IGNORED

Looking for Hunting Mentor

skk3786

First of all let me say thank you to everybody for the quick responses and warm welcomes.  I've tried to look for some hunting help/guidance on a couple of other hunting websites and did not receive anything near the response I received on here.  To the few of you who mentioned possibly being able to do some mentoring, I very much appreciate it and will send you a PM.  I'll try and respond to the follow up posts on here:

- Unfortunately I bought the .22lr before taking hunter's ed and realizing it wouldn't be of too much use in NJ.  I still enjoy shooting it at the range and hopefully I'll be able to put it to use when I'm in PA.   That being said, squirrel hunting was something that I was interested in doing.  Anyone have recommendations for a good, affordable air rifle for squirrel hunting?  Is there a minimum FPS or caliber I should be looking for?

- I think one person asked about my brother's and parents' properties.  Unfortunately they are too small for hunting.  I would be looking to do public land for the most part.

- As for what I'd like to hunt for, I'm interested in squirrel, deer, waterfowl, and maybe eventually some turkey hunting.  As for fishing, I'm looking to do freshwater primarily.  My brother's  place in the Poconos is on a lake so that would be convenient.

- If anyone had a baseline list of gear I should be starting with, that would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thank you everybody for the responses and help.  I'm looking forward to getting started here.

Edited by skk3786

19 minutes ago, skk3786 said:

First of all let me say thank you to everybody for the quick responses and warm welcomes.  I've tried to look for some hunting help/guidance on a couple of other hunting websites and did not receive anything near the response I received on here.  To the few of you who mentioned possibly being able to do some mentoring, I very much appreciate it and will send you a PM.  I'll try and respond to the follow up posts on here:

- Unfortunately I bought the .22lr before taking hunter's ed and realizing it wouldn't be of too much use in NJ.  I still enjoy shooting it at the range and hopefully I'll be able to put it to use when I'm in PA.   That being said, squirrel hunting was something that I was interested in doing.  Anyone have recommendations for a good, affordable air rifle for squirrel hunting?  Is there a minimum FPS or caliber I should be looking for?

- I think one person asked about my brother's and parents' properties.  Unfortunately they are too small for hunting.  I would be looking to do public land for the most part.

- As for what I'd like to hunt for, I'm interested in squirrel, deer, waterfowl, and maybe eventually some turkey hunting.  As for fishing, I'm looking to do freshwater primarily.  My brother's  place in the Poconos is on a lake so that would be convenient.

- If anyone had a baseline list of gear I should be starting with, that would be greatly appreciated.

Again, thank you everybody for the responses and help.  I'm looking forward to getting started here.

Shoot me a pm, I would love to help build you out a gear list. I love that kinda stuff.

I'll start with listing some essentials.  Dinners almost ready so others can add to it.

License, permits, and holder for your back, weapon, ammo, case or other items dedicated to the weapon

Appropriate clothing for the weather.  Can dive into this deeper or keep it simple.

Flashlight,toilet paper, knife, gutting kit {pen, paper towels, zip ties and or baby pins, latex gloves}, drag rope

Phone with gps and/or compass if roaming unknown land

Stand if using one and steps that don't damage tree if on public, safety harness, pull up cord, folding saw.

Then there will be other items particular to the game your hunting like decoys, or grunt tube, rattling horns

Some will add binos, rangefinder, milkweed or other wind indicator, headlamp along with the flashlight, deer cart and/or sled, large trash bag as quick shelter and or tree umbrella, cushion or seat for ground hunting, thermacell for mosquitoes

Dinner is ready, please continue anyone

For squirrel hunting, don't frown upon using the 12gauge. Small game shells are cheap (well, should be cheap - under $10 a box) and its fun shooting the shotgun. Though, I do like using an airgun because it is quieter and you can usually take a few shots at different squirrels before they know "something's up." Using  a shotgun, usually its one shot and done for 10 or 15 minutes as they run into hiding.

Airgun - I use a .22 but you can use a .17. I bought a cheap Benjamin Titan - but in the end, I didn't like the scope OR the trigger so I replaced them both. What I thought was a cheap $100 airgun cost me double that with the new scope and trigger :) .  I'm also on my third scope (the replacement went bad - airguns are murder on scopes - even scopes rated for airguns).

Also, be careful when you shop for airguns. I bought mine in Delaware, and on the shelves there you will find some airguns that are illegal in NJ (any with sound dampeners (I refuse to call them silencers) will be illegal). Just research before you buy so you don't buy any that are illegal here (have I mentioned, I hate NJ?  :angry:)

Stay off Newjerseyhunter.com

The people here are much better

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

pick up a .22 cal pellet rifle for squirells. shotguns work. but pellet rifles feel more like hunting. once pellet rifles became legal in nj i stopped using my shotgun. if you check out the fish and game cooking forum here youll find a few good recipes for cooking squirells. they are good eating if you do it right. good luck out there

On 2/18/2021 at 7:51 PM, skk3786 said:

Thanks for starting the list Greybeard.  I'll start sending out some PMs shortly.  The site makes you post a few times before being able to send messages.

Unfortunately we have to do that to thwart spammers. Hopefully you’ve now hit enough posts to PM others.  Good luck as you venture into the out of doors!  Lots of great people here that are more than willing to help as you see. 

Hey everybody.  I'm looking to become a hunter as an adult and I am in need of some help.  I passed hunter safety towards the end of last year and picked up my NJ firearms hunting license.  I currently own a 12 gauge and a .22lr.  As a little background, I'm 34 years old and I don't have any hunting experience and only a little fishing experience, but I am interested in both.  I'm interested in eventually hunting everything from from small game to big game to waterfowl.  I currently live in Camden County and my folks have a place in Burlington County.  My brother has a place right across the river from NJ in Dingmans Ferry, PA, so I'm pretty flexible on location within the state.  If anyone thinks they could be of some help or point me in the right direction, feel free to message me directly.

Welcome

You are a bit far from me but shoot me a message I’ll give ya any and all advice tips answer questions.

Welcome to the brotherhood!

Doesn’t matter how long you take to find your path as long as you found it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey SKK, welcome, I'm another adult novice here, and it can feel like your drinking from a hosepipe with everything to take in.  There is a lot great advice from the previous replies you've received here, and on this site in general. I find answers to most questions I have in the forums before I even need to ask.  The classifieds can be a good resource too. I grabbed 4 copies of the Digest, free at Walmart, one for the truck, one for my bag, one in at work and one in the 'throneroom' and have one downloaded on my laptop. Get as familiar as you can with the regs, season by season.  Finally, with or without a mentor, get out into the woods, put all those hours of youtube videos to use, be observant.  Best of luck.