IGNORED

GLOCK 21 DISCHARGE

RPK0620

9 hours ago, bushden said:

Nope when sitting in the stand waiting for a deer to show at a moments notice I am loaded and ready to fire and if I make a mistake and bump the gun and it goes off I do not risk hitting my wife or kids.  When in a field environment tactically moving with weapon in hand it is always loaded  ready to fire. At home is a different story, I am not in the ready position waiting every second for an an intruder to come through the door, I  am taking reasonable safety precautions to protect my family from an  accidental discharge and if the day comes where I feel I need to protect them I will have weapon in hand ready to react.

So if I live alone do you think it’s acceptable to bring a loaded gun into the house since there is no chance of hitting your family?  

1 minute ago, Bubblehead said:

So if I live alone do you think it’s acceptable to bring a loaded gun into the house since there is no chance of hitting your family?  

If you live alone with no one else in the house you minimize the risk to anyone but yourself but the original point here was this guy f'd up and dropped his loaded gun and it went off he was lucky it did not hurt any one in his family. I myself clear my chamber before gun comes in the house. That could never have happened to me with an empty chamber when I entered the house. My gut tells me there is more to the story than we are hearing. 

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

On 2/17/2021 at 3:31 PM, OldMenRule said:

Interesting comment. I think for most the thought of pointing, never mind using a firearm on another is indeed foreign if not frightening. I took a firearms self defense course a bit ago, the instructor was a truly no nonsense guy which I appreciated. He kept repeating that is you pull a gun it will more then likely be used, either by you or against you.     

Unfortunately in my line of work pointing a weapon at a person is often the rule and not the exception. 

On 2/17/2021 at 5:52 PM, bushden said:

If you live alone with no one else in the house you minimize the risk to anyone but yourself but the original point here was this guy f'd up and dropped his loaded gun and it went off he was lucky it did not hurt any one in his family. I myself clear my chamber before gun comes in the house. That could never have happened to me with an empty chamber when I entered the house. My gut tells me there is more to the story than we are hearing. 

A Large majority negligent/accidental discharges occur when loading or unloading the weapon, that's why many Police Depts Have installed bullet traps or use a bucket filled with sand for said purpose.  Trust me I have seen the bullet holes in many places, but every man needs to know his abilities and what he is comfortable with..  

On 2/17/2021 at 10:35 AM, bushden said:

I agree in part, the part I do not agree is I do not believe most here carry every day and they are not trained to react with discipline. Just my opinion.

What I do know is that I have no clue who anyone on here is or isn't and it doesn't change the fact that what works for me most likely won't work for you...  As far as what I'm trained for that's my business but it doesn't change the actual facts that the more you load and unload a weapon the higher the chance for a problem, also the overwhelming majority of those who carry a weapon for a living or carry on permits do NOT unload their weapons upon arrival at home.  

Someone mentioned Israeli carry, yes many do that but you are placing bets on the following

When I NEED to use my firearm the need will most likely be IMMEDIATE, 

I may be fighting of someone with one hand or blocking a blow from a weapon, 

I may be on the ground, wounded or in a position where I cannot use my offside hand or a part of my belt, shoe etc to rack the slide..

Therefore I'll leave the Israeli Carry to the Mossad, Shin Bet, Aman and anyone who feels it is right for them, Since I'm not a betting man I won't place bets on my life..

Edited by Bowhunter458

On 2/17/2021 at 4:57 PM, flat9999 said:

It certainly is not a new concept, and even has a name - Israeli Carry.

There are many reason to carry this way, and it is also very effective as long as the training has been done. That means that you you practice drawing your handgun and manipulating the slide before firing. 

Formal defensive training and/or participation in competitive shooting is a really good way to really see how your preferences stack-up. 

Here is the Israeli post, will you bet your life that every time you will need your weapon you'll have two hands or be in a position that will allow you to rack the slide?  looks great and fast on range bur real life is way different..

On 2/17/2021 at 4:03 PM, Slayer1962 said:

NJ certainly trains us to be afraid of guns. I grew up on a farm and was shooting by 4 or 5 years old. 

I have lived in other states and carried in at least 3 states that i have lived in.

What people consider perfectly normal in Pa would scare most people in NJ

I carried every day for at least 3 years in PA. A couple years in North Carolina ( every day)

and I carry occasionally in Florida depending where i am going.

not uncommon 3 out 4 guys carrying in other states. the point is its what you are used to that sets your opinion on guns. use as you see fit and never point a loaded gun at anyone you dont plan on possibly shooting. My guns are loaded 

I don't want to turn this thread into open carry, concealed carry or various ways of carry. All I will say is being raised in NJ then moving to PA exposed me to so much I had no idea existed. I really did suffer from battered gun owner syndrome. I believed you couldn't carry in other states. Hand guns were for cops and criminals, and if people carried there would be blood and shooting all over the streets.

Let's just say I read, and read, and read, and took seminars with gun attorneys,  and read and debated, and trained. 

It took me a little over a year to decide to carry. I did not take it lightly.  At this was after having a gun stuck under my chin and the trigger pulled twice when I was 19 outside of my college dorm in Chester PA.

Like I will repeat. I have 4 firearm stores in 20 minutes of my home. 2 have indoor ranges. There are 3 indoor ranges within 15 minutes, and about 4 SHOOTING clubs within 30 minutes that have over 200 members each and a waiting list. 

It is way way different over here. Splitting a delivered purchase of 1000's of rounds is common.

But, still want to see the mechanical investigation for that glock.

Edited by thefirstndsecond

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford

26 minutes ago, Bowhunter458 said:

Someone mentioned Israeli carry, yes many do that but you are placing bets on the following

When I NEED to use my firearm the need will be most likely be IMMEDIATE, 

I may be fighting of someone with one hand or blocking a blow from a weapon, 

I may be on the ground, wounded or in a position where I cannot use my offside hand or a part of my belt, shoe etc to rack the slide..

Therefore I'll leave the Israeli Carry to the Mossad, Shin Bet, Aman and anyone who feels it is right for them, Since I'm not a betting man I won't place bets on my life..

This is the reason why when I go to the range to shoot I rotate through different stances and one- and two-handed shooting with both hands.  When you need to shoot a gun, you most likely won't be in the ideal shooting stance.  I also found out that I am a better shot one-handed with my left hand versus my right hand.  And I am right handed.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.