Zipper

Negative.  Too many pencil necks from NJ coming out. 😆.  The Draw is in May 53 bucks a point. Do yourself a favor and hunt Kansas. More friendly to non residents,  cheaper,  easier to get a tag, and deer very similar. 

"All men die, not all men really live". WW